My thoughts on Irisch Moos,Kent/MWF and TSD Iced sub zero shavestick

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Teiste, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Teiste

Teiste New Member

I have been playing enough with these 3 great soaps during the last 3 weeks and now I would like to give my opinion on them.I have enjoyed the shaving experience with them so far (but with the Kent/MWF the first time:mad:) and now I would love to share it with you.

1.Kent/MWF or The quest for good lather.I bought this soap on a sale(only 4 euros) and I was so exited.I tried long ago while I was living in england when a member from my church gave it to me as a present on a nice wooden bowl.Honestly,I didn't used it to much and I left it on a flat when I moved to another city.Anyway,I was trying to redeem myself with this soap and this is why I bought it,specially after reading all the reviews about how good it was and how hard was sometimes to create a good lather from it.My first experience with it was a totally disaster;couldn't create enough lather from it and my GEM was pretty unforgiving that day.I was almost gonna throw it away or give it on a PIF until I saw a pic of how Corey made a shavestick of it and I decided to have another try.Now I understand why I am too sold to shavesticks:D:D:D.I have experienced really good shaves with this soap as a shavestick and I have to say that it could be one of my next fav. ones.Its skin properties are supreme and the lather that I could make from it now its totally comparable to the one that I can create from others top soaps.You have to be patience with this soap cuz making lather from it when its a puck is kind of tricky(at least for me it was and I couldn't make it) but when you mill it and put it on a shavestick container the thing changes,its much easy.Also I think that it has one of the nicest soapy scents ever.This soap deserves to be in your shave den,and maybe make it a shavestick;) if you dont have success making lather from it as a puck.

2.Irisch Moos shavestick sample or I knew it was gonna be good.Thanks to Martin(shavingidiotsarvant) I was able to try this shave soap(stick).He was so kind to send me a nice cut puck from one of his IM shavesticks.
    The first thing that I did like was the clean,fresh scent.Its not a soapy scent like the Kent/MWF but its kind of nice,to far away from the Tabac spicy scent.Has really good skin properties as the Kent does( its tallow based without lanolin) and performs like Tabac whe you create this thick,cushiony protective lather from it.What else do I need to say?Nothing more I guess,but if you have the chance to get it do it and you would be reward with great BBS shaves.I would say that its perfect for spring/autum for its scent.

3.The shave Den shavestick Iced subzero or when good things are cheap and performs wonderfully.Thanks to JoAnna I was lucky to received her last shavestick.I chose Iced Subzero cuz of the reviews and commentaries from members here telling me that it was so perfect for summer.They were right,its BRILLIANT for summer!I love the smell of it(so refreshing) and how your skin tingles during the shave,when you are rinsing off the foam with cold water and after the shave.If you combine it with a high menthol AS like Williams or Proraso your face feels freeze and I love that specially now in this hot summer heat that Im suffering so far.The skin properties are also superb.This is a glycerin based soap and really take good care of your skin.The soap contains clay and you feel also how the blade glides over your face.I just hope that JoAnna could find a deal on the shavesticks containers and keep making them.

Attached Files:

2. Special_K

Special_K New Member

Thanks for the write up Teiste.

3. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

I haven't tried that particular TSD soap (although I have the Iced Lime Aftershave, and it is wonderful), but have tried others, and was impressed with them. The IM is a wonderful soap. I prefer the scent of Speick, but in terms of performance, the IM wins, hands down.

the Kent/MWF is also a great soap - a little tricky for some to get a good lather from, but once you have it down, it rewards you for your effort.

All excellent components of a shave den! If you haven't tried it yet, I would also highly recommend the Palmolive shave stick. It has a nice light scent and is a lathering champ!

Oh, and did I mention Speick? That shave stick, along with the IM shave stick, will never leave my rotation (I sure hope there will always be a supply of these two!).

4. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Yes, good soaps. I am waiting for my new order of MWF to come in to put into a stick. IM works great but I have to be careful. My skin does tend to have a reaction to it (as well as Erasmic, Arko, etc...) but, I just have to make sure not to leave it on too long on my upper cheeks.

5. koso

koso New Member

I would be inclined to believe that the reason da Fat works better for you as a stick is because it's helpful to getting a good charge of soap into your lather that way.

It's all about plenty of soap in the mix, imo. Water and agitation can be adjusted to taste, but w/o the soap, the lather will be pitiful.

Nice writeup!

6. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Mike,Palmolive sticks are great as well as the Speick ones.Ill see if I can trade or buy some Speick from other members here.If you havent tried the Wilkinson I do recommend you too.
    I was thinking about how many soaps a good shave Den should or could have and I stopped when I reached 25....I wanna stick to 3 but thats gonna be impossible.There are more than 7 shavesticks that I love and like!!!!:D
    In the other hand I can choose only a couple creams:Musgo/Lavanda(and all the portuguse ones by extension like O Melhor and Veleiro) and Speick.

7. DSB

DSB New Member

Thanks for the great review. I have never tried a shave stick, but your post will push me over the edge and put me back in the SSAD category.

8. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

MWF came in while I was out of town, so I got to put together my woolfat stick last night. Works well and helps avoid the too wet lather issues that MWF is prone to get in this hard water.

9. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Teiste, to me, the 2 best shaving sticks ever made are the Irisch Moos and Tabac. I cannot believe the lather I get from those 2, it's just wonderful. The Palmolive sticks are excellent also, but nothing compares to those 2 others!! Also, I love the La Toja sticks--I just wish I had more of them.

10. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

not too try to take any innovation from anyone...has anyone asked MWF if they would make SS's ?

11. Teiste

Teiste New Member

PeterS (a member here) is trying to convince them to make one.Good for Peter,hes the man!:D

12. PeterS

PeterS Member

Unfortunately chances are small. I asked someone in the know but it is very unlikely. They have a set range of products and that's all they want to offer. Sorry man.:(

Pete