My "New" acquisition

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Razor Blade 79, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Razor Blade 79

Razor Blade 79 Well-Known Member

Just got done scrubbing my latest eBay score, a Gillette New OC short comb. This is my first OC razor. So far I'm digging the stripped look but I might re-plate later.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

vwp528, ObiDon, Slow Joe and 12 others like this.
  2. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Nice! I love my New SC (that's if you can actually love an inanimate object)

3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I like my "NEW". I have it mated to a greistshaving "FAT" brass handle. :)

4. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Nice. I just used a New LC this morning. Maybe try what I'm gonna try...Polish it up and lacquer it.

5. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Sweet...very nice. The New is next on my RAD list. I'll bet you beat me out on eBay for this one LOL!

6. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Very nice find. The NEW might be the best razor Gillette ever made. I like Techs too but they don't feel quite as solid as a NEW. Here's a long-comb I replated. I definitely recommend replating. It'll keep that razor going another 80 or so years.
    [​IMG]

178-bplatoon, ObiDon, BigMark and 4 others like this.
  7. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Looking sweet! Enjoy it!

8. Razor Blade 79

What is that, Nickle? Looks awesome! Where did you get it done? I think I want to replate mine.

feeltheburn likes this.
  9. feeltheburn

I did it myself with a kit from Caswell Plating. Probably looks amateurish but I just wanted to learn how to do it. I did it in nickel first and then Black Chrome over that.

10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Had a great shave with mine today. It's definitely one of the top 5 Gillette ever produced.

11. Razor Blade 79

I just polished it further with a packet of ketchup, it removed all the tarnish.

image.jpg image.jpg

12. feeltheburn

Looks great! Ketchup? That's a new one to me but I guess if it works it works. :)

13. Razor Blade 79

Well ketchup has acid, vinegar, and salt in it. That removed the tarnish it had. Took me like 2 min to do lol. Just run it under warm water after to remove the ketchup once your done rubbing it in.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  14. BudWhite

BudWhite Well-Known Member

Ketchup huh? Nice.

I wouldn't even bother replating. That looks good.

Bristle Me likes this.
  15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I love my NEW SC if it is possible to love an inanimate object. I had mine plated with bright nickel. It may even shave better. Maybe that is just in my head. new_plated0a.jpg

16. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Check out Chris Evatt at Razor Plate (www.razorplate.com). He just finished my '58 Executive. Sent me this pic just before shipping...

upload_2014-9-6_16-46-34.png

He also did an old Tech that I'm giving as a gift. He stripped the old plating to find the original Gillette logo etched on the top cap. He "saved" the etching and it's now visible again.

Boojum1, 178-bplatoon, ObiDon and 3 others like this.
  17. Razor Blade 79

Who did your plate job?

Boojum1 likes this.
  18. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Sam Duran did mine. http://www.kronakruiserrazors.com/ However, for unknown reasons, he is not taking any work at this time. But you can see some of his work.

"Due to unforseen circumstances, replating services are not provided at this time." Krona Kruiser

Boojum1 likes this.
  19. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Very nice. Good choice with the gold.

Boojum1 likes this.
  20. BudWhite

BudWhite Well-Known Member

That guy at Razorplate might just be getting my NEW LC real soon. Impressive gallery!

Boojum1 likes this.