Need Help... Return to Shaving Not Going Well Spent almost $500

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NETWizz, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

That's not too bad a bloody mess, it is impossible to really get hurt with a safety razor. We call those weepers and we all had them while learning,

Too much pressure and too high of a blade angle. Cartridge shaving has taught you techniques that need to be unlearned. When using the VDH (no, you don't need another razor, don't listen to them), keep the door (top of razor) in contact with your skin, not the safety guard. Light pressure, take your time. The blades you have adjust fine. Do two passes, one N-S and one E-W until you can do it without blood or irritation. Don't change gear, every time you do, you will literally be starting over.

Hang in there, there is a learning curve, but you'll get there by 30 October, guaranteed. This is the group you need to be talking to:

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/october-2016-30-day-rule-focus-pix-discussion.52963/

Just say hi, and post any questions you may have. Those guys will help you get good fast.

2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

You used too much preasure, it is a razor blade. It'll cut you, all of them are sharp enough to separate you from any piece of skin you push it through.
    That said, gently ride the cap.
    Put razor to face, cap first.
    Rotate the handle til the blade lightly comes in contact with face. Gently stroke the razor, listening to the stubble be cut. (No water running, no fan if possible, no music until you get better). Start with two passes, down and then up. This sill give you a passable shave. START HERE.
    get better later.

Put some witch hazel on your face, let it heal at least two days. Remember no preasure, razors will cut you.

3. david of central florida

Sorry, he gave great advice, listen to him (hes been helping along the way)

NETWizz likes this.
  4. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

:signs011:
    Pressure and angle. Take short passes, and be very mindful of the angle. You have to follow the contour of your face, and the short strokes help with that. Stick with it, it does get better!

NETWizz, wristwatchb and Bama Samurai like this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup.
    Yup.
    Yup.

Yo. :D

NETWizz, wristwatchb and Bama Samurai like this.
  6. NETWizz

NETWizz Active Member

Thanks. Yeah, the mess isn't quite as bad as the first time I shaved with a BIC disposable. Now that was worse than this. I didn't know to keep the metal door part in contact with my skin - oops. I also probably applied too much pressure because it kept grabbing and skipping. It is kind of weird because I am holding it at a different angle then than I do the cartridge system??? I actually felt pain at some points as the blade felt like it was going to slice me open like a fish. It actually, REALLY hurt a few times feeling like I was removing skin.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  7. Bama Samurai

Yes. The angles are very different. You'll get it!

Bad angles caused the skipping.

8. david of central florida

Imagine removing just the soap with just the edge of the blade. The goal is to have the blade glide accross the surface removing anything sticking up.
    By riding the cap, you keeping the proper angle. Now just work on gentleness, not gouging your face.
    BUT you should let that heal first, if not youll cut the scabs off and bleed more.

9. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

:yodaYou must UNLEARN! that which you have LEARNED!!!!...training....you MUST complete your TRAINING!!..

Stay at it, you wont be dissapointed.

10. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Skipping is bad. Keep from doing it. Lather well. Wash the blade off frequently. Take short strokes. Ride the cap.

These guys have given good advice.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  11. Bama Samurai

David says it very well, and it's because he often uses straights these days. Just wipe the lather off your face gently using the blade. Perfect amount of pressure. All DE blades are very sharp, we mostly just let them glide and do the work.

champagneinhand and NETWizz like this.
  12. Bama Samurai

Lather well is a must. I always forget that one.

champagneinhand likes this.
  13. NETWizz

NETWizz Active Member

Status update... My face was close to healing with only some mild redness and no discernible scabs last night, so I went to try it again.

This time I put down hot water first to open my pores and a tiny bit of Cremo... then My Gillette shave goo lather. It was clearly more slick. That said, the DE felt awful, but I did not skip this time, felt better lubrication, and had only three smaller weepers. I tried a different angle and it didn't help much. Regardless, the best I describe it is the thin blade felt very aggressive best described as HOT almost like it was a tiny thin line that was 150 F, but that would come and go. Either way I would rate that shave quality maybe a 3 out of 10. I know I was told to wait, but I wanted to try again and deal with only one day of growth.

Afterwords, I needed to wash off the Cremo especially, which required soap. I used Dial anti-bacterial handsop on a wash cloth. Then I followed up with 91% iso alcohol to disinfect everything because I felt like my face needed to be disinfected. Then I felt it might be too dry, so I used some witch hazel, and finally some Nivea aftershave lotion.

I love being able to take apart the razor and clean it. Makes getting the goo out easy. Anyway, I wanted to master the angle, so using the thin, flexible blade (not much thicker than thick aluminum foil) I tried trimming my sideburns. Amazingly, effortlessly and without any blood I mastered trimming my sideburns with a DE razor blade that I carefully held with masking tape. I found the angle that works best is nearly parallel.

