New DE blades by Gillette

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

There's too many other great blades for much less money. Not even worth thinking about let alone buying?

AGHisBBS, DaltonGang and Robyflexx like this.
  2. Hillbilly79

Hillbilly79 Well-Known Member

I'll buy a pack to try. I won't buy a 100 though. I just wish I needed to shave. Got BBS last night with my G1 and a new chick. I know what I will shave with tomorrow and report back on.

AGHisBBS and JBSharp like this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I'll pass, too many great blades, at a lower cost.

Spud and AGHisBBS like this.
  4. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

image.jpeg

5. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I was at my local Walgreen's last night and, while they didn't have them, I realized something. Walgreen's sells its rebranded Israeli Personnas (Studio 35) at $7.99 for a pack of 10. That makes the Gillette blades cheap by comparison.

AGHisBBS and Jorvaljr like this.
  6. Hillbilly79

Well, I had my first shave this morning with these blades. Upon opening the package, you realize you are a victim of less for more. 3 blades in a box just doesn't seem right. One side of the wax wrapper showed 4 glue dots. I know this turns some guys off. When I removed the wrapper, the wax stayed on it instead of the blade. At first I could decide on a razor, but finally settled on a late 40'start SS. I figured it was safer than a red tip with a untried blade.

First pass WTG. Started at my sideburn. Wow, it is sharp, but it is supposed to be. First pass was smooth and efficient.

Second pass ATG. I have started this two pass regimen this week, and only with a Schick G1. The ATG pass went well for the most part. Had 3 weeps on my neck. Other than that, the blade was very effective and smooth. I will not blame the weeps on the blade, but poor technic.

With this blade being coated, I am interest in how it will perform on the second, and subsequent shaves. Only time will tell. So far I would say it is a pretty good blade. Economicso aside, I would buy this blade in a pinch anytime instead of grocery store Dorcos. At least they are smooth and sharp. Can't wait for someone else to report on these blades.

7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Thanks for the great review

JBSharp and AGHisBBS like this.
  8. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

9. Leo Davis

Leo Davis New Member

I'd buy them for the novelty, I guess, but there are plenty of great blades available online for $10 or less shipped for me to justify buying those in bulk.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  10. waddowedonowmo

waddowedonowmo Well-Known Member

Nothing at my Walgreen in Indy.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Nothing at the Walgreen's I checked downtwn San Francisco this weekend.
    I saw one razor blade brand I don't recall seeing before "Studio 35 Men's" priced at $7.99 for ten.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  12. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Just their house branding of the Israeli Personnas.

AGHisBBS and Darkbulb like this.
  13. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I couldn't find them at any of my local Walgreens in Colorado Springs

AGHisBBS likes this.
  14. Hillbilly79

Had my third shave with this blade last night. It was just as sharp, and maybe a little smoother than the first shave. Can't wait to see how long this blade while last. I will keep everyone updated.

AGHisBBS, Darkbulb and JBSharp like this.
  15. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Thanks for being the reviewer!

16. Hillbilly79

Shave number 4 tonight. Still sharp, still smooth. 3 pass, WTG, XTG x 2. DFS with Proraso white tub, and WH splash.
    I know some guys don't like the price of the blades. 9 for 6 bucks. A ten pack of Feathers are $4.50, and I only get 2 shaves and I have to throw it away. These Gillette blades are getting cheaper by the shave. I can't wait to see how many shaves these blades will last.
    Has anyone else tried one yet? I look forward to someone's perspective on these blades.

Keithmax, AGHisBBS, tuxxdk and 3 others like this.
  17. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

As far as I know you're the only one who has some right now :)

AGHisBBS and IDuck like this.
  18. Hillbilly79

Didn't realize this was shave 5 already. I was in quite a hurry this morning to get around and out of the house.
    Quick 2 pass, both XTG. Another DFS. This blade is hanging in there pretty good. I know I will shave again with it tomorrow night. Then it will be time to decide if I will go for broke, or change to a different blade Sunday morning for a comparison. More to come, and everyone have a great day.

Darkbulb, AGHisBBS and Jim99 like this.
  19. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

So the $6-question is..... "Would you buy them again...?" :)

AGHisBBS and JBSharp like this.
  20. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member