Old Blue (pre 1949 at least I think )

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Mouser, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

I recently found an old Gillette blade case with three of these in it........and an old Thin in just it's wax paper. I'm wondering if I should try one or keep them all as just something to decorate my den.[​IMG]

Monkeylord likes this.
  2. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

Sorry the pic turned out so large. And they're really a lot cleaner than the one's pictured.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'd try one, display the rest.

4. KcHighLife

KcHighLife Well-Known Member

I have Krumholz's Guide to American Razor Blades that should date the exact year. I'll dig it out soon and see what he has to say.

Weeper Warrior likes this.
  5. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

Aren't those blades dated like the razors? F3 in the second picture meaning it was made in 1935 because it does not have a dispenser?

6. KcHighLife

According to the reference book I was talking about, you are correct...1935.
    "1930 was termed Year A and every year thereafter was consecutively lettered."

Weeper Warrior likes this.
  7. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

You know, I just noticed, these old blades are quite a bit narrower than todays blades. My current blades don't fit in the vintage case.

8. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

So long as they're not visibly rusted or overly pitted, I'd give them a go after some water glass stropping. Just don't expect the shave to be as comfortable as a modern stainless coated blade. The rest, I'd display.

9. KcHighLife

I can tell you that I have had both good and not so good experiences using vintage blades. If you want my 2 cents, I say put them aside for decoration. You never know how they've been stored etc for 80 plus years. An area with higher humidity would cause damage without ever opening the blades.

10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I would inspect the edges with a jeweler's loupe first. There may be rust on the edge that is not visible to the naked eye. That shave was memorably bad. Learn from my mistakes.

KcHighLife likes this.
  11. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

Decorative they shall be, especially now that I have some Personna 74s coming. ;)