My skin is very sensitive

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Luqman, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Luqman

Luqman New Member

Fellas,
    Glad I found this forum today.

I am shaving from the electric shavers from 3 years now.
    My skin is very sensitive, everytime I use straight razor or safety razor, I get a lot of red pimples all over my face and it hurts a lot...

Any solution?

2. Luqman

Luqman New Member

Also I forgot to mention that, I always wet my skin and place gel foam before using electric shaver.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

First, welcome.
    Second, my guess would be that the electric is the real source of your problem.
    My suggestion would be to lay off the shaving for 2-3 days, then come back and try the DE.
    What razor and blade combo are you using?

Tdmsu and Luqman like this.
  4. Luqman

Luqman New Member

@swarden43 It's been 7 months I used the manual razor and that was Gillete March 2 I guess.
    The electric shaver which I am using currently is Braun Series 7 799cc

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Cartridge razors have been known to cause irritation, as well, which is why so many of us have switched to the DE, or Double Edge Razor.
    Case in point, using carts kept me from getting my neck area as smooth as I would like. I couldn't go against the grain (ATG) without tearing up my neck.
    I switched to DEs 8-9 years ago and can now go ATG and get near baby bottom smooth (BBS) almost every shave, zero irritation.

Go grab a favorite beverage, something to snack on, get comfy and read through these...
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/shave-school-master-sticky.16034/
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/welcome-to-the-shave-den-master-sticky.22210/

Linuxguile, Tdmsu and Luqman like this.
  6. Luqman

Luqman New Member

Linuxguile likes this.
  7. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

Lugman, welcome. You haven't said if you're having similar problems using an electric shaver. If the electric is working well, why are you not content to keep using it? As for why you're breaking out, there could be any number of reasons. Were you having similar problems with the Mach3, or is the problem limited to single blades?

I second Swarden's advice to read the basic tutorials. There's a lot of information there, and you might discover answers to questions you didn't even know you had.

Luqman likes this.
  8. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

There are double edge razors in all kind of level of aggressiveness. If you want a mild start for shaving with DE, you could consider getting a Parker 24C. For blades, buy a few of Voskhod, Astra SP, Gillette Silver Blue and Feather blades, for the very first selection. Once you have honed on your skills you could get a full sample pack.

There will be a certain learning curve. You will need to learn to not put any pressure on the razor. Also, to keep the angle right during the whole shave. Those two things are important for not getting irritation.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    Luqman likes this.
  9. Luqman

Luqman New Member

@Jerry-built Hustler Thanks for the welcome Jerry.
    Yeah It working great for me. But you know I don't get the desired closeness with the electric shaver. No electric shaver is present in the market which can compete the closeness of a manual razor.

@Engblom Thanks for your suggestion man. I am here to learn and I surely will.

10. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

I've had success using a good cartridge razor (Sensor, Mach3, etc.) for one pass, followed up with a wet-dry electric Panasonic Arc shaver, which I use wet, with shaving cream. The cartridge gets rid of the long stubble, allowing the electric to finish off the close stubble in no time.

dennisb likes this.
  11. Sir.$-Mad

Sir.$-Mad Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den! :)

Electric shavers are good tools, i used a lot of them. But most of them cause rashes and such. Yes, they do cause some red bumps from time to time. I'd say if you're wanting to down the DE or straight shave route, start with a shaving cream or soap that's designed for sensitive skin. My personal preference would be the Taylor of Old Bond Street Jermyn Street collection. The cream is great for sensitive skin, also the preshave gel is good too. For an aftershave, use one that's alcohol free and has Vitamin E and Aloe. And remember, NO pressure at all, let the weight of the razor do the work. Also don't stretch the skin too much, that's what mostly causes the bumps and ingrown hairs. When I started DE shaving, I had my share of razor bumps, and I had a lot. I also had the habit of stretching my skin a lot when i'm shaving. So I tried NOT stretching the skin at all and continued shaving with my DE razor and no bumps or anything since.

I hope this helps you my friend. :)

spacehobo, Joef and Luqman like this.
  12. Luqman

Luqman New Member

@Sir.$-Mad Hey man! Thanks a lot for such a great advice!!
    Thanks a bunch :)

Sir.$-Mad likes this.
  13. Sir.$-Mad

Sir.$-Mad Well-Known Member

no worries :)

14. Razor_187

Razor_187 Active Member

Luqman, welcome. Someone else already mentioned it but I would lay of from shaving a couple of days so your skin can heal. I would splash some witch hazel every day to help with the healing process. The electric shaver caused a break out on my skin, so I stopes using it myself. I believe you mentioned you have sensitive skin so I would say buy an inexpensive synthetic brush like the razorock synthetic from Italian barber which I believe is currently $9.99. Also a vegan soap which can be commonly found these days, along with pre-shave oil. Same artisan, Italian barber have their soap at $4.99. Finally, I would use a safety razor with a forgiving blade like derby. This combination should help with your irritation. I didn't read whether you wet or dry shave with the electric razor but i have had bad experiences with dry electric shaving. As an afternoon shave I would use an alum block followed by a balm for sensitive skin like Nivea that can be found at a local drug store. It may seem like a lot of preparation but it's like they say preparation is key as the actual shave with the razor is a small portion of the ritual. Good luck, hope this helps. Have a good one.

15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

You are getting some good advice here. I will add that perhaps you should stick to unscented products. Scent is one more possible irritant and your skin is already sensitive. Once you find a shaving routine that works without irritation, you can always try scented products, if you want to.

BTW, pre-shave oil is easy to make. There is a tutorial here, for that. Click the link below;
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/how-to-make-your-own-pre-shave-oil.31132/

16. John Gerald

John Gerald New Member

I had my offer of razor knocks, and I had a considerable measure. I likewise had the propensity for extending my skin a considerable measure when i'm shaving. So I attempted NOT extending the skin at all and kept shaving with my DE razor and no knocks or anything since.