Need Soap Help

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Kurt, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Kurt

Kurt Member

I want to place an order for soap and wanted some opinions

T&H
    Tabac
    Speik
    Trumpers
    Valabro
    MWF
    DR Harris

Can you guys rank or add which ones I should look at:

I am going to purchase 4 soaps:

Thanks

Kurt

2. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    I hate to say, but the ranking you would get would vary fairly widely by user. You consider samples (a few available here)? Also, keep in mind that the MWF is exactly the same as kent soap. Might help you find a better deal if you go that route (although the MWF bowl itself is really nice)

Are their particular properties you're looking for in a soap?

3. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Of those. I keep T&H, GFT, and MWF in my rotation. Didnt like tabac or speik and havent had DR or valobra. You may as well just make your way down the list, because you're going to wind up buying them all anyway, eventually.

4. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

I own Tabac (which is ok, nothing special), plus MWF and Harris Arlington. In my opinion, those two are already in the right position on your list. Add as many as you want, but leave those two at the bottom.

Of course, no one can really tell you what you will like. People told me I would like those three. They were wrong.

That said...TSD stuff is good, Floris is too (at MANY times the price). I like the Trumpers, though am not thrilled with the sandalwood scent of the only cake I have. For me, it's mostly a scent thing. They all work. Some just smell better, others don't smell at all (MWF/Harris).

Jay's right though...you'll get them all anyway. :whacky011

5. jnich67

jnich67 Member

I love my Tabac soap. I think you have to like the scent though. I've never tried T&H soaps, but I really like their creams. I didn't care for the Speick soap, but again, their cream is outstanding.

IMHO, Trumper, DRH, MWF, Volabra, Floris, Penhaligon's, AOS and Tabac are all top notch soaps. I use them all and think any difference in their performance is marginal. It'll come down to your preference.

Jordan

6. Padron

Padron Active Member

Hi Kurt,

Out of those listed...here's my .02 cents..

T&H - Nice lather kind of drying for me
    Tabac - Love it, great lather and scent
    Speik - Need to re-visit this one, from what I remember it was Ok and I like the spicy scent
    Trumpers - Good lather, but very drying for me....lather would always dry out on me....sold it.
    Valabro - Haven't tried the shave sticks yet, I have the menthol soft soap, it's nice...not great though.
    MWF - Nice soap, worked a lot better for me after I started soaking the puck....good lather, I like the soapy scent.
    DR Harris - Haven't tried it yet.

Good thing is, if you don't like some of the ones you buy you can always list it in the classifieds :)

7. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

T&H
    #1 Tabac
    #3 Speik
    #4 Trumpers
    #2 Valobra (get the soft soap but the stick is good, too)
    MWF
    DR Harris

8. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

P160, Joanna's Mojito, and Proraso.

9. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    You get an D- for not following directions. :p

You would have got an F, but my soap is on your list.;)

10. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Directions?

11. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Oh....sometimes I forget y'all are men. :rolleyes:

ok, never mind, long day. He did say "Can you guys rank or add which ones I should look at:". So, now you get a B+, Single Wedge. It would have been an A+, but I had to mark you down for the "kissing up". :rofl

12. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Men never ask for directions because we always intend to end up in the place we are, where ever that is.

13. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Tabac is tops. Rich, thick lather every time w/ a great scent. At $14 in the jar it's one of the better buys out there. Me loves this stuff.

14. whiskerlips

whiskerlips Member

You really will just have to find out for yourself.
    I hated Tabac, I thought it was drying and the amount of scent used made my face itch.
    I didn't like MWF at first but now that I learned to just face lather with a well shaken brush, I get fantastic shaves. I love the subtle soapy scent. When I try new products or go back to other soaps or creams in my rotation I always think "probably would have been better if I had used the woolfat." If I had to pick just one, it would be MWF.
    As already stated you can get Kent, it's just rebranded MWF, but that MWF ceramic bowl is worth every penny to me.

15. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

T&H - Top notch stuff, great soap IMO. Pleasant light scent, perfect lather.
    Tabac - Great shave, strong scent.. kind of got old with me.
    Speik - Never tried it, sorry.
    Trumpers - Good good, solid performer, others are better in the price range.
    Valabro - Impressed me, good stuff.
    MWF - Not for me. Never could get the best shave out of it, but many love it.
    DR Harris - One of my favorite. The lavender soap is awesome.

16. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Is Valabro anything like the Valobra I sampled you?

17. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

Hmm... perhaps I can't read and haven't actually tried Volobro :ashamed001

18. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

MWF
    Tabac
    Valobra Stick

19. jfever311

jfever311 Active Member

The only ones on the list I have are MWF, DR Harris, and Spiek. Out of the three, I get the best shaves with the MWF.

Tabac seems to be a very popular soap. I have not had a chance to try it though. Anyone have an extra puck they want to sell or trade?

20. Kurt

Kurt Member

Oh Boy

Thanks for all the responses! I had DR Harris Arlington and Trumpers Lime Soap and for some reason that did not agree with me.

I am selling both the DR Harris shave stick and Lime shave soap with bowl for $40 plus shipping used once.

If any one is interested please let me know.

Kurt