Oc Help please.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BigMark, May 11, 2014.

1. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I guess the reason an OC makes sense is because a SB will slide over the hairs where as an OC will comb through the hairs.

GDCarrington likes this.
  2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Correct and Open Combs and Closed Combs (SEs mainly) were the mainstay until the 1940s when the Guard Bar was introduced. The Guard Bar developed a more mild shave but was really adapted more for cost savings over OCs and CCs. It is easier to make the bar than combs in the manufacturing process.

Bristle Me and BigMark like this.
  3. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

AMEN BROTHER! But DE shaving on a bad day still wins over cartridge shaving on a good day

Bristle Me and PatrickA51 like this.
  4. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

I have had some really good shaves O.C. new handle razors but ended up giving them to family members turns out they are to scared to shave with them...oh well

5. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Dude so happy you said this at least I have somebody I can relate my shaving technique a.d the irritation my neck develops.
    Take care.

6. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

You just answered your own question, no one knows any better than you what works for you.

7. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

:signs011:

8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I have had little or no shaving irritation in a very,very long time. Don't underestimate the power of solid prep and proper technique!***
    I use straight razors and very aggressive DE razors. I tend not to chase BBS shaves and am quite content with DFS most mornings.
    Unless I'm obsessively rubbing my face in all directions throughout the course of the day (which I do not), I probably couldn't tell you if I had a BBS or DFS shave hours earlier....;)

*** I am fortunate in that I have very light beard growth— no coarse barbed-wire on this mug—so my recommendations for what works for my shaving successes may not be applicable to your particular situation.

Tdmsu and Bristle Me like this.
  9. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I only use Open Comb razors when I have to shave off a week's worth of stubble. I have medium beard growth, not too coarse and not too fine.

I don't chase BBS either, I just go with the flow and it either happens or it doesn't. If I can pass a military inspection, then the shave is good enough.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
    Bristle Me, BigMark and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  10. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Absolutely.
    I don't know how many different blades you've tried in your tech,
    but if you've not tried at least 10, you've not tried enough.

I get regular BBS shaves with a Merkur 15C OC, an old Super Speed,
    a Merkur 30C, and a Fatip Piccolo.
    But each requires a different blade.

Your tech can do the same.
    If the tech feels good to you, stick with it.
    Try different blades.

Good Prep.
    Wash face.
    No hot water.
    Be gentle with wash cloth and towel. Don't scrub.
    Apply lather for at least 1 full minute.
    Force yourself to slow down. Especially on your neck.
    If you can't go S-N, try SE - NW.
    Don't press.
    Don't forget the Witch Hazel. (or other balm)

Tdmsu likes this.
  11. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

As others have said, I don't chase BBS. If it happens, cool. But for me it's the process of shaving. The results are secondary, because I know it'll be a fine shave regardless of the moniker that might be used to describe it.
    I'm not in competition with anyone. There's no judge or ref in my bathroom. Just me, my razors and my software. You can get caught up in all the minutia on the shave forums. If that works for you, go for it. But I find that chasing BBS leaves me with irritation, and takes the joy out of shaving because more times than not my shave doesn't measure up to an unrealistic ideal I've set for myself. My face is not a baby's butt. Never has been, never will be. It's a 50 year old man's face, with everything that accompanies that.

HoosierTrooper likes this.
  12. BigMark

I hate to be rude but this post is useless for me now. I have decided CCS is good enough. I go for CCS and nothing more.

13. BigMark

Witch hazel seems to don nothing but dry out my skin, since it contains alcohol, but that might be because of to many passes. I try to shave with tepid water as well. The Tech is just not close enough though so I am sticking to my Slim for the most part, and my Weber every now and then.