"No Buy July" - Pledge

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Darkbulb, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Wet shaving is a great hobby and I won't deny that part of what makes it fun and exciting is trying out new things - but, sometimes we may just not stop and fully appreciate what we already have.

July is three weeks away...enough time to get your 'must have orders' in.

After that, who is up for taking a "No Buy July" pledge where you can't buy anything shaving related for the entire month?

The purpose is, as mentioned, just to gently 'force' ourselves to take a month and just appreciate what we already have - and who knows, maybe even use up some products we've been having lying around ;-)

It may be a silly idea/concept but for those of you that are in let me know by putting your names in here and I'll make a more official post with everyone's names as July start up - that way we can keep track of eachother to make sure we don't slip ;-)

Hey, just think of it - you'll be able to tell your spouse that you're not buying anything for an entire month....

I'm in: Darkbulb

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

As long as it is limited to shaving stuff, I can do it. Archery stuff, on the other hand...

3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

No worries - just shaving related items ;-)

PatrickA51 likes this.
  4. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

I can do that.

PatrickA51 and Darkbulb like this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I will do this. My wedding anniversary is in July, my wife wants to buy me a razor. So it's her, not me.

6. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Hmmm, sounds doable. I can place orders with vendors and ask them to ship on various dates throughout July, so I will still receive a nice package every week or so.... Ok, I'm in!

:happy069:

7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Great, I'll be rounding up everyone's names from this threat and include the roster in the post closer to July :)

If you're in..just let me know in this thread :D

PatrickA51 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  8. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Blades - Check
    Anticipated Soaps - Check
    Tons of Aftershave - Check
    No desire for new razors - Check
    Final boar brush en route - Check

I'm in.

Hopefully

9. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

Add my name to list please.

Dave

10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I have plenty of gear and probably won't buy anything, but I am going to sit this one out.

If I stumble across something I want or get a great deal that I cant pass up, I will buy it. What curbed my need to purchase soaps is using a puck from start to finish without anything else. Once I saw how long it lasted and then figured out how roughly how long my hoard would last, I all but stopped buying soaps on a whim.

A fun thing to do would be a PIF or a pass around amongst those particpating. Be a nice way to try some gear without buying anything.

Have fun with it.

11. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

What the heck.

I'm down to 75 blades, so I was about to order another 200, but that can wait.
    I have 17 soaps/croaps/creams, plus 4 samples. Good enough for a month.;)
    witch hazel, alum, AS, cologne, deodorant, bath soaps, shampoo - all good

I'm in.

PatrickA51, ObiDon and Darkbulb like this.
  12. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I'm in!

13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

"I hereby swear under oath to TSD that I, under no circumstances, shall purchase/trade for/beg/barter/steal ANY items that are deemed shaving related—heretofore described as articles used in the preparation, execution and fulfillment of the wet-shaving process as understood by common usage; and applicable soley to the epilation of facial hair, and not be misconstrued as invalidating one's usage of said equipment or articles to the other regions (i.e. areas below the head and neck region; including underarms, legs, bikini lines, palms and naughty bits); for a period commencing on the first day of July and terminating at 12:00am, July 30, 2014."

Question: Does the acquisition of items related to the restoration of razors count against this abstinence during the described time period?

PatrickA51, ObiDon and Keithmax like this.
  14. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

That's down right un-American Son! Whose side are you on anyway?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Just wait: You didn't read the fine print where not only do we forego shaving stuff; but we are also to give up liquor, red meat, snuff, coffee and square-dancing for the duration!

16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I'd say no. The purpose is more to enjoy what we have when it comes to the act of our regular shaving - razor, blades, soaps, scuttles, aftershave, balm, etc.
    Restoration, building a razor stand, etc, etc would fall outside of that and would be ok ;)

PatrickA51 and HolyRollah like this.
  17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Okay—I am definitely in for NoBuyJuly...:cool:

PatrickA51 likes this.
  18. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I'm a definite maybe
    I wanna think a bit before I commit

PatrickA51 likes this.
  19. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

..... after REALLLLLLY thinking on this, I'm in. The only thing that can break my will is finding a slim or fat boy in the wild, but I say, could any of us resist that?

PatrickA51, ObiDon and JR Reyes like this.
  20. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Count me in brah.

PatrickA51 likes this.