New Long Comb Busted

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by bscarpenter, Sep 14, 2016.

1. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

I have a Gillette New Long Comb that I bought for $25. It has been re-plated and is in good condition except.... while I was away, it apparently got knocked off the counter & hit the deck. When I went to replace the blade the handle just kept turning & wouldn't tighten up. I checked it this morning and the threads inside the handle are hosed. Should I just toss this and chock it up as a loss? Do I have any options other than find another handle and have it plated to match or build a franken razor out of it?

NewLongComb.JPG

2. Razor Blade X

Razor Blade X Active Member

Send it to me for free. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Herm2502 likes this.
  3. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

You could try to find another to use as a handle doner or pair it up with a nice heavy aftermarket handle Or maybe try some Teflon tape on the threads on the top cap

4. bscarpenter

Could end up as a PIF

I like the idea of a cool new handle. Anyone know what size or how to find a handle that will fit?

5. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Most threads are the same now days. If it fits a Merkur, Maggard, RazoRock, or Ikon, and probably others it will fit the New head

ARGH likes this.
  6. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I would try to add some pipe tape. The white one used for plumbing

7. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

8. bscarpenter

I thought of that, but then I would have to jerk with the teflon tape every time I change blades.

Hmmm. those are some nice handles and the stainless may match ok with the finish on the head.

9. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

On Ebay, there is a seller (innov8ivelabs) who sells complete razors for about $14.00 - $22.00. I have bought two of them and they are Scotch & Stowe razors. He has a bunch listed right now with some nice handles. Free shipping.

10. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Active Member

Re-tap it, there are small kits out there for a few dollars. If it doesnt work your out nothing, but if it does you saved your razor.

11. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I have a brass / copper bar handle you can have for shipping.

12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Arg! Sorry about that. I hope you find an appropriate fix. Many other handles will fit that head.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  13. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I use a Sabi T2 handle with my "NEW" LCOC. Works even better than the original, has better grip and weight IMO. :)

14. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I use the same Weber Bulldog handle with all my razors.

I would just get a stainless handle that appeals to you and go with it.

clint64, Primotenore and Robyflexx like this.
  15. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

If it's definitely the handle that stripped. See if a heli-coil kit is available in that thread size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clint64 and jimjo1031 like this.
  16. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :signs011:

clint64 likes this.
  17. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

The head is ok? Not sure, but a modern handle may fit. Maggard Razors has several vintage-looking handles.

Herm

Omaney and jimjo1031 like this.
  18. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Why not put in a short length of brass rod turned down to the right diamater to be a press fit? Drill out the insert with the appropriate diameter bit, and then thread it with a tap and t-handle. If you want, get the handle replated so the brass insert looks all nice and silvery.

19. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

+1. This is what I would suggest.

20. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Go to maggards and buy another handle. They're not that expensive.

Herm2502 and bscarpenter like this.