New NOS razor clean up question

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by cubancigar2000, Oct 23, 2014.

1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

It seems that every time I have received a new NOS Solingen SR it comes with the lower jimps either blackened or they have a protective coat. Has anyone seen this and how do you clean it off ( or do you)

2. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I use a Brass Toothbrush, sometimes called a Parts brush or Reciever Brush hehehehe

Often found at either Auto stores or Gun stores,, They make Stainless Steel ones too I have one but have rarely used it

People that own Dremmels often use a SS brush to clean them, myself I try and keep Dremmels away from Straight razors, they have a tendency to be very unforgiving...

Like this set

http://www.amazon.com/SE-Gun-Cleaning-Set-Brushes/dp/B009HD0R86/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1414264701&sr=8-2&keywords=Brass Cleaning Brush

lindyhopper66 likes this.
  3. cubancigar2000

Thx Glen, I have the brass brushes but the stuff seems very hard. do you know what the composition is. Is it just paint or?? I was wondering if using laqeur thinner to soften it would help. Sounds like you know what I am talking about anyway? I was not sure if I just had a couple weird razors or not I just want the lower jimps cleaned up. It is on so thick you can barely feel the jimps. Thx again for the reply

4. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Hmmmm, sounds almost like Blacking,,,

You have to be really careful with using any chemicals unless the razor is free of the scales..
    Honestly the three chemicals I get the most use out of in my shop in order of Harshness

1. WD-40
    2. Kroil
    3. Brake Cleaner

I haven't found the WD or the Kroil to be harmful to scales as of yet, the Brake Cleaner will destroy most scales so be careful if you use it, even with the overspray

Edit: I have also used a File and a Hacksaw blade to clean up difficult Jimps depending on the size of the cuts

lindyhopper66 likes this.
  5. cubancigar2000

I have kroil and it softened a bit but barely. I painted cars for 30+ years so I know how to handle the thinner around plastic etc. I will dip it in but not to the scales and see what it does. Both of these razors came out of Italy and they both have it. It does appear that someone blackened it

gssixgun likes this.
  6. cubancigar2000

Thinner is the key to softening it. I put just a bit on and brass brushed it and it takes it off but the jimps run to far into the scales so I will have to un pin it. They may break but they are nothing special on one razor. The other is a revisor with a revisor emblem on the scales so I don't want to break them. We shall see

gssixgun likes this.
  7. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    We all just learned something :)

Will file that info away for another day, thanks my friend..

8. cubancigar2000

Thank you also Glen

9. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

+1

I was too much afraid of chemicals around the scales.

I've a pretty good stock of small files and I'm used to using them.
    I've owned a jewelers bench vise for years also.
    I use pieces of scrap leather to pad the jaws and file carefully.
    (worn out elk skin gloves are very good for padding)