My second wet-shaving purchase

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Pilotcld, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Pilotcld

Pilotcld Well-Known Member

Some people in the den already know how I got into wet-shaving. If you don't know, there's a post somewhere in here called Inherited my great grandpa's DublDuck or something like that. Since then I have been the recipient of a few awesome PIF's that have given me a nice small shave den. My first purchase was when I started, a VDH deluxe set with mug/brush/soap.
    I finally decided I should go out and buy something for my shave den (which will also help out in my career). I'm going to be an airline pilot and need to shave everyday and wanted to find an easy razor to carry with me in my bag everywhere I go.
    This is what I found in the antique shop, and purchased today (sorry if you've already read that post.)
    Here are the before shots of my Gillette Tuckaway. The bottom of the handle says PAT JAN 12, 1920. I will be cleaning it tonight (after getting some advice and watching some videos.

My question for everyone here now is,
    How can I clean the fabric on the inside a little bit? Mostly for getting the musty smell out. I don't mind it at all if there's no way or if cleaning it would damage the fabric. But if there's a way, please enlighten me :).
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I would bet that you could spray some Febreze inside the case and it will take care of a lot of the oder. Other than that, you could fold up a dryer sheet (Bounce, etc.) and close it up inside; leave it for awhile. You might also try to carefully remove the felted layer on the inside and see if there is some goo or whatnot behind it.

3. Pilotcld

I was going to ask someone if maybe that could be very carefully taken off (and if needs be glued back in) but I didn't want to sounds stupid
    I didn't think about Febreeze though! Thanks for that idea

4. Pilotcld

Man! Look at that! [​IMG][​IMG]

Terry Williams, RyX and MR41 like this.
  5. Pilotcld

Dunno if you can tell, but it's much cleaner now, inside and out :) [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Nice razor and a good shaver.

You got a pretty good deal at $35 with the case and blade holder. Congrats.

RyX likes this.
  7. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I really dig the handle on that razor.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

BigMark83, Pilotcld and Stu929 like this.
  8. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I felt thensame way! Main reason I picked mine up. As mentioned above the handle can feel a little short but I do like the heavier more ornate handle.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

9. Pilotcld

Yeah, that's part of what really drew me to it!

SharptoothC likes this.
  10. Pilotcld

I was pretty surprised when I held it in my hand the first time. It looks like it would be much lighter than it is!
    I don't think I would've bought it if it had been much lighter

SharptoothC likes this.
  11. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:signs011:

Pilotcld likes this.
  12. RetLEO-07

IMG_0231.JPG
    English Ball end Tech ca. 1948-50 I won in a TSD Raffle. Though yours is very nice. The handle is sweet!

FaceScraper and Pilotcld like this.
  13. Pilotcld

Yours looks super clean! I think it's cool that the case has a zipper on it! It was fun to take the felt covers out of my case and clean out underneath it because I also got to see the mechanism for opening mine. Just an extra strip of metal, welded to either side of the case. It is pretty darn sweet. I tried Febreze. if it doesn't work, I'm definitely going to go with the bounce. :)

14. RetLEO-07

It was generously provided by @Sparrow. The Randomizer was with me!

Pilotcld likes this.
  15. Terry Williams

If the felt doesn't stay in place after you just press it in, then I would get some two-sided tape or, maybe, some 3M 77 (it's a spray glue; so spray some in a cup and apply with an acid brush). Anything tacky would work, but you don't want it to be permanent (i.e. epoxy, SuperGlue, model cement, wood glue, etc.). Looks really nice. Shine it up with silver or gentle metal polish. I've used Flitz and MAS in the past, but others here warn against it. So, look for something that is a polish, but not aggressive. Good luck with the restore. It already looks awesome.

Pilotcld likes this.
  16. Terry Williams

I used Flitz on this one.
    _D800101.jpg

FaceScraper and Pilotcld like this.
  17. Pilotcld

Thanks for the great advice!! I will definitely keep these in mind. So far the felt has stayed in place pretty good. But I did have to take the insert out two or three times so I could get the corners just right! It's fun to finally have a small, easy project

18. Pilotcld

That looks great!

Terry Williams likes this.
  19. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Dumb question for ya...what about the blades? Unless the rules are different for the pilots, you can't carry the blades on, correct? I'm not trying to be a smart-alec at all. It's just curiosity.
    Congrats on the razor! Very nice, and will give you many years of good shaves!!

Pilotcld and DaltonGang like this.
  20. Pilotcld

Definitely not a dumb question, and definitely not smart alec-y at all
    I asked the same question to my pilot buddies that I know because I was worried about it, cartridges ruin my face, and I don't want to bring an electric razor.

The first answer is that pilots generally have a separate line that they go through where our bags don't go through X-rays. Having said that, they do random checks every certain number of crew members that go through.
    My plan is to only take one razor with me per trip. That way if I do go through the X-ray that they do want me to throw away my razor, I only lose one blade. I can always go to the grocery store/Walgreens when I make it to my destinations and pick up some blades
    But yeah, definitely don't feel bad about asking. I think I asked about 20 people the exact same question over the last month or so.
    But yeah, generally the rule is a little different for pilots. I know a few who bring in a bunch of water with them on every flight (it's very easy to get dehydrated in the cockpit) and they don't have to throw the water out.

FaceScraper likes this.