My New Double-Ring

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jayaruh, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    1905 Gillette Double Ring

The wife and I went to a new vintage store today. It was pretty awesome. Too much to see. I missed the shaving section. On the way out I mentioned that if they ever got any shaving related stuff I would like to know. "Oh, you didn't see our shaving section," she replied.

Well, I followed her over to a nook that had quite a few razors: Valet, Gem, Schick, Gillette, and a few straights. There were three vintage brushes too. Evidently they had belonged to an old gentleman who had just passed away a couple of weeks ago. The "booth" was run my him and his wife. She still maintained it. Anyhow, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this Gillette Double Ring. This is the first one I have ever seen in real life. I also could not believe what I saw on the tag: 25-. I took it to the clerk and asked her about it. She said it was $25. I said, "I'll take it."

Below are the pictures I took after getting it home. After the pictures I cleaned up the razor. It is silver, so the tarnish remains, but I will get some silver polish and get rid of that.

double_ring_01.jpg
    double_ring_02.jpg
    double_ring_03.jpg
    double_ring_05.jpg

The serial number, 225238, indicates that it was made in 1905.
    This razor is 112 years old. Wow.

After the initial cleaning, here is what it looks like:

double_ring_06.JPG
    double_ring_07.JPG
    double_ring_08.JPG
    double_ring_09.JPG

If I had the silver polish, I would be working on it right now. I will wait and get some when we go out tomorrow. For now, though, I have my own 1905 Gillette Double Ring razor.

2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Congrats. There is simply something really good about using old tools, whether for shaving or other work.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

LOOT and Jayaruh like this.
  3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Jim, that is a great find! Congratulations!

Jayaruh likes this.
  4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

5. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Oh Jim congrats buddy! Wowsers! What a gem of a razor. I'm happy for tou

Jayaruh likes this.
  6. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Use foil , boiling water, and baking soda with a dash of salt

7. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Nice find. Congratulations Jim!
    They are fun to shave with.

Jayaruh likes this.
  8. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

good find......

Jayaruh likes this.
  9. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

A double ring with straight teeth, no barrel crack and a case for $25!
    Excellent find Jim.

Puma, Jayaruh and Jorvaljr like this.
  10. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    You know it. It was pretty grungy, but that mostly came off with not much trouble. The teeth are all there and are straight, and as you said there are no cracks on the barrel. The blade bank is wrong, but I am seeing those for $20 on eBay. I am just thrilled to have a double ring.

TitanTTB, lightcs1776 and mrchick like this.
  11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Goddards Silver polish, and a tooth brush. This is very very easy on silver plating. I used this on many silver plated razors, and have had zero issues.
    I brush it on, very liberally,and let it sit for a couple of minutes. I then use the toothbrush again, and brush some more, in all the cracks and crevices. Then use dish soap(Palmolive) to get it all off. This has worked every time.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    Linuxguile, mrchick and Jayaruh like this.
  12. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Jim, I'm happy for ya my friend! Very nice pick up. I felt the same way about my NEW when I found it. Of course I didn't know at the time exactly what I had, I just knew it was old.

Linuxguile, mrchick and Jayaruh like this.
  13. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Thank you. I think I will be cleaning and polishing this razor in my sleep tonight. I am looking forward to getting rid of the tarnish. I will look into the Goddards.

mrchick likes this.
  14. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Yes, the NEW was my second vintage find. I love it. I even had it replated. One of my top razors.

mrchick likes this.
  15. LKLive13

LKLive13 Well-Known Member

Very cool find! I wish we all had the luck! Congrats!!!

Jayaruh likes this.
  16. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Great score Jim. Those finds are the ones we remember forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jayaruh likes this.
  17. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Great score Jim! Congratulations! That is the score of a lifetime. Good Show Sir!

Linuxguile and Jayaruh like this.
  18. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Washing soda works better, if you have it. I picked up mine in the 'swimming pool maintenance' section of Wal-Mart.

The last silver plated item I tried to use it on, however, it cleaned up the silver pretty well - but the exposed brass turned NASTY. Apparently the copper in the brass must have been MUCH more attractive to the sulphur compounds than the aluminum. So I still had to resort to other polish *sigh*.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  19. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Hm. I guess I should post up the picture of my 1907 razor. I'll have to find a contemporary case for it.

Jayaruh and Jorvaljr like this.
  20. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Nice razor stunning price, congrats.

Jayaruh likes this.