New To Safety Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by theguitarshaver559, Feb 7, 2017.

1. theguitarshaver559

theguitarshaver559 Active Member

Hi, I am new to safety razors. I decided to switch from the carts the other day. I am just wondering if anyone can give me some tips to help me get started. Have a good day!

Jorvaljr, RyX and wristwatchb like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

George X and RyX like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

4. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Welcome to the den!
    You'll find lots of friendly people and good advice here.
    Be patient and stick with it.

George X likes this.
  5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den!

Check out the 30 Day Rule/Focus. We're all there to improve some aspect of our shaves and have fun. Everyone is welcome. You'll find lots of help and answers to your questions there!

6. George X

George X Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den and shaving paradise. I threw away cartridge last April. I searched every corner I could find to prepare myself for this journey. I read about who was using what for hardware (razor and brushes) and software (pre/post shave and soaps/creams). I stocked myself with what I could afford and dove right in. I had some nicks and cuts and still get them occasionally. Shaving is enjoyable, I have less to mostly no irritation and I shave every day.

The principle of shaving with a safety razor is the same as with a cartridge but the technique is different. Because a response to give me some tips can be quite extensive I will provide some basics and let others chime in. In would venture to say there are threads that have more detailed information than we can type here that hasn't already been typed. So in the interest of getting you started.

The basics are this...Find the angle where the razor cap and the blade make contact (search riding the cap). ONLY use the weight of the razor for pressure. Don't not bear down at all to make more contact of the razor to your skin. It's like golf. Don't force it and let the tool do all the work. Don't worry about trying to take all the whiskers off with one stroke. Do not reshave any area unless there is lather/slickness present. You will learn what works over time, but if you seek answers you will find them here. If you specific questions...don't be shy and ask away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RetLEO-07, Linuxguile and RyX like this.
  7. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I have lots of tips. Some of them might even be worth reading - grin. Have you decided on a razor? I started with a Merkur 34C and really loved it. In fact, I liked it so much I gave it to one of my sons (I would rather they have better tools than me). It is a great razor for both learning to use a DE and for experienced shavers. I was given a Gillette adjustable (a Fatboy) and would also highly recommend one. The adjustable Slims are very affordable.

Razor blades are important, of course. I prefer Astra SPs and Gillette Seven O'clock blades. I highly recommend getting a sample pack to see what works best for you.

Next is soap or creams. I love Haslinger soaps. However, Taylor of Old Bond Street is a great cream and easy to lather. Lathering takes a little practice, but makes a huge difference.

Finally, brushes are a great tool for shaving. I really like badger, and would love to try a decent one (my one badger brush is cheap). However, boar is cheaper as is synthetic. They are all good, and can help you get a good lather with any decent soap or cream. I purchased a Razorock Plissoft synthetic for my wife to use for leg shaving and it does well.

As far as using the razor, go slow, especially at first. Take one pass with the grain of your wiskers and one across the grain. This means you need to map out how your whiskers grow. Don't worry about against the grain until you are comfortable with WTG and XTG (with and across the grain). Use as little to no pressure as possible. Carts require more pressure but DE razors should have barely any pressure.

Consider an after shave balm. They can make minor irritations go away, plus help your skin.

Finally, all questions. No one knows it all. Folks here are more than willing to help. The guys that shave with a DE or straight razor are quite gentlemanly. They want you to enjoy the experience. This is why I stay on the forum.

Good luck with it. I am glad you are here.

Sent via mobile - Chris

George X likes this.
  8. theguitarshaver559

Thanks for the advice!

lightcs1776 likes this.
  9. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

My advice is to go slow, and resist the temptation to buy every single thing that every single person is going to tell you is better than the last better thing you just bought.

Nearly every single product you are going to read about here, with only a very few exceptions, is capable of giving you an awesome shave if you give it a chance. Pick some kit, and stick with it for a while before you go nuts shopping.

10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome @theguitarshaver559! A hundred years ago shavers owned one razor, one soap, one brush. It's a good way to start now. If you haven't selected your gear (have you?) use that search box. We have a deep database of opinion, advice, & actual information. There are a wide range of products to suit your needs from old standards to experimental beta testing not yet released to the public.
    Check the Shave of the Day thread to see what's being used this week. Join the 30 Day Crew for intensive instruction (and Mayhem, or are we doing Shenanigans this month?).

Terry Williams likes this.
  11. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

What he said...

Gear Acquisition Syndrome can be a real problem and can cause others. Don't change up your gear too much in the early going; your face will pay if you aren't careful. Pretty much everyone of us here was burned and scarred in the early going. I would imagine that you will experience a few trials along the way. But, keep at it. It is very rewarding.

