New to this Level of Shave Creams

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by m2244, Mar 24, 2017.

1. m2244

m2244 New Member

Hello

So, I recently bought a razor kit that came with Edwin Jagger Sandalwood shave cream. At first I was not too sure about the smell, the thought even crossed my mind that the package had expired. But after the first shave, I loved it. Something about it seems to make shaving a luxury. And it's funny how a scent that initially seemed quite bad can now be so pleasing.

This is my first experience with a shave cream that you work up into a lather from a hard soap consistency. I like the Edwin Jagger but it doesn't seem to lather up for me, although I'm sure I'm missing something.

My question is, after all that, what are some of your favorite brands, scents, and types of shave cream and what do you like about it?

Thanks for the insight.

crackstar, RyX and Bama Samurai like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Proraso Red is an Italian Sandalwood soap that is easy to work and comfy on the skin.

ninjack, crackstar and brit like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

in the sandalwood range of creams i like proraso red and taylor of old bond street.proraso is a soft soap and tobs is a cream.both work very well and are easy to lather.the tobs scent is a little cologne like .unfortunately i don t have any other sandalwoods to suggest but there are many others out there with similar characteristics.

crackstar likes this.
  4. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Not big on sandalwood. But Bay Rum is a different story!
    I've got Route 66 "Rum Runner", Col. Conk Bay Rum on the soap side. On the cream side, Stone Cottage Soapworks "Bay Lime" and Taconic Bay Rum. For A/S, the one and only Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum.
    Just a rummy I guess!

ninjack, crackstar and Matt0210 like this.
  5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

My favorite scent is probably rose. I have some Taylor of Old Bond Street rose cream that is great. Easy to lather. I also have the proraso red cream. It's a nice scent,and a great feeling lather.

PanChango and crackstar like this.
  6. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

Ahhh I love Bay Rum. Just finished a Stirling sample of their Bay Rum. My wife loves it

crackstar likes this.
  7. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

My favorite cream soaps are Taylor of Old Bond Street (TOBS) and Truefitt and Hill (TH).

Tobs has one of the best sandalwoods on the entire market, regardless of soap type (right up there with Barrister and Mann's latha sandalwood). Tobs "Jermyn Street" is my personal favorite tobs scent. It is a staple in my shave den.
    I also like tobs Eton college, avocado, and peppermint.

Truefitt and Hill 1805 is incredible, and easily one of my absolute favorite scents in all of wet shaving. Grafton and Rose and also stunners.

crackstar likes this.
  8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I have the Edwin Jagger Menthol cream. I find it's very easy to lather. It's fairly cooling with a good post-shave feel. I'm not really a fan of the scent although I've smelled worse.

9. JohnnyTex

JohnnyTex Well-Known Member

I have come to really appreciate creams a lot more now than when I first started wet shaving. After some trial and error...I decided to try the finger dollop placed into the wet brush bristles and then face lather. Worked like a charm! Now that's what I do exclusively with my creams. Anyway...

My favorites are TOBS, St. James of London...and Art of Shaving.

I have in my collection:
    TOBS...Sandalwood, Coconut and Mr. Taylors
    SJoL...Mandarin and Patchouli, Cedarwood and Clarysage
    AOS...OUD, Ocean Kelp, Lemon, Lavender

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  10. m2244

m2244 New Member

Man, so many replies. Wonder if I'll have time to try them.

Thanks fellas

11. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

There are so many great soaps and creams on the market.
    The Vulfix sandalwood is probably the easiest cream to get a great lather from that I've ever seen. It's so easy to work with that little kids can lather it.

12. ninjack

ninjack Well-Known Member

Caswell Massey makes a great smelling sandalwood. Almost exactly like Proraso Red to be honest. The Proraso lathers better imo. The Proraso Red also has a sandalwood aftershave splash to go with the cream. Caswell Massey has a sandalwood balm and a sandalwood cologne spray. They all complement each other nicely. Caswell Massey has been around since the 1752.

13. McGrande

McGrande Well-Known Member

I'll second the Proraso red sandalwood. Either the soap or cream. In fact, for me, all the Proraso creams work well. My two favorite scents in the creams are the white and blue.

ninjack likes this.