Need Help... Return to Shaving Not Going Well Spent almost $500

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NETWizz, Sep 19, 2016.

1. NETWizz

NETWizz Active Member

Good Evening...

Well, I am back to wet shaving again after having left it for a long time. Now 33 years old and suddenly shaving has become a problem with sensitivity.

Historically, growing up I electric shaved for years. My parents bought me a Norelco around the time I was 14 or 15, and at first I would shave maybe once a week, then twice, every other day, and at one point daily.

Then I got a semi-professional job, and that device started pissing me off because I had to make like 30 passes over each spot. Being like 20 years old at that time, my skin was tough as nails, so it did not bother me in the slightest except that it took forever.

Then out of nowhere, I got the idea around my 21st birthday to open my Mach 3 that I received years ago for my 18th birthday (thanks Gillette), and shave. Let me just say I had the closest shave EVER, and the electric went to my glove box for emergency touch-up.

Fast forward... back in the day around when I was 21, it was either a Schick Quattro or Gillete Mach 3 Turbo. My absolute favorite was the Schick Quattro. That thing was MUCH better than the Mach 3 for me.

Fast forward... I moved for a truly professional job in 2008 and tried the Quattro Titanium, which was NOT as good for me (more irritation). Then I got the Gillette Fusion, which was the closest shave I have ever had, but it felt like I was pealing a layer of skin off and I would average one tiny nick like every other shave. NOT terribly impressed.

Fast forward...

Got a coupon for a free Schick Hydro 5, so I tried that and also bought the Hydro 3 blades. The Hydro 5 was the first blade that felt as good as the original Quattro where the Hydro 3 felt like a Mach 3 ish. Either way, what I did not like is that the Hydro 5 blade was bulkier making it hard to shave my nose area.

Got a Costco membership around two years ago and picked up the newer Pro Glide Fusion with like 24 cartridges. Figured I would give Gillette a try again. Same result... the worst shave of my life is from any form of Gillette Fusion. While being close there is TONS of irritation.

Then I grew a beard that I trimmed and basically did not shave for a year.

Now it itches if I don't shave for a couple days :angry019:

Hence I would just shave with the Gillette being I have like 4 cartridges left, but each time it would mess me up and just before I start itching my face heals from the last shave. I stopped shaving against the grain, which I always used to do without any problem years ago.

I tried going back to electric figuring it might be better. Bought a Norelco 9300 Perfection (over $200) and also a Braun 9 Series (also over $200). Neither shave as close as I want unless I make sure it is A) very clean, B) Fully Charged, C) Sprayed with shaver lubricant D) I make a LOT of passes and E) use shave cream whereby it makes a caked on soap scummy mess .

Not working reasonably well for me, I tried buying Aveno Shave Gel, Regular Barbasol Red foam, and the Gillettte gel goop. I tried Nivea post-shave gel etc.

I want to shave daily like I used to be able to years ago no problem but lately I get some very minor bumps, redness, and irritation along the jaw line. I was using the Gillette Fusion; since, I have like 3 or 4 cartridges.

Should I try buying some Origional Quatto blades? I did join the Dollar Shave Club and ordered the Executive (wont get it for a few days). I figured maybe I need like 6 blades.

All I can say is I need help. Never had problems before, but I want to look my best. Want to be able to quickly shave smooth, with no blood, and don't want irritation lasting longer than a couple hours. I need help, please!

Keithmax, jimjo1031 and Jorvaljr like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Go to Walgreens. Get a Van Der Hagen razor and some Gillette blades. You can used canned cream while learning, and I recommend doing so. My experience is nearly identical to yours. Don't get all caught up in gear. Trust. Go get this razor, and we'll get this straightened out. Carts are not a good option for you. You'll be smooth and irritation free within a month. It's all in the techniques.

And welcome to TSD.

brit, wristwatchb, Demidog and 15 others like this.
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Good advice from Bama Samurai and welcome to the Den.

