My first Vintage Gillette buy

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Chindo, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Chindo

Chindo Member

Hey guys just purchased my first classic Gillette and wanted a little help with the id it's a X4 so I think it's a 1952 but I'm fairly new to the safety razor world. Let me know what you guys think

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Going to give it a little elbow grease in a bit and see if I can clean her up a bit

VedderLG, TitanTTB and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

Congrats.....with a little elbow grease it should clean-up nicely and provide many years of good shaves.

Ed

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  3. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

SuperSpeed - 4th Qtr 1952.
    That should clean up nicely.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Great score :happy088:
    Yes a little elbow grease an old soft toothbrush, Dawn dish detergent, scrubbing bubbles, Bar keepers friend and some Mothers Mag Polish and it will shine up like new..:)

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Nice! That's the great thing about those old Gillettes. No matter how old or grungy they may appear initially, many of those ugly ducklings emerge from post-clean up as gorgeous, durable razors. Enjoy!
    [​IMG]

178-bplatoon and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  6. Chindo

Chindo Member

Thanks guys, soaked her in dish detergent and went to town with a toothbrush and cleaned up good. Going to hit it with bar keepers later tonight and polish her up.[​IMG]

7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

That does not look like the same razor. Congrats on your new razor! Very nice job! Happy Shaving!!!

8. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

Nice haul. Enjoy the Super Speed.

9. DeathFromADesk

DeathFromADesk New Member

Very nice looking piece. Faboulous clean up.

10. 178-bplatoon

She came out FANTASTIC!!!

Richard Dunbar likes this.
  11. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Well done!

12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Hey, that cleaned up nicely. It's a good shaver. Now you got to get the rest of them.

13. geeeyejo

geeeyejo Active Member

Great job! Used my 48 today. Paired with a sharp blade (get some feathers on Ebay) they give a great shave and are very forgiving versus some of their more aggressive brethren..

Chindo likes this.
  14. Chindo

Chindo Member

Oh man these guys are addicting, I want to try and shave with every single model made.

[​IMG]

Here is another set I got in the mail today. 3 of them have cracked barrels any idea how to go about repairing them??

178-bplatoon likes this.
  15. Chindo

Chindo Member

Thanks still need to do a little polishing and buff her out but I think she came out alright. Taking her for a shave tomorrow

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  16. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Why don't you join us in posting your SOTD Here

17. 178-bplatoon

Handle cracks are common in these early 3 pieces because the brass is so thin and through the years people tend to accidently over tighten them.
    While I've never tried it as the cracks in my handles haven't affected the shave as far as I can tell. From what I understand many people use some type of epoxy to fix the crack, although I don't know how that would affect replating the razor. :)

18. amazingray

amazingray New Member

I noticed some of those razors have water damage to the chrome. Best to just wipe the shaving tool clean of water residue after each shave. Great clear images!

19. geeeyejo

geeeyejo Active Member

Believe you can braze some solder in the crack as well...

20. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

As long as the teeth are all there and are not bent. You can always get an after-market handle and make a frankenrazor.