Need some 'Slant' 101...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Adonis, May 13, 2014.

1. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

What is the advantage/disadvantage of using a 'slant'. I've read various posts online and searched some on here but haven't heard a clear cut answer. So far I, as I understand, I know they are aggressive. But beyond that?

gorgo2 likes this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have a Merkur 37c. My first shave was done very slowly, but that was unnecessary. I have been wet shaving for years and my technique was there, so the Merkur was not a problem. The theory is that with a slant, the blade cuts at an angle to the whisker like a guillotine. Folks with thick beards like them. The Merkur 37c is the most affordable slant I believe. It looks pretty cool too.

3. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification :happy088:

4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

They aren't really that aggressive. I'd call it middle of the road for a safety razor. Use it like any other razor and you will be fine.

I had a 37c for a while and I thought was like the 34c but a little more efficient.

RaZorBurn123 and Adonis like this.
  5. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

iv had mine for about 10 days. I'm really just getting used to it, iv used it every day since. so while I have some experience with a slant I am not by any stretch an expert. I went from a tech to a 34c to a slim to a fatboy to an open new long to a new standard oc short finally to a 39c sledgehammer. I have used persona labs in them all. I think the ocs and slant are the biters of the bunch. I can feel the edge of the razor more with these than the others. I have come to think that I get better shaves, not by changing razors, but by being more attentive to whatever the razor is telling me. the key to this was turning off the water or fan, and listening. using short light strokes and listening to the razor. while I am still using the sledgehammer,I am using it lightly. I use the 34c to square my sideburns.
    a side note, the hammer is the biggest razor I have, I like the bigger size, I'm 6'6" you can do the math. good luck

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I tried a few slants and was probably using them wrong because I never noticed any difference whatsoever in efficiency or result. I may be wrong on this also, but the whole angled thing never made sense to me. For the life of me I cannot picture a slanted blade "slicing" through hairs any differently than a standard razor's blade "chops" through them. At the exact point where cutting edge meets whisker, the blade's direction of movement doesn't vary: it goes straight through and does not "slice" along any length of its edge, as you'd saw into a loaf of bread. So I don't see how it's supposed to work.

But again, I may be wrong. And they're still cool looking.

BigMark and Adonis like this.
  7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

think of it like the Gillette slide, but with a straight stroke

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Exactly.
    The slant is the solution for a problem that doesn't exist.
    Not saying it's a bad razor, just saying you can get the same results with any regular DE and employing the Slide, like Dave said.

9. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

Gillette Slide?

10. swarden43

I'm on a tablet right now, difficult to post a link.
    Go to YouTube and look for Mantic59 Advanced Shaving Techniques.

Adonis likes this.
  11. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

Adonis, Tdmsu and BigMark like this.
  12. swarden43

13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Slants are very efficient razors—they do an excellent job of giving you a very close shave. I sold my 39c Sledgehammer, and it is one DE razor I wish was still in the arsenal. No special 'technique' to using one—just keep a light touch.

Adonis likes this.
  14. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

The gillette slide is when you hold the head of the razor parrallel but the stroke is at an angle. The mantic video gives a good demo.

Slants for me run mild (Ikon) to medium aggressive (Merkur).

Adonis likes this.