Demidog, Robyflexx, NETWizz and 3 others like this.
  4. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Well you have come to the right place.

5. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

You need a serious wake up call.

You should listen to @Bama Samurai and just go to target, walmart, or Walgreen's and get a van der hagen razor, barbasol or cremo shave cream, and some Gillette blades.

If you want to, pick up a pre-shave oil called "shave secret" and an aftershave like aqua velva ice blue, brut, old spice, or pinaud clubman.

The razor, blades, shave cream, and aftershave should cost about $30-$35. This would be a GREAT start for you.

Robyflexx, simms623, Slow Joe and 3 others like this.
  6. Jorvaljr

@NETWizz if you want to get into this type of shaving pm me. We can work out something. I have a couple of razors that are mild razors one of them could be a good solution. I have a few types of blades as well. Hopefully we can minimize your investment into this type of shaving incase you don't like it.

simms623, Slow Joe, NETWizz and 6 others like this.
  7. jimjo1031

That'll also work.

Robyflexx likes this.
  8. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Hello and welcome, great advice already.

Robyflexx and NETWizz like this.
  9. NETWizz

NETWizz Active Member

Going to get it at Wallgreens. Which Gillette Blades do I buy?

Robyflexx likes this.
  10. Jorvaljr

At most stores there are only a couple of options. There are the store brand or you can order some through Amazon , eBay and a whole of lot of other online options.

NETWizz likes this.
  11. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

Try the Gillette Guard, only sold in emerging markets, and available to us via Ebay. These are single blade carts that shave well with almost any variable. I had quit all carts because they would fill with whiskers, it does not happen with the Guard. I love my DEs, but when I am in a rush I go for the Guard. They last, so the total price is very low.

12. NETWizz

NETWizz Active Member

Why would I want a Gillettte Guard? I was reading about it, and they seem like they are essentially the third-world Gillete Fusion.

Talks about the target market being those how spend 33 cents per razor, yet it is not disposable! At roughly 10 cents per cartridge, which for 5 shaves works out to just 2 cents per shave...

This claims to be for markets with no running water, who don't shave everyday, etc.

I just don't see why I would want to invest what is probsbly no better than those cheap, disposable BIC razors.

13. Jorvaljr

It was just a suggestion.

NETWizz and jimjo1031 like this.
  14. Bama Samurai

So. Whatcha gonna do? Did you grab a VDH and some blades?

15. NETWizz

NETWizz Active Member

Yeah, that's a good question.

I am not certain what to do exactly... I AM going to buy the VDH, but I haven't bought it yet.

I ordered these two things though:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0071B7XCO/ref=tsm_1_fb_lk?th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Escali-100-Badger-Shaving-Brush/dp/B003WR3QSG/ref=pd_sim_194_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0C6Q0F16TQMAZ9CZZFD7

I have NEVER owned a brush or any shave soaps. Figure regardless of technology (even the current cartridges) better lather will improve things to an extent.

16. Bama Samurai

Feel free to make some practice lathers, it takes a little practice. The irritation you describe in your first post will likely not be remedied with soap, though you might see some marginal comfort improvements.

Robyflexx and NETWizz like this.
  17. jimjo1031

Just a thought, but maybe you could start out with a shave cream like Proraso. It's easier and faster to lather til you get the hang of it with soaps.

PickledNorthern and NETWizz like this.
  18. Bama Samurai

"Help... I've already spent $500"

The solutions lie in technique.

Primotenore, NETWizz and jimjo1031 like this.
  19. jimjo1031

so what's a few more dollars. but I agree, it's technique.

NETWizz likes this.
  20. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

As I said, I won't touch any cart with a ten foot pool, except the Guard. Most articles on the Guard are guessing the idea is to kill DEs in emerging markets, with a cart that really works. I am glad you can tell it won't work for you, without trying it. Sorry I offended you.