Another piece of advice that I would add is to try to not get the perfect shave when you are just starting out; resist the temptation of a perfectly smooth face. It will happen in time and with practice. Remember that you are placing a very sharp and exposed razor blade against your face and it will scrape and cut a lot more than just hair. So, if you keep going over the same spot, then you will start taking more than just your beard. Just sayin'.

lightcs1776 likes this.
  12. theguitarshaver559

Right now, I'm trying to decide what razor to get to begin with.

RyX likes this.
  13. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Watch Mantic59 videos on YouTube!

HERM

lightcs1776, RyX and Terry Williams like this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Ahh, then basic info? You have a little bit of a learning curve to conquer. I'll toss out a bunch of statements and a few questions. Not trying to confuse you, more introduction to jargon.
    The most common razors around may be Double Edge (DE). These are available in new or vintage. Prices vary so much I'll just say an old one - given to you by a family member - cheapest to get started. Heirloom Razors are cool because of the old fashion factor. Other end of the scale are Zircon Encrusted with Bells and Whistles. They may also be old, or new. There are too many to name, but Gillette DE's are a good place to start for a vintage razor. Ebay is chock full of them, but don't go shopping yet. There's also Single Edge (SE). These can be 100 years old made by GEM, 30-50 years old by Schick, or brand new. Different blades than the DE razors and my take more time to develop the techniques to shave without damage. If you like the Danger and Skill path, there's Straight Razors and Shavettes.
    Any of this sound familiar to you? If no - start doing those searches, look at photos, read lots.
    Then we'll talk about soaps, brushes, and aftershaves.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  15. theguitarshaver559

The only thing I'm used to in shaving is using those cartridge razors. I already knew that safety razors came in both old and new fashioned. I have a lot of learning to do before I pick up my first razor and use it.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

Right here in our forum is a Classified section. Because of Peer Review, there's a good chance you'll be treated fairly. The prices should be better than New if you are OK with giving the gear a quick Dawn Dish liquid scrub before you use it.
    It's common for shavers to catch an Acquisition Disorder. When it happens we buy lots of gear, either Software (consumables like soap, aftershaves, etc.) or Hardware (durable items like razors, brushes, etc.) Some of that gear gets offered for sale at either new or slightly used prices. Sometimes it's gifted to the community in a PIF (Pay It Forward) as a thanks for the camaraderie we share as wet shavers. You might visit the Newbie Give Away for a chance at some free stuff. Read the details to be sure you qualify.

lightcs1776 likes this.
  17. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Hello and welcome

18. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

If I could go back in time to give myself advice, I would tell myself to get a good sample pack. I really suffered through my first 6 months of shaving because I only bought one brand (Derby) that was way too dull for my whiskers. Each shave some whiskers got pulled out by root instead of getting sliced.

Blades have different grinding, different coating, different sharpness. Your first task will be to find a good balance between smoothness and sharpness. A good blade should not tug and pull in you whiskers, as that causes you to lose precision.

My advice is to get this sample pack: http://www.ebay.com/itm/85-mixed-Ru...lades-sample-pack-Rasierklingen-/322411635860 and additionally some Feather blades (the sharpest brand): http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Blades-Me...i-Stainless-Shaving-Razor-Blade-/221795551735

With those two blade purchases you get 90 blades to keep you busy for a long time. I recommend those because you get a full tuck of 5 blades of each brand, meaning you have a chance to revisit a blade later once your skills have developed. Also, if you find a blade to work particularly well, you have some extra to use while waiting to receive more of them. Many of those brands can be bought for around $10 for 100 blades, including shipping.

lightcs1776 likes this.
  19. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

First - welcome! Secondly you are entering a whole new world. A world that can bring you great personal satisfaction and pleasure for the rest of your life. Take it slow - give yourself time to develop your own technique - no need to hurry in this new world. Start with a mild razor - Merkur 34c or Edwin Jagger DE 89. Get a sample pack of different blades. Different razors like different blades and you need to decide what your face likes or dislikes. Any opinion here is just that - what I like may or may not end up being what you like. As your technique evolves - and it will take months - your preferences will change. Buy a couple different soaps to start. Check the soap forum for information. The slickness of a soap will affect the quality of the shave. Slick is good. Buy a decent brush -no need to spend a lot of money. There are many web sites that sell wet shaving/double edge equipment and accessories. One of my favorite sites is West Coast Shaving (just goggle it). Enjoy the journey and adventure. We're all here to help.

RetLEO-07 and lightcs1776 like this.
  20. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

When it comes to razors, there will be many different opinions. I do not claim my opinion to be the best option for everybody, but as I know you want to hear the opinions the members here got I will give mine too.

Personally I get most razors to work, but I have a bias towards razors with small gap. I find them to be more comfortable. This many cartridge manufacturers also agree with, which is why they have so small gap between the blades.

The problem with small gaps is clogging. This is why I also have a bias for open combs. The open comb design is just a more efficient way to cut the slots for lather and stubble to exit. This design allows very small gaps without clogging.

If I would have to give advice about first razor purchase to someone wanting small gap, Parker 24C would not be a bad option.