New Guys SR Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Redfisher, Jan 2, 2017.

1. leitmotiv

leitmotiv Well-Known Member

I thought the scales were interesting as well. They are a little beat up, but they also look a little unique. At least I haven't seen similar ones yet in my SR infancy.

My other two razors have spikes as well, which probably contributed to the nicks I got in the beginning. I was trying to use the spike edge to trim around my goatee, which at this stage wasn't wise. :(

Karl G, Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  2. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I learned with a spike as well. If you have a round tip; give that a try, a little less apt to bite.

3. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Maybe it's cheating but I mute the points on mine, for safety and all.....

4. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

If you do a stroke or two on your stone right on the corner, you take off the sharp tip and avoid 80% of the injuries. However, a normal hone will then bring the true spike back. Anything more than that is rounding the toe. I like to mute mine, but some I have gotten have been rounded.

5. Redfisher

The way I do it you would never know by looking at it. It could probably still cut you but you would have to work at it. Just dull the last millimeter or so. Doesn't take much.

6. George X

George X Well-Known Member

Ahhh the work week is just about over and the slice is mostly healed up. I am looking forward to get back to my straight shave this weekend

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Redfisher

I'm looking forward to tomorrow.....

twhite, Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  8. leitmotiv

I made a point of waking up particularly early this morning so I had time to shave with a SR.

Used the new 5/8" Hibbard, etc, etc, and wow was it nice! Big difference from the two smaller ones I've been using. I felt I had a lot more control, the razor gave better response to the shaving and cut through more smoothly.

Here is what I used along with the SR:

- Mikey Lee Sandalwood Pre-shave Butter
    - Country Club London Skies soap
    - Envy badger knot
    - 40s Gillette SS for touchup
    - Alum block

I quickly ran the Super Speed over my face to catch anything I missed and aside from a couple of small spots, there wasn't even any stubble feedback from the razor. The alum only gave me a slight sting and right now, nearly the end of my workday, my face still feels reasonably well shaved. That's pretty uncommon for me. Usually late in the day I could almost use another shave.

What a pleasant surprise with this razor. :)

Keithmax, Drygulch, George X and 4 others like this.
  9. Redfisher

Nice job brother!

twhite, leitmotiv and Spyder like this.
  10. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Just one suggestion:
    Stay with that razor for 30 days. It's very tempting to switch between razors, which will most likely complicate your progress.

I stuck with mine for 30 days, which really helped me become very familiar with it.

Keithmax, Drygulch, George X and 4 others like this.
  11. leitmotiv

Good point. I'm on the 30 day focus thread for this month and I'll focus on this straight razor along with the DE during the week. It will give me a chance to get familiar with the razor.

I don't know these razors or straight razors well enough to be sure of anything in regards to the blade and razor. One of the first two I got seemed to have little teeth if you held it up so the light was behind it, but it seemed to cut ok. The one with teeth also had jimps which helped me realize they could be helpful in holding the razor securely, especially as a noob. This new one made me realize the larger blade is much easier to use for me and it simply seems to do a better job.

Keithmax, George X, Redfisher and 3 others like this.
  12. Redfisher

JR Torrey razor. I've had maybe 6 shaves with it and it is staying smooth so my stropping must be OK. I really like this lime soap it has argan oil in it and seems very slick and protective. I was much less tentative and even managed to get my chin done without help from another razor. One small nick on my neck, the blade hung up for a second. The rest of my face is nice and smooth. Need to concentrate on the stretching. I'm going to rate this shave an 8.5. Could have been a 9 without the nick. :shaver

IMG_1545.JPG

13. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Now that I'm using five different straights, I'm quite surprised at how differently they all shave. They are all very sharp but some just handle better. The one razor that I had high hopes for ( Daishi 4/8) is my least favorite. It just has a hard time plowing through the thick stuff. This one is going to the auction. I really like the different"personalities" of the other ones. I'm now glad I stuck with one for 30 days, to focus fully on my technique.

14. George X

Ahhh a non work day and I got spend some me time with a straight razor. I focused on ensuring my Trigodan DeFlavra lather was wetter than normal while also having a nice non runny consistency. Love this soap
    [​IMG]
    During my shave I focused on angle, skin stretching and north to south passes. After two WTG passes I had a passable shave but I like baby's bottom fresh so I did a third. There were a few areas that needed touch up but my left hand needs more coordination with a straight so I broke out the DE and touched up...that's when I got a nick on the chin.
    Over time I suspect the entire bathroom routine time will decrease but today the 45 minutes made me feel like my man card is close to being revoked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Sounds like a success story to me:). Nice razor! I like it:)

George X, Billyfergie and Redfisher like this.
  16. George X

Thanks. I think it was a success and the Red Imp...I think I like it too. I will use it again...and again...and again

Billyfergie, Spyder and Redfisher like this.
  17. George X

[​IMG]
    Date range for E. Morris Manufacturing
    [​IMG]

Billyfergie and Redfisher like this.
  18. Kenneth Sampson

Kenneth Sampson Well-Known Member

Just put in an order at the Whipped Dog for a aight unseen and strop. Just waiting on the reply. I hate waiting for stuff in the mail, but this is a good option for us beginners.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Keithmax, Redfisher, George X and 4 others like this.
  19. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Way to go, Ken! The dark side is definitely growing:)

20. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

[​IMG]

Keithmax, Redfisher, Drygulch and 3 others like this.