Old Spice Collectibles

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by gregkw1, May 30, 2016.

1. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

ObiDon, Jostalli and 178-bplatoon like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

3. gregkw1

Every mug deserves a lid

Carbide Mike likes this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

You don't see a lot of lids out there. They seem to break pretty easily. A custom wooden one, painted red would look nice. Kind of like a minnie Yardley lid.

5. gregkw1

I'm going to check out those knockout lids.

6. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

I will take a look, do you like a red insert lid style, ( the kind that always cracked.) I have a lot of tubing caps that might work from ordering metal and I can try on my mugs. Colors might not be red

7. gregkw1

I can always paint them. Just ordered some bearded Jack's unscented soap that I'm going to melt and pour some Old Spice cologne into it.. I put some Sterling in the Old Spice mug and the mug is just not getting along with the soap it refuses to lather

8. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

How many lids you need. I purchase metal ( Inconel and Hastelloy ) and they always have. Heavy duty lids to seal up the cardboard tubes. Might have some push in ones If they fit my mugs, your welcome to them. Carbide Mike.

9. gregkw1

I have 2 regular mugs and one cobalt blue that is a bigger size.

10. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

There nice. I believe I have all the ships, but not a blue one. The little edges in the bottom help make lather easy

Robyflexx likes this.
  11. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

I too wish that the classic/vintage mug lids were ideal at sealing the OS mugs, but in my research, it seems they are not. So, I had to go my own way. Greg and I already had a short conversation on this topic in my other thread.

I always welcome new ideas on how to construct or rig a lid for these old spice cups. I currently still need to find a solution for the older 50's mugs. Right now I only found a good option for the 60's Grand Turk mug, which is detailed in my Old Spice shave kit Part 1 thread. I'm still trying to figure out lid options for the older mug that is 2.75-inches in diameter.

12. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

It's easy. Pipe caps. They are usually blue or red plastic, and have a taper to them. They come a lot when I order metal and fit pretty good if you are trying to save soap from losing its smell. I push the smaller end in & seals nicely. You won't win any awards for the best look, but I get red ones that seal cardboard shipping tubes and they fit more like a normal lid. I will save some for you guys. I get shipments of titanium every day

RyX, Tim Spencer and Robyflexx like this.
  13. Tim Spencer

Although I'm kind of picky on how things look, if it's red, then it will likely fit the Old Spice theme and if a knock out cap can look good on my 60's cup, then it's a possibility that your red metal cap can look good with the 50's cup. It can't hurt to try. It would be awesome if someone had craft skills and could make a killer red Old Spice lid for these cups (or a black or white one for the Blue 80's shave cup).

I would make them if I had the talent.

14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thank you for the link to OS collectables @gregkw1 .
    I found what I now know is an Admiral's Flask. There is no label, but inked on the bottom "0866" or I'm reading it upside down "9980". The Admiral's Flask was sold from 1986 to 1991 so this may be a batch number. Doesn't matter to me as I confirmed it's Old Spice gear and now know approximately 25-30 years old.
    OS Flask.gif
    I don't have any old OldSpice, but I cleaned the bottle in & out and poured my new aftershave in.

Tim Spencer likes this.
  15. gregkw1

Well I made this and so far so good[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

16. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Very nice! The Old Spice Cobalt Blue is my favorite mug, but I don't keep any soap in any of my OS mugs.

17. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

18. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

just had a look....impressive stuff!!!

19. Tim Spencer

Holy crap Greg! I was just looking at a Cobalt Blue OS mug on Ebay. How did you make that lid? Can you dupe? Badass!

Robyflexx likes this.
  20. gregkw1

I found a drapery tieback holder that I butchered and the underside cup was a plastic insert from a razorock soap container. I spray painted the tieback holder and glued the cup to it and walah. Mug cover.