Nivea Post Shave Rash

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Matt0210, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

So I've been battling some irritation on my neck for about 2 weeks now. I would finish my shave like I always do, and go through my post shave routine of a splash of AV and then Nivea PSB. Ive been shaving with a DE for months now and have my beard growth direction, pressure of the razor, all the basics pretty much down with no problems and without any kind of irritation whatsoever, getting the best shaves I've ever had in my life.

Well I've finally figured out what has been causing the irritation. During my shave I was really taking time and going slow to be sure I didnt rush anything and even stuck to a single pass so as to not further irritate my neck. Used cold water for the shave and everything felt great. Ran the alum around my face and neck and got no feedback from it at all, so far so good. Then I splashed with AV on my face and neck and nothing but a nice cooling sensation on the irritated area. After letting the AV dissipate from my skin for about 5 minutes, I went to apply an almond sized dallop of Nivea to finish it off. As I applied it to my skin nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Within literally 2 minutes of it being applied my face and neck started to feel hot like I had a sunburn, went to the mirror to look at the irritated area and my whole neck was splotchy, it looked like I broke out in hives all over my neck. I immediately washed off my face and neck with cold water to get the balm off my skin and once it was off my rash and what I thought has been razor burn returned to normal after about 10 minutes. Crazy as Ive been using Nivea since day 1 of DE shaving and never realized I was having allergic reactions to it. I always just chalked it up to technique.

So to all those new guys out there using this stuff and thinking its your technique thats causing irritation, stop using this stuff because its probably a reaction. Im sure most peoples skin can handle it but it seems mine just cant.

AGHisBBS and Screwtape like this.
  2. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Wow that sounds bad with the Nivea.

What if you don't use the AV splash? maybe the two together is no good?

Technically it's double confetti with two after shaves. One should suffice, although I know many uses two different types.

Matt0210 likes this.
  3. Matt0210

I havent tried it without the AV splash. But if given the choice of one or the other I think Ill stick with the AV, loving the menthol. I didnt know the Nivea PSB was considered an AS. Maybe it was too much.

4. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

For years I thought I had 'sensitive skin'. Despite using Nivea Sensitive balm I always got a rash when shaving. I decided to grow a beard.
    Now I know that Nivea Sensitive is the only substance known to shavekind that reliably gives me a rash. I have since put all sorts of stuff on my face without any problems. I have no idea what they put in Nivea 'Sensitive', but it's evil. I know others that have experienced the same.
    You are not alone.

Matt0210 likes this.
  5. tuxxdk

Generally speaking an AS is considered a splash. but giving it a thought, everything you apply after the shave is an after shave.

After shave splash, after shave balm, after cream... all after shaves.

Screwtape and Matt0210 like this.
  6. Matt0210

Nah i dont think so. There are lots of things you can apply after a shave that are not considered "aftershaves". Using your logic, an alum block is an aftershave. But its obviously not. Aftershaves are usually classified as such because they're astringents and contain either alcohol, witch hazel, or antiseptic qualities. And Nivea contains no alcohol, witchhazel, and isnt an astringent.

7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Perhaps this was the logic behind Rise Cooling Balm-the company calls it an "Aftershave Cooling Balm" to help make sure the consumer knows when to apply it.

Matt0210 likes this.
  8. Matt0210

Yeah maybe so. I always thought you could use them together but now after reading a bit, your supposed to use one or the other. Either way, I wont touch that Nivea again. Ill try anything else before i use it again. Just feel stupid for not realizing it sooner but you live and learn.

Paul Turner likes this.
  9. tuxxdk

An alum block can't stand alone as aftershave . all the other types mentioned above can. So I still consider them after shaves whether it's a lotion, splash balm or cream. If it soothes after the shave it's an after shave. People are just getting confused because normally you'd equal a splash with an after shave.

The Nivea is as much as an after shave than AV - just a different type (balm vs splash)

Matt0210 likes this.
  10. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

I don't have any issue with Nivea Sensitive Aftershave Splash and Nivea Sensitive Aftershave Balm and I don't get any irritation.

