My lathering doesn't get creamy and dense.

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by venom0706, Mar 13, 2014.

1. venom0706

venom0706 Guest

Can someone enlighten me on a few questions, please?

So, I recently got into DE shaving. I learned some of the stuff, however, a new questions arise.

I have a box of TOOBS (Sandalwood, 150gr) and a Wilkinson Sword shaving brush. When I prepare my
    lathering in this (Boots plastic shaving bowl): 20140313_103348.jpg , then when I apply it, the lathering doesn't get really dense or creamy on my face. At least it is good enough for a decent shave. However, another problem is that the bowl, as you can see, is really small and a certain amount of the cream goes out when I circle the brush inside in order to make the lathering.

I tried another bowl, this one (a cheap porcelain bowl for soup and eating): 20140313_103314.jpg I thought things would get better, but this time the lather didn't really "happen". The cream became really soapy and watery and did not get dense at all. In the previous bowl at least I got some kind of lathering.

I am wondering whether if it's the bowl, my brush or the amount of water and cream in the bowls that causes my poor lathering. Can you please tell me what the problem might be, and maybe recommend me a decent bowl or technique to make a good lathering? Thank you.

2. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

When in doubt, double the amount of product you are using.

"The cream became really soapy and watery and did not get dense at all. " indicates to me that you have too much water for the amount of cream you have.

Monkeylord and Chuck F like this.
  3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

How long did you work your lather? Try staring with a little less water and then slowly adding water as you mix up your lather...Although I've never used a Wilkinson Sword shaving brush, if I had to put blame on any of the tools, I'd lean towards the brush as a possible problem..
    The tools I've used for the last 2 years are a Chinese stainless steel bowl I got off ebay with the same dimensions as the VDH ceramic bowl and a bestshave #6 horse hair brush...
    While I've gotten decent lather from a variety of products(mostly melt & pour soaps) using these tools...I've recently started using Arko shave soap(tallow)...MAN that stuff is "FANTASTIC" and at a "VERY" affordable price!!!!:happy088:

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Read this ---> *click*

5. venom0706

venom0706 Guest

So maybe I put too much water in the bowl from the second picture. I didn't only soak the brush, I put some water in the bowl as well. So is it possible to get a good lathering in the second bowl (no matter that it is porcelain), by getting wet only the brush and then putting it in the bowl and start swirling?

6. Dusan

Dusan Active Member

Looks like you have a lot of water for cream, like someone said above.

You don't really need water in bowl.. put some water in bowl and spill it, those few drops that catch on walls of it are enough.
    Soak your brush for 5 minutes at least, and shake it out well, don't leave all water in it. Put cream in bowl, start swirling , circuling, painting, mixing, etc, and progressively add 3-4 drops of water until you get nice creamy lather. Can't miss it that way.

Also go on youtube and search for lathering...you will find a bunch of useful videos.

7. venom0706

venom0706 Guest

Thanks! So, will it work in that big porcelain bowl on the second picture? Does it matter that it is made of porcelain?

8. Heloguy

Heloguy Well-Known Member

try face lathering. load your brush with the cream, and applt it right to your face and work the lather up. you can dip your brush tip in water to hydrate the lather as needed.

SRNewb likes this.
  9. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

It does not matter if the bowl is porcelain, fine china, stainless steel, or a plastic cup like you find in a motel room. The bowl merely holds the soap so that you can inject air and water into it.

10. BroonsBane

BroonsBane Member

I can't really add much to what others are saying other than to follow their advice and keep practising. It will get better and it will get better fast. In a few short weeks my lather has gone from an initial soupy mess to too dry, and now to a rich creamy goodness that my grandfather would be proud of :)

Troy M and Chuck F like this.
  11. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Keep mashing and swirling. Eventually it thickens up. In time you will get a feel for the ideal brush wetness to get you there the fastest. Also, some soaps take a few times to "break in," then they will require less work.

12. Dusan

Dusan Active Member

Also, as much as I have informations, Palmolive and Nivea shaving creams are available in UK in supermarkets, go and buy some so you can practice on inexpensive items(but great!).

13. bzero007

bzero007 Active Member

Quick question is this the cream in the tube or the cream in the tub?
    Cream in the tube I would agree with an earlier poster saying not enough cream and or too much water.
    Cream in the tub I would suggest building the lather in the package tub its self. If this is the case I have some watery foam proof steps when it comes to the great TOBS Sandalwood cream.

14. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Use more product.

SRNewb likes this.