Nivea shave cream confusion?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by jfever311, Oct 22, 2008.

1. jfever311

jfever311 Active Member

Good day to everyone at TSD. I have a question for you all about Nivea shave cream. As I have been gathering information about the product, I have found two types. One is the German made version that can be purchased here at smallflower: http://www.smallflower.com/nivea/nivea-razor-creme-tube-67.5-ml-cream.html

And the other one you can get right here at TSD store: http://www.theshaveden.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=60

I have read in various places that the one in TSD's store is made in India or Turkey. Is that true?

Now to the main point. What is the difference between the two creams in terms of ingredients and performance? It would be great to get a list of ingredients from each to compare. If anyone can be any help in getting to the bottom of this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Regards,
    Jason

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    The Nivea TSD Store carries says Made in India, under license and registered trademark of BDF Beiersdorf AG Hamburg, Germany.

The only ingredients listed are the ones listed in TSD Store.

Key Ingredients;
    Propylene Glycol, Coconut Oil, Olive Oil

Paul Turner likes this.
  3. jfever311

jfever311 Active Member

4. jfever311

jfever311 Active Member

Browsed the entire internet today. Help..................................... please!

5. jfever311

jfever311 Active Member

German formulation :

Aqua, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Cocoate, Glycerin, Stearic Acid, Olea Europaea, Parfum, Dimethicone, Maris Sal, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Cocoate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Linalool, Limonene, Benzyl Salicylate, Hydroxyisohexyl-3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Hydroxycitronellal.

Now all I need is a full ingredient list from the "made in india" version..................

crackstar likes this.
  6. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

this is a case of YMMV, because one of my salesmen uses only Nivea lather cream, and has been using it for 8 years, and loves it. Armand, my brother-in-law also loves it, and I personally find the lather and skincare very good, but I detest the scent of it. Here in Canada, it is sold as a replacement of Florena cream, which I find very different, and a lot better, with a much nicer scent.

7. crackstar

I like reviving some of these threads. Nivea cream is sold apparently world-wide. A very good friend of mine is Egyptian and he says it's very popular over there and sells for around 2,00$ EUR. Good price, huh?

8. brit

brit in a box

here in b.c canada we get the nivea originals in the blue tube and sensitive in the white tube.not sure where they originate from.they say germany i think.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    crackstar likes this.
  9. danbuter

danbuter Well-Known Member

Nivea pulled most of it's shaving stuff from the States, unfortunately.

10. crackstar

Yes, Nivea is German. Head office is in Hamburg.

11. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Average price, I would say. Even slightly steep. I would have guessed €1,50 or so.

crackstar likes this.
  12. crackstar

The reason it sells for that price is because it's imported from Germany. The local creams there cost under a dollar and I remember paying 50 cents for these creams made there:

Tamara
    Five Fives
    Chabrawichi 555
    Keops (no longer in production)
    Handsome (no longer in production)

In Egypt shaving creams which are made there are starting to be slowly fazed out by imported stuff from Europe such as Proraso and Nivea. You can still find Tamara, Five Fives, Chabrawichi 555, Palmolive, Lord, and Ingram quite easily in pharmacies and grocery stores but my friend says that he predicts that within 10-15 years these locally-made creams will be gone. He also told me that traditional wetshaving is becoming less and less common over there. :(

13. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Nivea cream (lather cream) is very popular in India. However it's a German-made product.

14. Grick

Grick Active Member

In Germany, Nivea is 1,49€ and Florena 95c.

Yehuda D likes this.
  15. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

And Palmolive Classic cream is 85 cents.

Yehuda D likes this.
  16. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

The local military exchanges carry the full line of Nivea products as does the local Walmart.

Yehuda D and BigMark83 like this.
  17. Yehuda D

Wow, that's cheap.

18. Grick

Grick Active Member

In some shops it's €1,49 now.

Yehuda D likes this.
  19. Yehuda D

I have a tube of both variants and I definitely overpaid although I can't really whine too much about the price.