These are the product I have in Australia:-
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    LaSalle82 and Matt0210 like this.
  11. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I started with the standard blue cap. Then, when I was having a problem with menthol in shave soaps and splashes, I went to the white cap for sensitive skin. I've never had a problem since. I really like Nivea because it hydrates really well and soothes my skin. Plus, it doesn't have a scent that seems to get in the way of splashes or colognes. I've never tried the Nivea splashes (I've never seen them in Target or Walmart). Though, these days I have been using Proraso Aloe and Vitamin E Balm (I swear by aloe and vitamin E). I always apply balm after "alum and rinse." I let it soak in while I brush my teeth and then use an aftershave splash of my choice.

Matt0210 likes this.
  12. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I really regret you experienced that problem. Your mileage may vary (YMMV) on all products, for all of us. I use Nivea Sensitive balm after every shave with no problems. I've used it for years. I'll splash on witch hazel often mixed with a little aftershave splash for light scent for the first post-shave step. I'll let that dry and then smear on a liberal amount of balm. I really enjoy it, and my face really needs the moisturizing qualities.

Too bad you experienced the opposite, but I'm glad you found the culprit!

Matt0210 and Screwtape like this.
  13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Are you rinsing the alum off after letting it sit for about half a minute?
    I've found alum can burn if not rinsed off.

Matt0210 and Terry Williams like this.
  14. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Alum, balm, and av a/s?
    If you want to, i think I'd try one product t at a time. It may well be that nivea irritates you, but its supposed to be pretty mild. (But then again why would they make a for sensitive skin product). But if it is just bringing out another issue (bad angle, too many passes). Using one product at a time will allow you to isolate it easier.

Bussemand and Matt0210 like this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

No experience with Nivea products. I have used two others of a similar type.
    Clinique For Men Post Shave Soother that I found to be ineffectual despite it's prestigious Name Brand and $20 price tag.
    Cremo Men's Face Moisturizer on the other hand is my go to product when I'm suffering from irritation. I like to try new-to-me razors and invariably the first couple uses as I'm learning the angle of attack give a bit of razor burn especially on my neck. The Cremo product soothes that quickly, last for hours, and doesn't give me any odd side effects. It's available at my local shops and at $8 I'll pick up another when I use up the current bottle. I also enjoy a couple of the Cremo shave creams.

Matt0210 likes this.
  16. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

If it's the Alum giving you the problem, try using Witch Hazel instead.

Matt0210 likes this.
  17. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Your problem with Nivea Sensitive is entirely possible. You are describing a contact allergy. It would be nice if you could eventually identify the ingredient that is most likely the culprit and then you can simply keep an eye out for it in the ingredient lists of soaps, a/s, balms, sunscreen lotions, etc. and avoid many future problems before they start.

Until you do know the active culprit, you may want to do what many people with sensitivities do and test products on your forearm before slathering them on your face and neck. This sometimes works (not always as the arm skin is somewhat less sensitive than the face.)

I know I have a sensitivity to scents. Aqua Velva, for example, gives me a headache if concentrated near my nose, although I can sniff it in the bottle or be near someone wearing it without any problem. (Rather reduces its effectiveness as a personal a/s, needless to say.) In the same way, Neutrogena Razor Defense aftershave balm - supposedly unscented - sometimes gives me headaches but the Nivea Sensitive, which on the surface seems nearly identical, does not.

These sort of personal allergic issues just add one more layer of complexity to choice of products over and above performance and enjoyment of scent, etc...

18. Goodlad

Goodlad Active Member

I use the Nivea for pst shave as I like a balm versus a splash when the weather gets colder here. (and it really gets cold) I wish they made it unscented as I am not crazy about the smell. My wife seems to like it though.

Matt0210 likes this.
  19. Matt0210

Thanks for all the replies. Im guessing that it might be an ingredient in it that my skin cant handle. im just glad i found out what it was because it today my skin feel fantastic and redness free. I just wanted to let others know because it took me a while to figure out that it was the nivea irritating my skin. I see alot of new shavers on here talk about the neck irritation so i wanted to give them something to think about as to what else could be causing it. It sucks when you cant enjoy your shaves because irritation.

tuxxdk, RyX and Screwtape like this.
  20. Matt0210

Yeah i was making sure to get it all off. This was the first time ive used my alum block in about a week and only used it to make sure it wasnt the razor causing it.