Need some opinions tonight

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by txskimo, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I like to cook pork butt to an internal temp of 190°F for pulled pork. Some people like to go even higher, up to 205°F. This breaks down the fat and collagen. You won't reach these internal temps in the oven at 200-210°F.

If you are going to slice it, I think a lower internal temp is recommended so it will stay together when you cut it.

2. Fred Hill

Fred Hill Well-Known Member

Buy a bottle of Liquid Smoke & add a couple Table Spoons in your pan!

macaronus and GDCarrington like this.
  3. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

I was going to but I didn't have any in the cabinet and really didn't want to go to the store just for that. Maybe I'll have the wife pick some up when she goes to the store today

GDCarrington likes this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Just go easy on the stuff. A little liquid smoke goes a long way. Your meat can go from slightly smokey to bitter & acrid tasting quite quickly with overuse. I'm not a fan of the stuff in general. ;)

Omaney, GDCarrington and txskimo like this.
  5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I am with Kevin. I would rather put a few wet wood chips in the pan. Liquid smoke has ruined many a meal

6. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Use this in your dry rub. Adds a great smoke flavor without being bitter or overpowering.
    image.jpg

GDCarrington and txskimo like this.
  7. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

I let it ride at 225 for 13 hours and as expected it stalled at 173 around noon. I went ahead and bumped it up to 250 and it's slowly climbing and wrapped it in foil since I'd like it to rest for about 45 minutes before pulling.