Never DE Shaved and already have 3 DE razors!!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Fly2High, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

hi SD gang,

In recommending an electric shaver for a friend I got deeper into shaving this Christmas. First I looked into creams and got a wonderful experience with Art of Shaving medium sandlewood kit. I have a Panasonic 8243A electric and just switching to this stuff has drastically improved the quality of my shave. Already grabbed a large kit from them unscented.

In researching various shaving supplies and the fact that I heavily admired my uncles and grandfather, I elected to order a Merkur 34C HD. A sample pack of 15 different blades are on their way. Spoke to my mother who is a beautician by trade about my experiences and she goes and pulls out my grandfather's Gillette Fatboy and Slim DE razors in very good condition! Looking forward to the blades arriving and trying out all three.

Frank

preidy, AGHisBBS, Troy M and 10 others like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi! Glad you're here.
    Rather partial to the HD, myself.

3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    And so it begins. Glad you have joined us. Enjoy the ride.
    zwelcome2a.jpg

twhite likes this.
  4. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Frank, welcome to The Shave Den! You have three mighty fine razors. Have fun!

5. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Yes you have a fine lot from the git, enjoy.
    O and hello and welcome.

6. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

3 excellent razors, and welcome!

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

7. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

You have the start of a very interesting and satisfying pursuit - the perfect shave.
    I am a little envious that you have access to your grandfather's razors. I would love that, but have had no such luck.

Enjoy these family heirlooms and time-honored tools, and good luck with your newfound interest.

Linuxguile and twhite like this.
  8. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Welcome. The Merkur 34C is a great razor to start out. Both the Gillette adjustables are excellent as well.

Sent via mobile - Chris

Linuxguile likes this.
  9. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Welcome! It sounds like you are off to a great start. A Fatboy is considered one of the best Razors ever made, and it will last you a lifetime.

My best advice is to go to Stirlingsoap.com and get one if the bundle packages. They are super cheap, extremely high quality, and contain everything you need for wet shaving.

Keep us posted

Linuxguile likes this.
  10. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

welcome to the club....your eyes have now been opened

Linuxguile likes this.
  11. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

Welcome! You've come to the right place for great advice and camaraderie.

12. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Welcome to the den!!

13. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Welcome!

14. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den, a great place to hang out!

15. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Let me add my welcome @Fly2High. I'm nine months in as far as wet shaving goes. You've made it to a great place. The guys and gals here are knowledgeable, friendly and will jump right in to help with any questions you may have. I might even chime in, in my own FNG way. Once you've gotten organized, you should stop over to the 30 day Rule/Focus thread. Lots of good info, great pics of shave gear and the World Famous shenanigans. Enjoy your shaves!

Linuxguile likes this.
  16. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

I decided to take a few photos of them. Let me know what you think. What is the best way to clean them? I think they look pretty good. I do not see anyplace where the finish is damaged and they are still so shiny. The Fatboy even still has the red indicator and black numbers. The Slim has a black pointer but the numbers might be worn away. Not sure since I have never seen a new one. According to the date codes, the Fatboy is 3rd Q 1961 and the Slim is 3rd Q 1966.

IMG_3522sm.jpg IMG_3520sm.jpg IMG_3517sm.jpg

17. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Congrats Frank, They are in great shape. Normally if there is a lot of gunk we would suggest scrubbing bubbles, but those are so clean I think a brief soak in hot water and Dawn will do the trick with some light scrubbing from an old toothbrush. If you want to repaint the numbers on the slim there are several tutorials out there. I did mine with some black nail polish. Just filled the number and wiped away the excess with a paper towel, it worked great.

18. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I'd say you're well on your way. Happy travels.

19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sweet!

As for cleaning, I use Scrubbing Bubbles (SB):
    1. Take apart (3-piece) or open up (TTO)razor
    2. Place parts or razors in small plastic tub
    3. Spray and cover with SB.
    4. Allow bubbles to disappear and immediately go to step 5
    5. Repeat steps 3 & 4
    NOTE: Prolonged soaking in SB (longer than it takes for the bubbles to disappear after the 2nd spraying) has been known to take the paint off the numbers of adjustable razors and the color off the Lady Star Gillettes
    6. Use a soft toothbrush on stubborn gunk and a toothpick in the nooks and crannies
    7. Rinse in hot water
    8. Dry
    9. I like to apply a light coating of mineral oil over all parts, and make sure to get a drop on pivot points and down the center shaft of TTOs
    NOTE: DO NOT BOIL GOLD PLATED RAZORS. IT WILL TAKE OFF THE FINISH

I follow the above procedure on all my razor - new, vintage, nickel plated, gold plated, adjustables, Lady Stars - never had a problem with plate loss, number loss, or color loss.

Clean as often as you want. They're your razors.

20. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal