Old spice DE razor?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ocharlas, Jan 5, 2011.

1. ocharlas

ocharlas Well-Known Member

So I think there's a good amount of people who can relate to the following sentiment: "I love Old Spice."

And not just the scent...just old spice in general. So I was super pumped when I saw these:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Are they for real? Or just cheap razors someone threw the OS name on...The gold one looks fresh but at 45g it seems too light to be anything but plastic. The top one supposedly weighs in at 66g which seems more substantial. Only problem is that the only place I can find these things is from one ebay seller in India (namaste...yes I read the warning thread) and haven't been able to pin down any information on the actual product. At $13 it wouldn't exactly break the bank, but I just thought I'd ask and see if anyone had any insight.
    Thanks

2. greenhorn

greenhorn New Member

I have never seen one but my guess would be it is a rebranded Treet razor or something similar. Shoebox Shaving carries a few types of plastic razors to compare them to. Treet razors are made in Pakistan.

3. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

Is it my imagination or is it an optical illusion that the gap on the gold razor looks to be tremendous? Holy smokes, may as well use a str8.

4. dashmaverick

dashmaverick Member

Funny that this thread should pop-up, I just ordered one of these razors from namaste.world (the top photo). I'll keep you posted when it arrives and how it shaves.

Also, I've had nothing but good experiences with this ebay seller, granted I'm more of a use and less a collector.

5. seems to be good from the photos, we need to see in practice ...

6. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

As I understand it, these are being made illegally.. Procter & Gamble doesn't make them and hasn't licensed the use of the Old Spice name to be used for them. Kind of funny too they use the French word for razor, rasoir. Back in the 40s and 50s, Shulton (original owner of Old Spice brand) did put out DE blades and a DE razor but the blades were made by another company for Shulton and I'd assume the razor was too.

In terms of shave, you might be better off with these:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. paydepst

paydepst Member

Interesting and yes the gap on the gold one is SCAWEY!!

8. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

The gap on the top one looks to be about the same. Look at the part where the razor meets the table and see where the head ends. The safety bar is quite a bit further.