Old Ever Ready ID

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by JoeMal, Jan 3, 2011.

1. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

Can anyone tell me anything about this razor? I was out at an antique place today and ran across this. Comes in the case...I think they were asking $40? Seems like a lot for this type of razor but then again...maybe not...

[​IMG]

2. CSL

CSL Member

I was just watching one of those on ebay.
    I think it went for about $20.

Nice looking razor & the condition looks good. I'd say if you like it, buy it.

3. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Looks like the Ever-Ready 1914 model. It opens by pulling up on the sides of the lid. I find that slightly more awkward than the 1912 models, which open with a single thumb tab on the back. Similar shave, though.

I have a cased one that cost me $19.50 shipped from Country Joe's Collectibles. The case in the picture looks nicer than mine, though, and I don't have the blade box. So I don't know about the price, I really don't. If you just want one to shave with, they aren't hard to find for much less than this.

4. CSL

CSL Member

The antique store would probably come down some, on the price.

Those folks are accustomed to haggling.

5. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Slivovitz has the model right, and IMHO I wouldn't go beyond $25.00.

6. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Just an FYI.. that particular set was made around 1927 according to the Krumholz guide. And has been mentioned, it's the "1914" model. The "1912" models are definitely the best. I wouldn't pay $40 for it. $20 tops and that's if I wanted it really bad.

7. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

Thanks folks...I ended up passing on the razor. The most they would come down is 10%

8. mycarver

mycarver New Member

I'm late on this considering you passed on it. At $40 it was a good move. I have a couple, in nice shape, paid the most at 15.I got them only for the "novelty" of them as I am looking for a broad selection of razors that have been avialable over time.

9. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

If you ever want to get rid of that Fold-a-brush set... ;)

10. mycarver

mycarver New Member

Hey, I am the Jody,
    That Fold -a Brush is one of my favorites. It made me chuckle when I saw it listed in a collector book as having little value. Maybe they're right, but there is something about that set that I think is just too cool. I don't see many of them around. I appreciate the thought, but no, I don't plan on selling it.