Now being sold on eBay..

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Misphit, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

by someone, not me... Just.... WOW

upload_2014-12-31_14-42-11.png

upload_2014-12-31_14-47-21.png

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The brass Star razor, if I'm not mistaken. Unsightly as it is, that repair would actually work. I just hope he's not asking much for it.

4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Obviously a custom modification done to fetch a higher price! :happy093:

5. Mr. Droid

Mr. Droid Well-Known Member

Whoever owned that was either cheap, broke, or totally in love with that razor. Or all three. It is a sort of cool artifact of a different time. The pre-disposable America.

6. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

MAde me cringe when I saw it. It is under ten bucks not including overseas shipping....

battle.munky and GDCarrington like this.
  7. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

You forgot drunk. I could have been, I mean, he may have been drunk when he made that.

8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

There is something about making things last and not immediately throwing them out that I really love and admire.
    If this was done to extend the life of the razor I think it's quite beautiful in a way.

S.Garcia, DaveL, youngunn and 5 others like this.
  9. Dr John

Dr John Member

Looks like something my Dad would do. Actually, a practical solution.

10. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Wonders which of you will send it to razor plate.com to preserve it's uniqueness.

Spit_Fire, youngunn, fimpster and 4 others like this.
  11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Well, I wouldn't actually buy it/use it but I can see the 'beauty' in someone keeping his gear working through a bit of DIY instead of tossing it away and running out and buying something new. It's something I wish we saw more of today. (Says the guy with 32 razors....)

12. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

There would probably be an extra charge to plate the screw.

13. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

We call that redneck engineering and it is a medal sport. This razor would probably score a 9.43 with the French judge and over 9.6 for the rest. altogether an outstanding performance.

14. schuckter

schuckter Member

Nice fit! This razor IS good for at least one thing, starting a conversation.

15. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

it kind of embarasses me that I'm not totally shocked at seeing this.
    actually doing the,"custom work", seems ok. trying to sell it to someone else, now that's cheeky.

16. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Should have used a counter sunk screw! Another possibility, since duct tape wouldn't work in this case, was to "weld" a new center screw on the cap with "Liquid Steel".

17. Mr. Droid

Mr. Droid Well-Known Member

I Wouldn't buy it, but if I got it in a mixed lot, I would be happy. I think it's cool. The razor is post-war, '49/50ish I think? I don't know when it was repaired, but judging from the way the plating wear corresponds to the screw, it was used like this for quite a while. Now, I love my beautiful vintage razors. It absolutely boggles my mind that somebody at some distant time got a nice new razor, used it once or twice, and then carefully put it away... just so someday I could buy it, use it a couple times and carefully put it away. But this is totally different. This razor was so necessary, that when it somehow broke, the owner rigged up a 'shortest path' repair, and got right back to using it every day. That somehow impresses me. How many of us would do that to keep your favorite razor's heart beating? I would like to think I would, but I know I wouldn't.

18. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Well, considering it is in Portugal, that just may be.

GDCarrington likes this.
  19. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I love that razor! It's a true Frankenrazor if ever I saw one, and I mean Frankenstein's monster would definitely shave with it!

GDCarrington, Misphit and Darkbulb like this.
  20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Not for me! Standard slot-head screws are so yesterday!
    I'm more of a Torx or Robertson head guy.
    If the razor had either one of those, I'd be bidding………..

:D

DeanoG, Shaver X, Spit_Fire and 6 others like this.