My Gillette Fatboy Is Ruined!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by minderasr, Jan 25, 2009.

1. minderasr

minderasr Member

I've been happily shaving with a Merkur HD (34C) for months now, using feather blades. Lately my shaves have become mediocre so I decided to dip into the collection and grabbed my 1958 Fatboy. At first it felt as if no hair was getting cut, so (against better judgement) I kept opening up the adjustment. Had the razor set to 6 before I started seeing decent results. Getting a nice close shave, but at the cost of some razor burn.

What once was my "go to" razor, and considered a personal favorite, now seems weak at best. I'm very sad. Perhaps I'll break out the Merkur Progress and give that a go for a while.

Just saying.
    :cool:

2. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

So, um, erm, whatcha gonna do with that fatboy?

Just askin'. :cool:

3. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Yeah, what he said. What are you going to do with the Fatboy?? Does he need a new, loving home?? Kinda curious ya know?

4. minderasr

minderasr Member

Gonna keep it, and love it, and call it my own!

:D

5. Ramaniac

Ramaniac Member

My Merkur is much more forgiving than my 61 FB. I decided to get it in the rotation a few days ago and was instantly greeted by razor burn...funny it was at the 6 level too!

You really have to go light with that razor, no push at all. I also have a 57 SS that I am afraid of right now. When the summer rolls around, I am going to learn how to use that razor and not cut myself.

6. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Change your blade.

Check with Rodd to see if the "feeler" test will work for you. Something about a guide being just out of alignment. Its a Rodd thing, he understands these things.

7. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Romaniac - Don't be afraid of that '57 Superspeed. My '57 SS is my favorite razor (forgiving and still capable of a close shave). Granted my only other razors are a Fatboy and a Knack, but the SS is by far the best. I find it is best with the "not quite feather sharp" blades like the Astra Superior and Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (yellow).

8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

i cranked out a shave with my Gdad's 57 SS and a feather one day last week. Awesome shave for a danged ole DE.

Fuzzy

9. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

Drat. :D