Non-Gillette razors. . Sort of.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bookworm, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

This came as a lot, and I bought them specifically because they weren't Gillette, and they looked like they'd be fun to clean up - while not being obviously broken.

I have more detailed photos of each one, but I'll just give an outline of them, and do detailed photos in another thread, when I have the 'clean' photos to put next to the dirty ones.

From the left, we have a Gillette 3 piece clone (or at least, that's what I thought it was) from a company called ATECO. All I can find is that the company was founded by a German, but whether or not the razor was made there or in the US, who knows. The interesting part is that it's a _4_ piece razor. I didn't find that out until after it was cleaned enough, and I was polishing. Silver plated brass.

The next is the non-Gillette that's at least half Gillette. The head is from an OLD, but the handle is, as far as I can tell, pure zinc. No pest, as such. All that white on there is soap that scrubbed off.

Next is the Gem Micromatic that exploded crap into the ultrasonic cleaner (in another thread)

The last one, on the right, is a no-name one piece. Nice handle, but it suffers from only being able to put the cap into the baseplate one way. It's been torqued insanely hard, and the center post is slightly cocked at an angle. It also appears to be silver plate over brass.

Any guesses on the ATECO or the no-name? Or even about the zinc handle?

non-gillette-lot01.jpg non-gillette-lot02.jpg

jimjo1031 and gorgo2 like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Maybe that fourth one is a funky slant.

3. Bookworm

Nah. It's actually a very well made clone. It's the center stud that's bent over, almost like someone carefully whacked the edge of a table with it. It's not much, but just enough that with the tight tolerances of the pins, you can only side the base plate on one way. Rotate it 180 degrees, and you'll have to force it on.

4. Bookworm

Here's the same set of razors, now clean and polished. (well, a week or two ago)

Non-Gillette-Lot-Clean04.jpg Non-Gillette-Lot-Clean03.jpg

jimjo1031 likes this.