Newbie here . My razor burn saga

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Hoss304, May 22, 2017.

1. Hoss304

Hoss304 Well-Known Member

Im mid 30's . Have been shaving since I was a teen. Former mach 3 user , recently switched to a cheap Shave Factory safety razor . It came with Derby extra blades. I went cheap just to see if it was my fix. No matter how or what I shave with I get razor burn on my neck. I've since ordered a feather razor to try . Haven't received it yet. My first shave with the Derby went well . I enjoy the double edge 3 pass shave. I still had my normal burn but I figured I'd give it a few more tries before I switch to a new blade. I have continued to use it , switched blades a few times now . It just seems no matter what I do, try, or buy I can't kick the burn, bumps. I've tried several shave creams , Dollar shave club butter .. I even shaved once using coconut oil. Always the same result. I know the razor and derby blades aren't the best but I just wanted to try one out. Is there a fix for this ? I've watched YouTube for years , tried every type of razor. I even get irritation with a electric wet shaver. Not as bad but it's still there. Lasts 2-3-4 days then it's time for another shave. Constant battle.

2. Hoss304

Forgot to add .. I also shave my head. I can use any razor on it and not a single issue.

3. Edwin Jagger Loyalist

Edwin Jagger Loyalist Active Member

You might be shaving against the grain on your neck and it is telling you the only good option is with the grain. That's what worked for me. Map out our neck hair and see if you're shaving with the grain rather than across or with the grain.

whiteboy_cannon, LOOT, MR41 and 4 others like this.
  4. RazorMackham

RazorMackham Member

I was getting burn with certain sharp blades (although not with Derby blades... they're not among the sharpest) and one of the mods here suggested that I might be shaving at an angle with the handle too close to my face, which causes the blade to really scrape across the skin instead of just cutting the hair. If you're used to cartridges, you're almost certainly used to an angle that's not good for DE shaving.

The recommendation was to "ride the cap" - - meaning start with the top of the top cap flat on face (handle sticking straight out, so no cutting is happening), then start bringing the handle slowly closer to your face as you start your shaving motion. As soon as the blade starts to engage, that's your angle. You should then reverify the angle when you, for example, switch from cheek to neck, or WTG to ATG.

Tried riding the cap with a blade that was giving me great shaves but causing irritation after the first shave (Rapira Platinum Lux), and I've had 3 trouble free shaves with it now.

After-shave routine may also factor in... I've had good luck with an alum block, followed by a homemade aftershave that's basically Fine Snake Bite plus witch hazel: alcohol (vodka), Thayer's Witch Hazel, and menthol crystals. I may add some glycerin to restore a slicker feel after the alum rub.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

1). Welcome to TSD! We can help.
    2) Please give it some time. It will take your face a couple of months to heal from cart shaves.
    3) The razor burn is the result of too much pressure and poor attack angles.
    4) These are some guys who would love to help you, and they won't tell you to buy more gear. More gear isn't the issue at this point, it's all technique.
    5) This is how to shave comfortably with any DE.

You'll get this figured out. Good luck!

Exactly right!

6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Welcome to the den!
    It took me a year to figure out that I can only shave with the grain on my neck.
    You can spend a Kings Ransom on blades and different razors, map out your face (the direction of hair growth) and go with that. Like anything else after a few shaves you'll get the hang of it.
    Yes! You can shave your head with a DE razor.
    Again welcome to the den.

7. dapper636

dapper636 Active Member

Also make sure

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

8. Hoss304

In recent years I've went to all Nivea sensitive skin products . Gel and balm . Since the safety razor I've bought van der hagen soap and Clubman pinaud aftershave. That's my current line up

9. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den. A great place with good advice.

George X likes this.
  10. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Go with minimal prep, and learn to use a low angle. I am serious about minimal prep. Shaving involves cutting hair with stainless steel, it will cut hair with or without prep. Products aren't the issue here in any way; gel or soap and brush, it's the shave angle and pressure that's doing you harm. It's likely holdover technique from cart shaving, which teaches no angle mastery (its preset, head is flexible), and encourages heavy pressure to help the cart cut. Stop shaving. Yes, you read that correctly. Next time, lather your face, and just simply and very gently wipe off the lather with the razor, while riding the cap.

11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Den. The first things that came to mind was that you are using too much pressure like people do with Mach 3. Secondly, your angle may be off a bit. Ride the cap... Lift the handle so that the blade comes off the skin, then lower it until it makes contact. Lightly shave at this angle. If that is not enough, lower the handle a bit. The combination of light touch and a good angle should help. Also, I would be remiss if I didn't mention the "Fellowship of Cold Water Shavers." Cold water shaving will help cure a lot of irritation problems. Wash your face with cold water, shave with cold water, and rinse with cold water. Some actually ice their water, but that is not necessary. Use just what comes out of the cold water side. I think you will notice a difference right away.

12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  13. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Not an adherent to the Cold Water School but I've been here long enough to see that it has helped some of the guys. You've got nothing to lose, give it a shot. Good luck!

whiteboy_cannon and George X like this.
  14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Welcome. You have all the advise you need there. Those guys know what they are talking about. Enjoy the shaves!!

whiteboy_cannon and George X like this.
  15. George X

George X Well-Known Member

This thread right here...that's what drew me in...great group of folks that share experience and wisdom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wchnu likes this.
  16. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Hey relatively new myself also had tons of neck irritation ingrown hairs every time I shaved no matter what cart I used it's what brought me to DE shaving. I used the ride the cap technique as well as adopting a cold water approach and my last week of shaves has been nearly perfect. Try the 30 day club it's a place to focus solely on technique don't worry about gear. Use an alum block as well they only cost $5-7 and give instant feedback on your shave if it stings you shaved off too much skin if not good to go.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

17. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Good advice there!
    :happy088:

18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yup this guy right here understands. BULLY!!!!

19. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD! I think all of the good advice has been given.

whiteboy_cannon likes this.
  20. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Also on the neck area after going WTG and CTG the 3rd pass don't do ATG but instead do the 45 degree angle pass which should be the angle that's in between WTG and CTG. Actually on my ATG and CTG passes I mix it up with the 45 degree angle buffing since even though the lather is gone the slickness is there. I no longer do touch ups, they are over rated + my technique allows me to not really need them at all. FYI I have a skin that gets irritated easy, year + into DE and SE shaving no irritation, no skin burn or redness, 95% of thee time nicks free and only time I nick my self if the day I'm shaving I have a skin bump that protrudes more than usual....

Give it time, wet shave with safety razor at least a month and then switch over to GEM + PTFE, AC blades and Injector PTFE blades and you will realize that SE shaving is idiot proof to skin burn. Another thing that will help you and this is guarantee for sure is daily shaving, you shave daily and your skin will just roughen up and get used to blade touch no matter what.