My Gillette Collection: 1914-1976

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by Proraso Man, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Proraso Man

Proraso Man New Member

Inspired by a recent post on another board exhibiting a Gillette collector's wonderful display, I decided to show off mine.

I've been a collector for almost 3 years. I started off with a very minimal collection, but soon began to love the razors and their cases, along with the Gillette story and history.

Here was my collection as of December 2006- most of these were found in 1 store after my first hunt:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ctakim

ctakim Member

Like I said once before (I think), this is a beautiful collection! THanks for sharing!

3. blackstangal

blackstangal Member

Very NICE collection!!!!!:eek:

4. Truckman

Truckman New Member

wow....what an awesome sight!

Do you have any information on the black handled brush on the 2nd shelf down? It looks like it may have a swastika on it, like one I have.

Awesome, awesome display. I'm still reeling...

5. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

WOWWWWWW!!!!

I thought I was just beginning to get a handle on my disorder. I passed on a couple of things on eBay lately. I didn't even look at it yesterday. I was doing good - really!! I wuz!! (I am in trouble now!)

I love the way you have displayed your stuff and the diversity of items. I love the blades, the brushes you've chosen, the mix of str8s and other stuff. The transition in time from shelf to shelf is great.

You have the KNACK! (or do you?) Great job!!

6. Mr. Igg

Mr. Igg New Member

That's simply stunning. Thanks for sharing!

7. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

Question: What do you NOT have?

8. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

Beautiful collection and a very impressive display case.

9. Proraso Man

Proraso Man New Member

Thank you! I found that brush locally when I was out- it does have a swastika, however I don't think it has a Nazi connection. Mine says "Sterilized Made in USA." I liked the way it looked so I picked it up :D

10. Proraso Man

Proraso Man New Member

Thanks! I used to work in merchandising and I love setting up displays. I wanted to avoid simply lining up all of my razors that I have "conquered" like a hunter's lodge. I wanted to show off the shaving era / nostalgia - with an obvious display of primarily Gillette razors.

The Straight razor, floral mug, and badger brush belonged to my great grandfather. I thought of no better place than the 20's-30's shelf.

Along my travels I also found a near mint Sears, Roebuck and Co. Craftsmen branded strop! I actually used it for a while until my Tony Miller came in ;). I looked through some old catalogs and it dates to the early 20's. I know that intact antique strops are somewhat rare so I had to display it.

Similarly, the Old Spice mug, boar brush and Gem Micromatic on the 4th shelf belonged to my grandfather. I feel good knowing that his razor stuff is right at home.

Thanks for the compliments! Razors can be great fun- and don't forget that displaying them is half the fun!

11. Proraso Man

Proraso Man New Member

LOL There are a lot of things I don't have: Gillette stuff pre-1914, US Service Set, Some New razors, Senator/Aristocrat cardboard cases, Executive, Blue TV set and many, many more. I bet I only have 1/4 of the Gillette razors out there.

But thanks, I take that as a compliment!

12. Dragon84

Dragon84 New Member

No wonder I can't find anything cool, you've bought it all! :D:D:D

13. sas71

sas71 Member

looks like you ordered everything on the menu :D

14. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Sweet setup! :eek:

15. Tinkerputzer

Tinkerputzer Member

16. Hanspleasure

Hanspleasure New Member

I keep coming back to this and lose all concentration...

17. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Looks like if you decided to shave with each one of those razors it would take you a few years to do it. None of mine are for pure display they all are working razors all doing things for me.

18. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Beautiful sight. I could stand and stare all day long.

19. s&g'sdad

s&g'sdad Member

Holy crap!!!

Aaron

20. OneRand

OneRand New Member

Some of those are real nice.