My Journey Begins... Sorta

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by dustmite, Jan 9, 2017.

1. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Waterville 2 - Me 0... I managed to make myself bleed in the exact same spot as the first time. I'm wondering if there is some kind of blemish or bump that I can't feel, but the razor finds. Other than that, I managed to do an almost-full WTG pass with the straight, leaving only the jawline and chin. Clean up with the DE proved the straight to be a much closer shave, there was hardly anything left in the areas that I hit with it.

2. Rugger007

Rugger007 Active Member

IMO the only way to learn the skill is to do it. Start with the cheeks only and finish with a DE. Do this for a while and then add in the upper lip, and keep progressing this way with the grain. Once WTG is comfortable you follow the same progression XTG and then finally ATG. In no time you will be rockin' it. Maintenance is very easy, get a strop from Lary @ Whipped Dog, paste the back side and your in business. Strop 50 on clean leather before and after each shave and the edge will remain sharp for some time. When that is no longer sufficient 6 laps on the pasted side followed by 50 on leather and your in business. You can keep a razor going like this for a very long time. In the event you need it honed there are many here whom will take care of you. Once you use a straight you will never go back to a DE.

dustmite, Billyfergie and twhite like this.