Neck beard growing in different directions. Please help!

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Simone1, Mar 7, 2018.

1. RyX

RyX DoH!

That's some sound advice right there. Just the kind of thing folks in The 30 Day Rule / Focus share when someone needs help.

With decent equipment and the right technique a close comfortable shave (CCS) is achievable. Trying for baby butt smooth invites irritation.

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

2. Simone1

Simone1 Member

So many thoughts on my subject, that I cannot address them all one by one. Thank you for your input.
    I have no idea why my beard decided to grow like that. I was wondering if an electric shaver would help?

9nein9 and Keithmax like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

I could be biased by the pain of the feeling of using an electric. It felt like pulling the hairs out. A wet shave leaves me smooth and comfortable. Photo of wet shaved hair on the left, electric on the right. [​IMG]

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

4. Simone1

Simone1 Member

I did a shave this evening. Took good time to lather up. Also made a "map" as reference so i knew where my hair grows in a crazy direction.. I focused on being very light to touch and only shave WTG. It actually turned out pretty decent. I am happy for this result, and it wasnt with a preshave oil (maybe it can even make it better)

I have a few questions: How do I make my blade last longer? I use derby blades in a merkur razer. I find my blades often become dull.
    How often should I shave, considering my extremely sensitive skin and crazy hair direction growth?

Thanks guys for being so supporting

9nein9, Keithmax and RyX like this.
  5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

As indicated earlier Derby are (with Merkur and Rockwell) about the dullest blades on the market to start with. A sharper blade properly wielded means fewer passes and less irritation. But I'm repeating myself.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

9nein9, RyX and Simone1 like this.
  6. Hoss304

Hoss304 Well-Known Member

I shave every 3 or 4 days. If I try a shave sooner than that I get awful irritation around my neck. I find the Personna blades to be a happy medium for my skin .I get at least 4 shaves from one . As far as the question on a electric razor ... I had a blood clot in my leg last year. Doc put me on blood thinners . I was told to only use electric . Off to Walmart I went. I bought the One blade . I went home and did a wet shave with it. It ate my neck up so bad I took it back. YMMV but there's no electric worth owning in my opinion. Several months ago I didn't broadcast it here but I bought one of the Braun expensive ones . I used it once also. They just aren't for me at all.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    9nein9, RyX, Simone1 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

DE blades are not expensive so don’t worry about making them last, change them out before they become dull. I do 2 shaves then toss, I could get 3 shaves on some blades but I prefer to be sure I have a sharp edge to shave with.

Electrics just pulled my hair out, painful and not a close shave.

9nein9, RyX and Simone1 like this.
  8. Simone1

Simone1 Member

Yea. I am in a fortunate financial situation aswell, so I dont really mind throwing them out every second use.. I also use them for headshaving (im bald) so they get quite a lot of use :)
    How often should I shave?

Keithmax and 9nein9 like this.
  9. Simone1

Simone1 Member

Thanks for your input. I also own the newest Braun electric shaver. I couldnt get it to cut my neck hair which grows in completely different directions in some areas..
    I have a pack of Feather blades, which I have never tried. Maybe I should

10. Simone1

Simone1 Member

Have you tried Feather blades? I have an unused pack of those!

9nein9 likes this.
  11. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

The good news. Your normal.

12. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

"Seeing is believing" or a "picture is worth a thousand words". Thanks

Keithmax, 9nein9 and RyX like this.
  13. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I read a few posts on 2 different forums and what I recall with folks with similar trouble areas is to shave in all directions or buff these circular hair growth areas with a buffing type smooth razor that does not give the irritation. Razorrock just came out with this new line of self lubricating open comb buffing razor that should help if funds are available it seems like positive results from people who have tried it.( I believe open comb mild to medium would help with good pre-shave preparation is what should help.)

14. RyX

RyX DoH!

So many variables to consider that there's no hard fast answer. On blade longevity, I don't count uses. When a blade feels like it's getting dull I toss it. For folks just starting out on DE razors it's suggested to limit uses to 3. The first use of a blade may be a little harsh, while the second use smoother. By the third shave degradation of the edge may have begun. One of the variables that can affect blade life and improve it might include a correct angle of attack. If a DE blade is operated in the style of a straight razor it cuts effectively. This can be achieved by Riding The Cap. This also helps to reduce irritation because the beard reduction is efficient so less passes are used to achieve the goal.

That's a personal decision. Keeping in mind your beard is growing while you shave, how well shaved do you need to be? The descriptors CCS & SAS are good targets. A Close Comfortable Shave or a Socially Acceptable Shave shows the world you are trying. If you can achieve these levels without irritation you have arrived at your destination. With development of technique DFS (Darn Fine Shave) to BBS ( Baby Butt Smooth) is a matter of interpretation. Those that claim the last two may be doing so at the expense of irritation.

I like Feather Hi-Stainless blades. I use them in many razors and get good results. They have a reputation of being sharp. Well yeah, they are razor blades.
    I wouldn't recommend them to a raw newbie. If that was the only blade someone had to learn on I'm sure they'd get by.

There's more to the shave than just the blade. I have worked to get great lathers from soaps that agree with my skin & have the slip and slide for ease of use. I stretch my skin to provide the blade as flat a surface as possible. I ride the cap to maintain the best angle of attack. After all that I can still do damage by applying too much pressure of the razor against my skin.

Keithmax, 9nein9 and jsw41 like this.
  15. Hoss304

Hoss304 Well-Known Member

Nobody might want to hear this but some guys just can't get a good shave with a DE. If your skin is that sensitive maybe a cart and less passes would be a better option . I think you could accomplish it with DE but for some guys it just never works out. I thought I was that guy after trying several blades . Take a bit of advice from all these replies and find your perfect shave . I can personally say the Gillette Vector is a great cart. Two blades two passes , done.

Keithmax and RyX like this.
  16. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Maybe it's just me but the Rockwell gave an excellent shave . Used it in 3 different razors . Same results. It's a trick thing but what works for one guy may not be good for another. As with the neck area I read one comment on how he progressively took the hair down in 3 passes all in different directions. Hope that helps. Don't give up!

RyX and Keithmax like this.
  17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

All blades will adequately cut hair, that's what they are designed to do. Rockwell spec'd the blade as they did because they believe the great majority of their users will find it appropriate. Some folks, however, will benefit from a sharper blade particularly when fewer passes are desired, and Rockwell is not in that category. See Refinedshave for test results.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    RyX, Keithmax and 9nein9 like this.
  18. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

I was just stating my experience with the Rockwell. There is no bible on blade / razor/ soap/ skin type combos. The blade you use may not work for me either or vice versa. I've used other blades that were raved about and binned them after one shave . Some razors like certain blades , and it all comes down to what works for the individual I think. Technique plays an integral part in this too.

RyX and Keithmax like this.
  19. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Excellent advice

RyX likes this.
  20. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I'm not arguing with you about your choice of blade friend.

RyX, 9nein9 and Keithmax like this.