New Brush New wet shaver

Discussion in 'Post testing' started by Sam7, Dec 9, 2017.

Tags:
?

Semogue 1470 compared to the Semogue 1305

Poll closed Dec 23, 2017.
  1. 1470

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1305

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Sam7

Sam7 New Member

Hello,

I hope everyone is doing well. I have recently started using a safety razor and am enjoying the expereince. I started off with a Wilkinson sword brush and still utilize it up to now. I feel it gets the job done. Anyway, I ordered 2 new brushes, the Omega 10098 and the Semogue 1470. I believe the Omega 10098 might have been a mistake considering it is quite a stiff and large brush. But the Semogue 1470 seems quite decent. Anyway, I wanted to know what you guys thought of the Semogue 1470 compared to the Semogue 1305 or any other brush in this size/price range. Any feedback would be welcome.

Jayaruh, RyX and wristwatchb like this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I used a RazoRock Blondie Boar knot, 26mm x 63mm, for another handle. It's been treated to get softer and have a less break in period. I can definitely say that after two lathers, it feels great, like it's been used daily for about 2- 3 weeks, very nice.

Jayaruh and wristwatchb like this.
  3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Both your brushes that you bought are great. They both need a little time (uses) to break them in. Give them each at least thirty shaves before you give them their final grade. The Semogue takes a little more time, but will end up as soft as a good best badger.

4. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

I highly suggest you try a synthetic brush, they are really great performers .. not to mention very reasonably priced, out of the four pictured that i own the RazoRock Beehive (orange handle) was most expensive at $14.99

PicsArt_12-10-12.28.14.jpg
    PicsArt_12-10-12.27.41.jpg

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

I like these so much I own two.
    This one is a couple years old. It's softened up quite nicely.
    SOTD 12022017.gif
    The other I pulled from the new plastic handle and installed in a removable ferrule so I can hot swap knots.
    SOTD 10172017.gif

Primotenore, Jayaruh, Dansco and 3 others like this.
  6. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

A removable ferrule??? This is quite the idea. I love It!

RyX likes this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi!
    I prefer Omega over Semogue, but that's me. I think Omegas have a denser knot.
    I have the 10098 and it's a fantastic brush. Follow @PickledNorthern 's advice about giving it 30 uses to break in. Once it is, you may find it difficult to tell the difference between it and a good badger in a blind lathering test. Yes, a boar can get that soft!

RyX, Primotenore and Jayaruh like this.
  8. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I love my Omega Pro49. I can't imagine finding a better boar brush... maybe nicer handle.

RyX, PickledNorthern and Jayaruh like this.
  9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    High their, @Sam7 , welcome to TSD. The Semogue 1305 was one of my first brushes and one of my favorites. I use Omega knots in brushes that I make. Omegas are great knots. Of course boars do have a break in period to go through, but when they are broken in, they are very good brushes.
    zwelcome2.jpg

10. PickledNorthern

You should get ahold of @Jayaruh . He makes beautiful brushes using Omega knots. One like this one is the next one on my list.

[​IMG]

RyX, Jayaruh and Primotenore like this.
  11. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I just adopted my first Jayaruh in October and I love it. I have definitely not written off the idea of another one ;)

PickledNorthern and Jayaruh like this.
  12. PickledNorthern

Gotcha.

13. RyX

RyX DoH!

The original Rubberset 400, made in the 1940's, was a hollow handled brush. It was build with a threaded ferrule. The aluminum tends to take on a patina as it corrodes. Here's a photo of one as I found it at an antique shop.
    R400 side..gif

My brush is a limited edition modern reproduction by member Tom @twhite . There are others making new handles that are similar shape, but not all have threaded bits that can be swapped.
    Here you can see it with a Whipped Dog High Mountain badger,Omega Pro #10098 boar, and a Tuxedo synthetic knot.
    B-400 WD HMB OPro98 APTux.gif

14. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

That is unbelieveable! Must be great fun to use. Amazing work from twhite!!!

RyX likes this.