Fast forward to this morning. I had my 5 O'Clock shadow already namely because last night's have stunk. I decided to try again. This time just the Gillette lather. I kept the angle very much on the door NOT the edge to try and keep the blade parallel to my skin. No skipping this time, and the blade did NOT feel hot or like it was going to hurt me. Instead, it just effortlessly removed hair. I did get two tiny little weepers and my face is a bit red, but overall, I give it a 6 out of 10, which is the same quality as a Gillette Fusion ProGlide shave. DO keep in mind I hate the Fusion and have nothing good to say about it because it feels like I am peeling an onion, leaves me red, and often a few nicks.

That said, it is still amazing I could get that level of quality with a 10 cent single blade.

After this shave, I tried my new Steptic pencil (something I have never before bought), and it instantly sealed the two tiny nicks like magic. Never seen anything work that well or fast before. I then followed with Witch Hazel instead of alcohol to disinfect. Finally, Nivea aftershave lotion.

I DID shave both directions even against the grain. This is the first smooth shave I have had from a DE. In fact this is the first time I feel like I got a proper shave in since I started with the DE. I would say the shave quality is finally satisfactory with the damage being unsatisfactory but not unacceptable. Hence, it is worth continuing.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  14. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

You just learned how to ride the cap! That is a huge step in the direction of great DE shaves. I strongly encourage you to jump on the 30 day thread, as lots of people will jump in to help. Here are my suggestions:
    • Ride the cap
    • Turn off the water, fan, and music, to hear the blade cut. Try to keep the angle by sound.
    • Use just enough pressure to wipe the lather off. You don't want to dig the blade into your skin.
    • Get an Alum bar. If you use it after a rinse, it will give you a stinging sensation where you didn't have the angle or pressure correct.
    Keep at it. I am happy to hear this clicked for you!

NETWizz likes this.
  15. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

^ Yes, this.

You need a 30 day focus, and you will become a pro. You may need to let your face relax for a couple of days first, however.

NETWizz likes this.
  16. Bama Samurai

Very good progress!

You don't need prep.

Seriously.

Stop all the scrubbing and disinfecting.
    You're making things worse. Exfoliation is causing your irritation, there's no need to scrub, the razor does that for you.

Switch to cool water. Hot water increases inflammation on a cellular level and makes things worse.

Trust me.

Before shaving....simply wash your face gently with a wet cloth. No soap. No scrubbing.

Let the water sit on your face for a minute before you lather.

Shave.

Rinse.

Witch hazel.

After shave.

You don't need to disinfect anything, again you will just make things worse. It takes a little time.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  17. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Active Member

Sounds like you got some good advice here. I had been using a DE for a couple of years and still using can creams. Then I meet a work friend of my wifes, and its all over from there. I started with Van Der Hagen soap, bowl and brush set (12 bucks at wal greens), I enjoyed the routine of shaving enough that in the few months that I have been truely wet shaving that I have about 12 different soaps, mostly Phoenix Artisan Acutriments, a couple of stubble Trubble, Razorock, and a couple of others, I have three brushes and 4 working razors and 1 need i need to send off to get reworked. These guys will give you great advise, listen to the experience here.

NETWizz likes this.
  18. NETWizz

NETWizz Active Member

Good News... Shaved again (it's been just over 24 hours) and this time there was no pain, no feeling like the blade was hot, and no cuts or nicks.

Simply put, I had a bloodless shave. Also, I have no more irritation than I typically do with a 4-blade cartridge. Honestly, I would say this shave was equal to the quality I get with a good cartridge like a 4-Blade and that I achieved a very smooth shave, too. Even using the witch hazel and cotton, it did not stick at all... the cotton glided across my face like it would a baby's bottom!

There is some sensitivity, etc., but I think I have picked up DE shaving to be at least proficient to the point I feel great after a DE shave for the first time. I have actually had better cartridge shaves with very high quality cartridge systems, but I would rate this shave around 8/10 where 10 is the best I have ever achieved in the past as my personal best. I do still think there is room to improve, too, which is nice.

Now I am ready for the 30 day focus.

19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Congrats. You 'll be amazed how much better and more consistent you will become with by completing a focus or two.

Crowne & Crane likes this.
  20. Crowne & Crane

Crowne & Crane Well-Known Member

Sounds like you're off and running. Keep it up and before long muscle memory will take over and you won't even have to think about it. Meanwhile, remember that when people say light pressure on the razor they mean VERY light pressure on the razor. If your applying enough pressure that the razor is pressing your skin inward, it's too much pressure. You want the edge of the blade to just glide smoothly over the surface, like a hockey puck on ice, while remaining absolutely perpendicular to the direction of travel.