Oct 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Sep 30, 2017.

?

What is your plan for OCtober?

1. Shave with one or more really cool DE OC razors.

13 vote(s)
    41.9%
  2. Shave with one or more really cool SE OC razors.

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  3. Shave with one or more DE and SE OC razors.

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  4. Durham Duplex counts, right?

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. All straight, all the time.

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
  6. To find the freaking cookies I keep hearing so much about.

14 vote(s)
    45.2%
  7. I'm just waiting until Halloween. I need candy!

12 vote(s)
    38.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Beautiful Old Types, Gentlemen.

2. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Thank you. I'm surprised how much I like the reserve spice. I should have tried before my last trip back to the states, i3as in NY and could have avoided the shipping.

3. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

I thought the shave was a little rougher but I don't know if it was the blade or me.

4. jtspartan

Magnificent scales on that razor, Brian. Are those some sort of shell, or are they synthetic?

5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Andrew. I love OCtober. I have been on a run with SE razors so it is very nice to get back to my OC razors.

Thank you. The Flat Top is a cool brush and really made for face lathering.

6. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thanks. They appear to be synthetic. I’ll take a closer look tonight.

7. jtspartan

Cool photo effect, Neal.
    Another stunner, Clint.
    Nice photo, Perry!
    Nice photo. Is that Feather blade different from the standard yellow or black packaged ones?

8. jtspartan

Thank you, Gents.

9. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

They are definitely close, but to me it seems the Brisk has just a bit more menthol kick to it. It is also cheaper (although, Skin Bracer certainly isn't expensive).

10. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Jason!

11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jason.

12. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

I take it you are referring to the DE blades by Feather, than yes they are. These are single edge blade w/ a name cut out of the middle of the blade. That's why they can be used with Valet razors.

13. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

SOTN OCtober 1st
    20170930_161138s.jpg

Cooper MonoBilt
    Tian Li Super Blue Blade (1)
    30DCLE
    Razorock XXX
    Skin Bracer in vintage Avon Knight decanter

This month my focus (length determined on blade performance) will be on comparing two blades made my TianLi, a Chineese manufacturer. Both of them can be had for about $4-$5 per hundred. Jeff @jmudrick raves about the performance of the Super Stainless blade in the darker blue package. So I decided to get some of them and see what all the fuss was about. Originally I thought I ordered 1oo of each but when they were delivered both orders contained the Super Blue Blades (BTW if anyone wants to be brave and try some of these I would be happy to send some along). Luckily Jeff was kind enough to send me a handful of the Super Stainless blades so that this trial could commence. My plan is to use the same setup consecutively once each with each blade and record my observations.

My first shave with the Super Blue Blade in the Cooper MonoBilt, one of my absolute favorite razors to shave with. The start of the shave the blade felt a bit tuggy on the WTG pass but seemed fine on the next two passes. I finished with a shave that was very close to BBS so maybe the tuggyness was due poor prep or maybe the three days worth of growth that I was trying to remove. No sting was felt on the application of the aftershave no irritation was experienced. Hopefully the next shave on this blade will shed some light on tuggyness I was feeling. Normally on a weekday shave I only have one and a half to two days growth to work with.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. RyX

RyX DoH!

I visited three Family Dollar stores, then a number of Dollar Generals before I located the Brisk. Wasn't until i fulfilled my Quest to get Brisk that I heard Pacific Rush is discontinued. Now I can't find that one anywhere! I do like both scents, and for the price they perform well. May have to get the Skin Bracer so I can compare. :happy088:

Thank you kind Sirs.

I acquired mine in a trade at an antique shop. It was part of a lot of three razors. The plating on the bottom of the base is damaged by a previous owner cleaning it with an ice pick or similar pointy tool. Top of the cap is showing brass through the lost nickel. Since the handle looks decent in raw brass I may work on stripping the rest of the plating away.

This may have been the first time I've use it. When I received it I was more interested in the New Long Comb with a bar handle. Who wants to shave with and Old when they have a New?

15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I'm comforted that the Super Blue you found shave worthy. I still haven't used one but will give one a shot tomorrow.

No, wait I did try one but didn't give it a full shave (tuggy). I'll do that.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  16. jtspartan

That Monobilt looks to be in great shape, Andrew. Cool decanter as well!

17. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I may can score you a bottle of Pacific Rush.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

FaceScraper, Drygulch, RyX and 4 others like this.
  18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great photo Andrew. The MonoBilt looks fantastic.

19. Linuxguile

Thanks Jason! This Monobilt is the pride of my collection and is nearly flawless. I got it from Alan @Morman Bridge over a year and a half ago and it is still to this day one of my favorite razors.

20. Linuxguile

Thank you, Clint!