Need a soap that will work with my very sensitive skin

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by stuuuart, Mar 27, 2017.

1. stuuuart

stuuuart New Member

Hello. I'm 18 years old and I've been shaving for a few months. As of right now I use a double edge safety razor, a boar hair brush, and Aveeno's skin relief shave gel. The reason I use this gel is because I have very sensitive skin that dries out very easy. At first I used Art of Shaving cream but it dried my skin out and left me with this stinging irritation. So I bought the Aveeno gel for a more comfortable shave. However, I can't get a good lather with it or a great shave. I was also getting irritation from face lathering with the boar brush. So I started palm lathering and applying the cream to my face. On top of that I have a minor case of acne.

I'm looking for a shave soap, cream, gel, etc. that will work in my situation. I'm sure I'll need to test a few products to find one that works, but I really need a place to start. Any recommendations for shaving products you can give me are appreciated. Feel free to give me any tips on shaving you may have. Maybe there is a better style of shaving that could suit me better?

RyX, crackstar and Zykris like this.
  2. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

It sounds like you've got even more sensitive skin than I do! I would seriously think about getting a sample size of Stirling's unscented, which I think is called Naked and Smooth. The lanolin really helped my skin and it'll have no fragrances in it. What's your DE, how many passes do you do, what type of passes and how much pressure?

RyX and crackstar like this.
  3. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

I also suffer from extremely sensitive skin. Essential or Fragrance oils might be the cause of your irritation as well. I know it was for me.

I would recommend:
    Stirling "Naked and Smooth"
    Barrister and Mann Latha Unscented
    Catie's Bubbles "Le Nude"

These are fantastic soaps with no preservatives or any unnatural additive that might give you a reaction. They lather like a champ and will provide the slickest, most comfortable, irritation free shave you could have. :)

4. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

We were on the same page. LOL! Awesome.

5. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

In addition I would also recommend Soap Commander Integrity. Also you may want to think about getting a Plisson style synthetic brush. You can get one from Italian Barber, Maggard, and Stirling for about $10, they are fool proof lather makers and are so soft that using them wont irritate your face.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

First, welcome!

Please don't take offense, I'm not saying you don't have sensitive skin, many here do, but...

It may be irritation caused by:
    Poor face prep - to include exfoliating before the shave itself
    Poor lather
    Lather(soap or cream) that isn't for you
    Brush that isn't for you - scrubbing too hard with the brush
    Poor technique - wrong angle of attack, too much pressure
    Blade that isn't for you - gotta get a sample pack
    Razor that isn't for you - may be too aggressive
    Aftershave that isn't for you
    Poor post shave routine

I've heard stories from members who thought they had sensitive skin, but after some trial and error with products and refining their shaving technique, they realized they don't.

Again, I'm no doctor. I don't have your skin so I can't experience what you're experiencing. I'm just offering up some things for thought.

Go grab a favorite beverage, something to munch on, come back, get comfy click on ---> http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/shave-school-master-sticky.16034/

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Lanolin is an irritant to some also.
    Thanks, you saved me some keystrokes...

8. stuuuart

stuuuart New Member

Thank you for the reply! I use a Merkur heavy duty double edge razor with persona double edge razer blades(the box says "Comfort Coated" on it). I really don't know much about it. My whole shaving kit was a gift from my older brother. He told me to do 3 passes. One down with the grain, one across horizontally, then one up against the grain. I will definitely check out this "Naked and Smooth." A few people have recommended it now.

9. stuuuart

stuuuart New Member

Thank you for the reply! I will check this link out and reevaluate my routine

10. stuuuart

stuuuart New Member

Thank you I will be sure to check all of these out! You guys are awesome :p

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

There are quite a few folks here who cannot go against the grain because it causes irritation.
    There are quite a few folks here who cannot shave every day because it causes irritation.

Hang in there! Try different things. Keep asking questions. We all are pullin' for you to get the best shaves possible!

RyX and Legend In My Spare Time like this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

proraso white may work for you also.

RyX and Legend In My Spare Time like this.
  13. jstolp

jstolp Active Member

I am by no means a pro, but I tend to have sensitive skin and acne breakouts as well. My advice would be to take a few days off from shaving, or more to give your skin a chance to "calm down". Then take advice given by others and try non-irritating soap (Stirling Naked and Smooth) once you start shaving again and perhaps a softer brush. I would try only shaving with the grain and see how that goes. Going against the grain can cause in grown hairs, which resembles acne, but not quite the same.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

RyX likes this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

:signs011:
    Good advice, guys. Now it's @ stuuuart 's turn to begin his Shave Journey. Treat this like a Science Experiment. If you change everything all at once it's hard to tell what helps or hurts the results. So learn which passes are acceptable for your skin. Generally downward means with the grain (WTG), until you get to your neck. Most every guy has issues below his chin because the hairs can grow every which way. Face Mapping is the term used to describe direction of hair growth. Your WTG may be North to South on cheeks, but ear to Addams apple on your neck. Across the grain (XTG) is also a helpful beard reduction technique. Cheeks could be ear to nose, neck is up to you to decide. Against the grain (ATG) is where many shavers have issues. It's also that pass where you go from a Close Comfortable Shave (CCS) into Darn Fine Shave (DFS), maybe all the way to a Baby Butt Smooth (BBS) finish. These are incremental steps. For now learn that new gear, and there's no shame in using your previous cartridge razor for Clean Up duty.

15. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

For sensitive skin I highly recommended something that doesn't have any essential and fragrance oil in the shaving soaps which are:-

Arko Shaving Stick (very very light lemon scent) this won't give you skin irritation
    Barrister and Mann Latha Unscented
    Haslinger Schafmilch Sheep Milk & Lanolin (very similar to MWF)
    Mike's Natural Unscented
    Mitchell's Wool Fat
    Nivea Sensitive Shaving Cream
    Stirling Naked & Smooth
    Williams Mug Shaving Soap

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I mix up my own oils which I use either as pre shave with soap or on their own. Only does good things for the skin and adequate in protection that I can shave my head with an Ikon Tek with oil only with no dramas. Might work for you.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

17. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

There is a lot of good information here.

I had a similar experience, and I had to isolate Everything to find what my allergy was. I changed soaps, face wash, used distilled water, changed Aftershaves, different pre shave oils, etc.

I recommend you do something similar. Start slow with changing your blade. Easy. Move on if you have to.

As far as soaps go (which I'm not sure if it is the problem), but Stirling, barrister and mann, and Taylor of old bond Street Jermyn Street are fantastic. They are all excellent soaps and all have formulations for very sensitive skin.

18. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Put the AoS lather in the fold of your elbow and let it dry one evening. If you are irritated by it after 3-4 hours, that is your culprit. If not, it isn't the soap. Be sure you're not blaming shave technique for a skin sensitivity.

19. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

RyX, swarden43 and brit like this.
  20. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

Don't leave out the other interesting part to that story! :p - What were you allergic to?

RyX likes this.