Need a more aggressive razor recommendation

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by spacehobo, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

If you're wanting an aggressive razor, just quit messing around and get a straight. I've been though the red tips the Schicks, Pals and Gillette adjustables. For me and others we, the aggressive guys, end up at the same destination; the ultimate aggressive, adjustable, razor, being the straight:)

2. dapper636

dapper636 Active Member

Almost everyone I know has swapped out the stock R41 handle, too light, too slippery (dangerously so) - great razor

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Douglas Carey and spacehobo like this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Technique Trumps Tools.

AGHisBBS and Nate.H01 like this.
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

And for some the shavette. bully!

Douglas Carey and Spyder like this.
  5. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Even this is a YMMV thing. :)

After long time of using aggressive razors, and even some shaves with shavette and devette, I have found myself slowly getting attracted by super mild razors. Currently, my absolute favorite razors are iKon #102 and iKon X3, both really mild. I still grab sometimes my R41 and other of my aggressive razors. They are not abandoned, but they do not get the same much love anymore.

I have seen several similar posts, how people once more experience gets attracted by the mild razors. They actually offer more challenge as the closeness of the shave completely depends on how well you are able to keep the angle at the sweet spot. At the same time they are extra comfortable. An aggressive razor allows you to be careless with the angle. The shave will anyway be close.

AGHisBBS and Douglas Carey like this.
  6. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

More careless with an aggressive razor? Mmmm..... I beg to differ my friend.:rolleyes005:

Douglas Carey likes this.
  7. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

I did say careless with angle, not careless with pressure. R41, for example, allows a very wide range of angles. :)

8. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I'm here to tell you that getting careless with angle , especially with a straight is a recipe for disaster.

Douglas Carey and Str8on2 like this.
  9. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

+1 Agreed. A DE or SE may not carve you up like a straight, but they can sure make your face feel like it went through a meat grinder. Plus, to counter @Engblom angle and pressure go hand in hand. Can't separate the 2. It's 50/50 combo. IMHO at least.....:happy088:

Douglas Carey and Spyder like this.
  10. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Fatip

11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Not even close to true. You get careless with angle with a aggressive razor and the close shave will be from the skin being scrapped off. Aggressive razors are great to shave with. But you need solid technique. The angle is most important along with pressure.

spacehobo, Spyder and RetLEO-07 like this.
  12. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

True Dat!!

spacehobo and wchnu like this.