NOV 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic&Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Oct 31, 2015.

?

What is your preferred method of making lather?

Poll closed Nov 30, 2015.
  1. Scuttle

12.3%
  2. Bowl, warm water

33.3%
  3. Bowl, cold water

3.5%
  4. Face lather, warm loaded brush

47.4%
  5. Face lather, cold loaded brush

8.8%
  6. Shave stick, warm water

8.8%
  7. Shave stick, cold water

3.5%
  8. Aerosol Foam

1.8%
  9. Lather is for the weak, I dry shave.

1.8%
  10. I am just here for the cookies

3.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Gramps will be very busy today. ;)

2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

well, this is embarrassing-I might lose out to the cookies

3. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Nice pic...once agin private. You're ready for the SOTD thread...:happy088:

wmbjr, Norcalnewb, Bill_F and 5 others like this.
  4. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Clint, good to see the MW Lavender in the mix today. When I use a stick, I also prime the brush for a bit too on some left over soap in a tub just so when I start face lathering, the brush starts out with soap on it as well as the face. Wondering if you've ever tried that.

5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Adam I hope you're OK. I have early thoughts of CT possibilities.

wmbjr, Norcalnewb, Bill_F and 3 others like this.
  6. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

No I have not tried that yet mainly because I don't have any left over soap. I did bloom the soap stick and use that water to hydrate my face and to dip the tip of the brush in.

I really like lavender as a scent and this one is a home run. I bet it would be nice to use the lavender stick along with a MdC loaded on a brush.

7. CyanideMetal

I like the way you think , Sir!!:cool:

8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I think I will indulge myself with this mixture for my Thanksgiving day shave.

9. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

NOVember - NO Variation

November 25

Razor - Feather SS AC Pain Stick
    Blade - [​IMG] (6)
    Brush -BoS Omega 10066
    Soap - Mitchell's Wool Fat
    Post - Cold Water, Alum, Nivea

The day before Thanksgiving. All is cloudy in the Lou but we're supposed to have dry and mild weather until Friday when the rain starts. It's looking normal around here! Down to the last six days of November and another NOVember shave. I'm amazed I've lasted this long on one setup. Have I been bored? As of late, yes a bit, but yesterday was a wake up call with two cuts and a reminder that you can't let skill run on autopilot forever. Another great lather from BoSFat and off to the first pass with the SS. Everything is smooth and comfy, good reductions, angles great, no worries across the right side and neck. Same for the left though I now notice a small red spot on my right jawline. Looks like I opened up the cut from yesterday just a bit. Did XTG with a light touch across that area as well as going easy on my neck from yesterday and finished two passes without incident. It's a decent DFS so I'm calling it good. Alum is nice and quiet except for the one spot so I apparently did everything right. Can't complain at all.

Off to take a test, apparently to see how much I know about drugs? I know it involves a cup. I didn't study so wish me well! Then out to the streets for most of the day before coming home to enjoy tomorrow off with a big turkey and all the fixings in the company of SWMBO! Have a great day!

wmbjr, Keithmax, Norcalnewb and 6 others like this.
  10. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Is that a correlation to never shave naked with a straight?

11. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

SOTD 11/25/15
    Razor- Union Cutlery Spike (near) Wedge 11/16
    Strop- Drygulch American Bridle Leather and Polypropylene
    Brush- Ever-Ready 100T w/ TGN 22mm Synthetic
    Soap- Sterling Glacial Spearmint
    Post Shave- Cold Water Rinse, Alum, Thayer’s Alcohol Free Witch Hazel
    Aftershave- Osage Rub
    IMG_2605.JPG
    Decided to up the menthol game today. In retrospect, it may have been a bad move.

Still struggling with getting a really thick lather from the Sterling, but it is very slick even if it disappears on me. The first pass, I could feel a little menthol, but didn’t think it was enough to call a soap Glacial. Did my normal N/S pass, no issues. Second pass was like painting my face with an ice cube. Eyes watering cold. Did my normal S/N pass, with a little XTG on the chin, no issues. Soap was slick and razor had been well stropped and was very smooth. Relathered for a touch up pass on my neck and jawline. Was focusing on trying to use a scything cut along the strip of hair that runs from my Adam’s apple to my ear. Scythed right on through the skin at my jaw on the right side. Deep. 97 shaves with a straight, and 28 with a pain stick, worst cut I have ever had. I put the razor down and jumped around a bit while muttering under my breath. Finished the left side of the face, as the blood was getting to my collar bone. Cold water and pressure. Still bleeding. Decided to just finish the shave. What’s the worst that could happen, right?

Alum was barely noticeable due to the menthol from the soap, except the spot on my jaw. Burned like crazy without the benefit of slowing the blood down at all. Grabbed the styptic pencil. Didn’t do anything at first, so I used the point to apply pressure. At this point my wife is wondering why I have been in the bathroom so long. Open the door, and tell her I have a cut. I grab the Osage Rub and slap it on my face. Compared to the soap, didn’t really notice the menthol, but it burned on my jaw. Totally focused on trying to get the blood stopped. Had an itch. Scratched it. Went back to my jaw. My wife put a butterfly on my face to help stop the bleeding.

At this point my face was hurting a little, but I noticed a bit of a burn elsewhere. When I scratched the boys, I still had Osage Rub on my hand. Let’s just say some skin is more sensitive than other. 45 minutes later the burn finally died. I have a ¾ inch long cut on my face that my wife said probably should have had stiches. The burn kept me distracted from that, but three people at work have asked me about the cut already. Good reminder that no matter how comfortable we are with our set ups, we still need to pay attention while shaving.

Also, rinse the menthol off your hands as soon as you are done.

12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

You did have a rough shave. This story is custom title material for sure.

Rufus T., wmbjr, Norcalnewb and 3 others like this.
  13. CyanideMetal

I have "the mixture" on hand as well. Please let us know how it goes.

14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Have fun with kids!! Take vitamin C!!

15. Bama Samurai

:happy097:

I did a similar thing once while processing chiles into hot sauce. Never again.

Norcalnewb, Bill_F, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  16. Bama Samurai

The fire down below?

Keithmax, Norcalnewb, Bill_F and 3 others like this.
  17. Bama Samurai

SOTD 25 November 2015

No shave today! Laziness rules...however...

Happy Thanksgiving to all who gather here!

May you be blessed with joy and good company.

Have a terrific Wednesday evening!
    :)

wmbjr, Keithmax, Norcalnewb and 5 others like this.
  18. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

The box Tour box came to me today so I'm going to spend the next week or so attempting to try everything in it within the week. I'm starting tonight.

19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

:happy097: That's it. The Queen needs to check on this thread for sure.

20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

So why bother? Too many other soaps out there to bother with one so problematic. This is the main reason I've move all the Sterlings out of the rotation.
    I've solved the MWF issues, but the Sterlings remained stubbornly ineffective as a good lather-making soap.

Ouch…..:eek::scared011:
    Congratulations, Adam. I think you've earned "Worst Shave of the Year" for 2015.

wmbjr, Keithmax, Norcalnewb and 5 others like this.