old straight safety razor find

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gemmicro, Sep 28, 2014.

1. gemmicro

gemmicro Active Member

Just found this interesting straight razor. I figured someone would find this interesting as I have. All I know is that its a straight razor that has some sort of guard to keep from cutting your face and that it was made by Deputy. Can anyone else offer info? I don't believe the blade comes out, but it is a hallow ground blade. Were these viewed as a disposable razor? I also find it kind of strange it's in such great condition.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

Very nice. Enjoy

3. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

That is a shavette my friend. It's uses DE blades cut in half

4. gemmicro

gemmicro Active Member

I have a parker srw so this is no modern shavette. It has an actual hollow ground blade attached to it. That's what makes it odd. It say pat. 1900.

5. Dapper-in-a-can-man

That's insane!

6. gemmicro

gemmicro Active Member

7. gemmicro

gemmicro Active Member

I thought it was a hair sharper also, and almost didn't buy it. I just grabbed it for the hell of it. In the patent info it deff says it was for shaving.

8. Dapper-in-a-can-man

That's intriguing. Have you used it/

9. gemmicro

gemmicro Active Member

I think so too. I have not used it, nor do I plan on it. I just bought it because it was interesting and in great condition.

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Interesting…..

I see that blade guard and all I can think of are those corrugated metal roofs….;)
    [​IMG]

maltedmilk likes this.
  11. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    Yeah... that's some verified fine shaving roof material, right there! :rofl:

Reminds me of (anyone else know this one?):
    In days of old when knights were bold
    and paper wasn't invented,
    we wiped our bums with broken glass
    and walked away contented.

Yeppers... that one takes me way back. Not back to the broken glass days, but way back.

12. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    Ahh... g'wan. Use it! I double dog dare ya!

[​IMG]

13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The version I know is a bit more off-color…
    "In days of old, when knights were bold
    and condoms weren't invented…
    They wrapped a….(okay, nevermind) :o

maltedmilk likes this.
  14. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Hey...wait a minute...that's not a real building! Who are you trying to fool? LOL.

Model railroader?

15. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

My wife is a hairdresser and uses a shavette like that, with the guard on people's hair. She gets replacement blades at the beauty supply store. Don't know if they're "shave worthy".

16. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  17. gemmicro

gemmicro Active Member

lol I'm not afraid to use it. The razor use seems to be one of a kind and in like perfect condition.
    @herm- You are referring to a hair sharper, which is what I believed this to be as well. If you read the patent info I posted, it talks about this as a safety shaving razor.

Anyway, it seems to be like the first and last safety razor shavette hybrid. The investor also had a few other patents relative to the shaving industry.
    That roofing blade guard (lol) switches sides to do each side of your face. Prob a real pia to shave with. I'll have to take a picture of the actual blade so you all can see that its a hollow ground blade and not a throwaway.

18. gemmicro

gemmicro Active Member

19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

That is unique! :happy088:

From the pictures though, i can't help but shake the feeling I'd be shaving with corrugated roof flashing! ;)
    [​IMG]

maltedmilk likes this.