Need a more forgiving razor to heal

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Misphit, Mar 31, 2014.

?

Which one of the three razors below is least likely to cut me up and allow me

1. 68 Gillette Knack

5.6%
  2. 79 Z1 Aluminum Tech

72.2%
  3. 66 Schick Krona

27.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    The bad thing about all the good advice you receive here is that it can be a little overwhelming when you are new. I love reading the tips for noobs because I benefit (I'm only two years into this crazy hobby!). However, one of the biggest beginner challenges for me was keeping track of the many variables of shaving!

First, are you working toward The 30 Day Rule? It's all over TSD, but it is here and I think that is a pretty good thread.

Personally, I had an epiphany when I started thinking about the angle of the blade to my skin. I don't mean the angle at which I hold the razor! I tried visualizing the angle of the blade at any given moment. I suggest trying this sort of "deep thought" analysis before picking up a razor.

Just keep at it. The parts will start falling into place. You will soon re-visit certain elements and see them in a whole new light. THEN you will start having BBS shaves and no burn. :happy108:

PatrickA51 and Misphit like this.
  2. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I do not know how much weight my opinion has. The only time I got a good shave with an Astra that I can recall was when I had a weeks growth of facial hair. I have settled on Personna Reds. Unfortunately for me you seem to either get Smooth or Sharp, but hardly both. And Reds seems to be a very popular blade.

Bristle Me likes this.
  3. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

Yes, they are popular, but are they smooth or sharp?

4. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I voted for the Knack. I use it almost everyday. I prefer my Weber, because of the weight of it. It's almost the exact same length as my Knack. I really do not like the shorter length handles. I am also very partial to my Knack because I have had it for over 46 years. It looks a little worn but it's great for using in the shower. I also recommend the Astra SP DE Blades. or any Raley's SuperMarkets or CVS Pharmacy Generic SS/DE Blades. I use them and almost all the time I get a great shave with them.

maltedmilk likes this.
  5. maltedmilk

Article Team
    Dude! That is SO COOL!

6. maltedmilk

Article Team
    At least as much as anyone else's!

Shoot... you could write an essay on The Wonders of Williams and invite swarden to debate you over it. You'll get some counter arguments, possibly a couple of supporters, and your opinion will weigh at least as much a Steve's. ... Just don't expect to convert him! ;) (Steve... I've said it before... I love you, man!)

Actually... I am rather happy you bashed Astras. They are my go to, but I've never tried Personnas. So guess what... now I've got to try them. Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
    Bristle Me, swarden43 and BigMark like this.
  7. BigMark

I would say both. It is the only blade I can use on my trouble spots without fear of donating blood and gives me zero Razor Burn. Do not ask about ATG as no matter what blade I use I cannot go ATG, at least on my neck. Also the only blade that doesn't leave Tea Stains on my razor. Btw a tea stain is similar to rust in that it is the same color, but can be removed with some SB, At least that is my perception. Just in case you didn't know.

Well I guess I could but I loathe Williams.

maltedmilk likes this.
  8. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

That is why shaving is very much YMMV. I find that Williams is great. I just found a pick of vintage Williams and I can't wait to use it.

9. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about this for a newbie... menthol will numb the skin but it doesn't mean the damage isn't really there. Feeling the razor burn is good for a newbie because it lets them know they're doing something wrong.

BigMark and maltedmilk like this.
  10. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

I picked up some Bigelow last week and have to agree. While it wasn't unpleasant, I do want to develop my skills with my current cream before mixing in the othern six I have aquired.

11. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Of course it's YMMV,

Thayers WH w_cucumber.jpg

but this is hands down the best stuff I've found for soothing razor burn.

Used improperly, any razor or blade can cause razor burn.

It may help to:

Wash your face before shaving. If you use a washcloth, be gentle. DON'T scrub.
    Consider ditching the washcloth altogether and using your shave brush and shave soap instead.
    Overly hot water immediately sensitizes skin. You may like the ways it feels, but it can promote razor burn.:ashamed001:
    Warm water is better than hot. :happy069:
    Cool water is best. :signs021:

Make good, thick lather for your shave. :shaver
    Soak your brush for 2-3 minutes prior to loading with soap/crème.
    Don't add too much water, keep the lather thick.

Slow down your shave! Focus on how the razor feels against your skin.
    As others have said, no pressure, no pressure.
    Rinse with cool water between passes.

I hope some part of this will help you.
    Best of luck to you and let us know how it's going! :bounce017:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  12. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Insightful and well put sir!

13. BigMark

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014