OLD Soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by DanOK, Sep 1, 2008.

1. DanOK

DanOK Member

I was fortunate to find two very old soaps this weekend. Both in the 30 years plus range. One was a Old Spice mug with the red plastic cover and a never used puck of Old Spice soap and the other a Barbaershop box with a unused puck of the regular scent. Of the two the Old Spice has a strong fragrance, but nether appear to have any shrinkage or any other outward problem due to their age. So on to the questions.

Has anyone had any problems using soaps with such age on them?
    Would you keep them as collectors or use them in your rotation?

Just for reference I paid $5 for the Old Spice and $2.50 for the Barbershop.

Attached Files:

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Use them.

And lots of guys buy old vintage shaving soap and use them. I've never heard of any problems.

Great finds, btw!

3. freemartin

freemartin Afficianado of "cans"

Great buys.

From the prices you paid, you could probably get a 2 or 3 times profit on them on the Old Spice set on ebay right now, But I don't think the market is going to swing much more than that in the forseeable future to justify these as collector pieces.

I'd say use them, at least once, and decide if either or both belong in the rotation. If not, wrap em back up and use them as display pieces.

4. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I've got a similar Old Spice mug at home and the lather is still great - so use them!

5. DanOK

DanOK Member

Thanks, I am looking forward to seeing how well they perform.

6. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

I agree with JoAnna. Use them!

7. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

+1.. I have several old soaps.. I enjoy using them on a regular basis.. No worries - shave away!