My next DE razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Adonis, May 8, 2014.

1. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

Looking for some recommendations for my next razor. Currently using a Microtouch One, which by all counts is a fairly "mild" razor. I think my next razor should also be fairly mild, as I shave daily and don't have coarse/dense hair at all. I'd like to keep it under $40 (incl shipping) if possible. Maybe with a longer handle, as I shave my dome :)

Thanks in advance!

2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Hi and welcome...

How do you feel about vintage (used, usually) razors?

3. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

Actually I would love to go vintage... I wish I could remember what razor my gramps used. I think it was a Gillette but not sure. He was a DE shaver my whole life :)

gorgo2 likes this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Well, since you're shooting for more mild than not, a longer handle and possibly a Gillette, the first ones that come to my mind are the Super Adjustable (in a class by itself) and/or the Lady Gillette, which plenty of guys use; I used to have a few myself. The trick would be finding either for under $40, especially the S.A.

An alternative would be choosing one of dozens of long after-market handles, and adding a plain old Tech head in your choice of gold or nickel. The Techs are invariably mild but excellent shavers. That would be the most cost effective route.

BigMark likes this.
  5. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

Cool.. I will check into those...

6. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

:signs011:. although I like my Franektech. A Tech Head with a Weber Bulldog Handle.

Adonis and gorgo2 like this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I adore Frankenrazors. They have a charm all their own.

8. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Yes, they are Frankntech and Frankenweber. While I have been using my Frankentech I find the Weber head does a good job on a Tradere Handle. I know the bulldog lets you maneuver more but it definitely has to do with weight.

9. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

I moved from the Weishi (which I think is the same as the Microtouch) to the RazoRock Mission. Slightly more aggressive, but still a mild razor. It has a longer, solid brass, heavy handle and comes with 20 blades. I really like the razor, especially the $25 shipped price. You can find it on amazon, eBay or Joe's website italianbarber.com.

Adonis likes this.
  10. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I love the slim adjustable. Somewhere around $40.00 on e-bay.

11. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Vintage, mild, and maybe a longer handle...
    The Super Adjustable and the Lady Gillette are good suggestions and here's a couple more that come to mind.
    Gillette Knack
    Schick Krona
    Both are late 60's/early 70's so they're pretty easy to find, both are relatively mild, and both feature a longer handle. Google images of both and compare the handles. The Gillette handle gets thinner near the bottom while the Schick flares out. I picked up a Gillette Knack for $6 at an antique store and I picked up a Schick Krona for $13 at an antique fair. A good cleaning with Scrubbing Bubbles and a toothbrush and they're great shavers for little money.

gorgo2 and Adonis like this.
  12. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I strongly suggest a Schick Krona. That razor has become my go to razor. It's mild, yet efficient. They can still be found for reasonably cheap.

gorgo2, Adonis and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Ryan, I just bought a really nice one for $20.

Ryan B, gorgo2 and Adonis like this.
  14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Agreed...:signs011:

Adonis likes this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Of the two (Knack or Krona), I'd go with the Krona first only because the tapered handle on the Knack, while grippy, annoyed me to no end. The Krona's flare toward the end is a really cool feature. Shavewise they're about the same, if memory serves.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  16. TheStyx

TheStyx Active Member

I agree. I'd choose the Krona over The Knack any day of the week. The shave is pretty much the same, ie pretty mild, but the Krona has a nicer handle and in my opinion it looks better too. I have two of each and I use them all regularly, but I think I use the Kronas a bit more often.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.