My Pot Farm (Calm Down, joke... Container Vegetable Gardening)

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Bama Samurai, May 23, 2018.

1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Growing herbs and other edible plants is fun, and can add variety and flavor to your kitchen! I only dabble in it. If you do container or raised bed, or gardening of a larger scale, I'd love to hear from you and see your plants!

Fresno Chile
    [​IMG]

gorgo2, Paul76, RaZorBurn123 and 7 others like this.
  2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Not container gardening, but raised beds.... I had a 20k gallon koi pond that decided to take out after most of the fish died in Hurricane Sandy. The boulders were the waterfall for the pond and rather than pay to remove them all, I turned them into a garden. I have herbs along the top and veggies down below. Here is a pic from last year.

garden.jpg

*Edit to add.... In this garden I had Okra, tomatoes, cucumbers, yellow squash, zucchini, anaheim peppers, ghost chiles, Carolina reapers, butternut and buttercup squash, and a bunch of herbs along the top. Also had flowers throughout as well.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    gorgo2, Erik Redd, Paul76 and 10 others like this.
  3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

4. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I remember smoking pot,.... or do I? :signs002:

Keithmax and Slipperyjoe like this.
  5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I grow herbs hydroponically.

Keithmax likes this.
  6. Bama Samurai

This is the internet... ;)

7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I just use the internet to order them, not grow them. ;)

8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Nice pepper! :D

9. Bama Samurai

Thanks!

10. Bama Samurai

Very nice!

PanChango likes this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Nope, no home growing weeds for me, though it is not a state crime in Colorado for any adult to grow cannabis in their own home. I was making a bad pun.

Cannabaceae is an important family of plants. Its members includes hops, hemp and medicinal cannabis, and many ornamental plants. Some noxious weeds as well. Hemp or cannabis is one of the oldest cultivated plants known to civilization, and was like grown originally for its seed and oil. Anthropologists believe early humans ate it quite often, and used the oil as a skin medicine. The psychoactive properties were likely unknown at first. Hemp stalk fiber was ubiquitous in the ancient world as rope, paper, and cloth. The Mandarin character for hemp is drawn to show a plant under a protective structure, showing its early domestication.

However, a funny fact about all cannabaceae is that they do not make flowers that have petals. The beautiful little flower petals on my plant are very common to many chili (capsicum) plants.

gorgo2, Keithmax and RyX like this.
  12. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Sweet 100 cherry tomato:
    IMG_20180526_130756.jpg

And just the very beginnings of an ornamental chile called Numex Easter:
    IMG_20180526_124037.jpg

Fingers crossed on the Numex Easter. It's my first time growing them from seeds. They have tiny, 3/4 inch pods that point upward, in clusters that look kind of like flowers. They start out purple and end up orange. Very cool looking plant. They're meant to be ornamental, but they are edible.

gorgo2, RyX, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

My wife just planted a couple of the golden triangles best.

RyX and Bama Samurai like this.
  14. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

No pics because, frankly, I'm too lazy. But, I've got a few pots out on my back stoop: Italian basil (already grown), beefsteak tomato (flowering, but no fruit yet), and some Thai chilis ("mouse turd chilis") which are just starting to fruit. Looking to add some grape tomatoes in the next week or so.

RyX, Frijolero and Bama Samurai like this.
  15. Bama Samurai

Please show the chiles as it grows.

Very cool, be sure to drop some pics as it matures.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    RyX, Frijolero and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  16. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

It's legal in New York now? ;)

RyX, Frijolero and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  17. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Will do. It's not my type of thing but it helps with my wife's fibromyalgia.

RyX, Frijolero and Bama Samurai like this.
  18. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Will do. Eventually pictures of the garden too. Not much to look at yet.
    This year it's cucumbers, onions, carrots, NuMex 6-4 and Big Jim chiles, tomatoes, corn, green beans, and butternut squash. The last three all together, what native Americans called the three sisters.
    Also some dill. I didn't plant it this year, but I left some to go to seed last year and a few sprouts have popped up.

Bama Samurai and RyX like this.
  19. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Added a pot of grape tomatoes today as well as a pot of dragon chilis.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  20. RyX

RyX DoH!

No photos at the moment, but next visit to my folks I'll snap a couple. Dad picked up a six pack of tomatoes that I was able to seperate into 8 larger pots. They've since gone into the garden I tilled, along with radishes, okra, and eggplant. I need to weed the asparagus patch so the sprouts can be picked as they show up. The volunteer spearmint has already been harvested once this season. I pick it and hang to dry for cool minty sweet tea. Ran out last winter so I'm going to put more aside this season. The mulberries, dewberries, and black berries have already finished their time. The satsumas, navels, mandarin, Texas sweet, and blood oranges are done blooming with fruit set on. Maybe we'll have a better crop than last year. First it was too dry, then a couple freezes damaged both fruit and trees. Pecans seem to be producing, the figs are getting bigger, and kumquats are blooming. I need to check on the blueberries!

Bama Samurai and PanChango like this.