Ocd about stray hairs on brushes

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by samuellinn, Jan 5, 2017.

1. samuellinn

samuellinn Member

I know it sounds crazy but i love getting a new brush and seeing all the hairs going in the perfect direction and its a perfect knot then 10 shaves later i have stray bristles on the base is there a way to prevent it a way to fix it ? Or do i just have to live with it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimjo1031 likes this.
  2. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Shake it mostly dry, then slip it into a toilet paper tube. Keeps all the bristles nice and straight.

3. samuellinn

samuellinn Member

hhmmm good idea do u think this will work to train the hairs back straight on an older brush ?

4. cmorris357

It should. Can't hurt to try.

5. samuellinn

samuellinn Member

Alright ill give it a try thanks

cmorris357 likes this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

I recall someone else having this issue. Might have been @PickledNorthern ? Maybe he's conquered the problem and will drop in to orate.
    wild hair.jpg

Demidog and twhite like this.
  7. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

It wasn't me. Or if it was, it isn't anymore. I kind of like it when a brush goes a little gnarly. It is part of its character.

RyX likes this.
  8. Thalasos

Thalasos Active Member

Rounded rubber band can't hurt them either. Difficult to find here in Spain.

This is the way I keep some of my brushes, as have been suggested to you by someone (can see the nick now) above.

That's a Frank Shaving finest badger, 24mm, and you can see that is perfect.

[​IMG]

Semogue 830, same system.

[​IMG]

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk

RyX likes this.
  9. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

A bit off topic maybe, but I have befriended someone who really has an OCD some time ago. I think we should not use the term lightly.

Of course I cannot know from this side of the keyboard whether you actually have to cope with an OCD or not. If you do, then I wish you all the strength that you can use!

Rusty blade and RyX like this.
  10. samuellinn

samuellinn Member

I tried it last night with the paper tube it worked great thank for the advice I'm going to start using that in my shaving routine i might go get sum pvc pipe cut it to length so it will be water resistant and ridged thanks for the advice guys

RyX likes this.
  11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

My concern about putting a damp brush into a tube is that not allowing the air to circulate through and thoroughly dry the brush might allow for mold and/or mildew to get a hold.

RyX likes this.
  12. samuellinn

samuellinn Member

Very true ill either let it dry completely or maybe use a women's hair tie

13. cmorris357

I should have stated earlier that I don't store the brush in the tube. I shake it mostly dry, put it in the tube for a couple of hours or so until the bristles are trained to stand upright. Then take it out and let it thoroughly air dry. I use the cardboard tubes rather than something rigid because the cardboard pulls some of the remaining surface moisture out. Never had one mildew, and I live in the humid south.

wristwatchb, RyX and swarden43 like this.
  14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Good added info.

cmorris357 likes this.
  15. samuellinn

samuellinn Member

I used the hair tie method it condensed the knot a bit so its not as bushy but it looks great [​IMG]

RyX and mrchick like this.
  16. Thalasos

Thalasos Active Member

I have three or four brushes within the paper tube and they are perfect. No trouble at all. My Simpsons is within the cardboard packaging, my El Druida rests that way as well.

Enviado desde mi SM-T700 mediante Tapatalk

17. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

The problem is that there is no problem. Relax, once they are dry you can groom it back into place .

Col C likes this.
  18. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Hippies

samuellinn, Col C, Redfisher and 2 others like this.
  19. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Every couple of days I mist them down with patchouli infused water.

20. RyX

RyX DoH!

My favorite is a brush that last had Arko lather. I may try the patchouli water.

PickledNorthern likes this.