One pass shave

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Straight Arrow, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

I am gradually becoming a one-pass shaver. With good preparation, attention to blade angle, and short overlapping strokes, I am starting to really like the resulting shave. Is it close? Well forget about BBS. But it's close enough and boy is it comfortable. I never get razor burn and rarely a nick. And the big payoff is that next morning there is plenty of stubble just cryin' out to be shaved all over again. My Dad always did one-pass and he always looked great. Any other one-passers out there?

2. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Hmmm...one pass with a straight razor and I could shave three times a day! Now there's an idea!!

3. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Not a 1 pass shaver.....yet

But I am down to 2 passes w/ a TouchUp thrown in.
    I look forward to the day when my technique is solid enough
    for a good 1 pass shave.

4. johnniegold

johnniegold New Member

1 pass? I never want to be THAT good. There goes 2/3 of the fun right down the drain. ;)

srpavko likes this.
  5. I've been trying to perfect my technique on the zero pass shave, but the results have been less than satisfactory.

6. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

I think "Nair" could get you there ;)
    Nah.
    It'd still take 1 pass to wipe the junk off.

7. herzi

herzi Active Member

I also don't want a single pass shave. I think the procedure Rich ment with good preparation takes a longer time than a second pass. And shaving relathering und shaving again is more fun for me as waiting during preparation.

8. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Doesn't that hurt when you run through the bonfire? :D

9. Baron

Baron New Member

I routinely do one pass during the week. My mornings have just gotten too busy to spend a lot of time shaving.

It's also a little rough on my face to do BBS everyday, as the next morning, while I do have stubble, it's usually about 2 hours from being long enough that it can be comfortably cut.

So, the one pass, not-quite-but-close-to-BBS shave works best for me :D

10. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

one pass.

I have been a one pass shaver for about 16 years. Didnt know better and didnt care about shaving hated it so I would always come out looking almost BBS with the Mach 3 I didnt know better it was always Goo from a can.. and then shave done ready go finished under 5 minutes. no aftershave no moisturisers afterwards I mean that costs $$$. no EDT ever. boring ..Boring !

I know better now.

11. jramire2

jramire2 Member

:eek: Do you have any idea how long it would take me to get through all the shaving stuff I accumulated if I cut down to a one pass shave every time?

I do 2-3 passes with an injector and I get no irritation and my skin feels great. However, if I do this every 24 hours I do start getting ingrowns and irriation showing up. So the best for me is to shave like this, but every 36 hours. And when I shave w/a brand new blade in my injector, my TTS (time to stubble) is pushing 24 hours. So for the last 12 hours or so I can feel stubble, but you can hardly see it (and I have dark hair).

12. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I do two passes then pass it to the right....oh wait that's the wrong kind of pass...oh shaving...right. Two passes with a touch up.

Raf

FacialCarnage likes this.
  13. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Ditto! Two passes with a touch up! See-
    [vbpg]250[/vbpg] (Trying to get a lot of milage out of this picture, Sorry! :D)

14. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Only ever have a 1 pass shave if I need to tidy up a little for an evening appointment. I usually have a 3 pass shave in the morning.....and I only stop at 3 'cause after three.....there's nothing left to shave!

15. mparker762

mparker762 New Member

A "good-enough" 1-pass shave is worth having in your arsenal. I use a straight, and for a 1-pass shave I make a slightly wetter lather. Then during the shave I make a stroke with the grain, then immediately shave the same area across the grain letting the residual slickness protect my skin. This is described in the old barber textbooks as a "once-over shave", and was recommended for customers who needed a fast shave that was nearly as fast as a 1-pass shave, and nearly as close as the full 2-pass shave.

As an aside - I've never seen a barber textbook describe a 3-pass shave. The basic variants seem to be:

1) 1-pass shave, using lather. For very light beards and sensitive skin.

2) Once-over shave as described above.

3) Standard shave involving 2 passes, using lather for the 1st WTG pass and water for the second XTG pass.

4) 2-pass shave as before, but with the second pass going against the grain. The books all say this should not be done because it is bad for the skin and promotes infection, but indicate that some customers will demand it so the barber should be prepared to deliver. I suspect that most of the cautions were due to the use of a common razor for all customers.

16. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

I've yet to achieve an adequate one pass shave with my straight but I have done the once-over on occasion and it is well worth doing, especially if you're short on time as it doesn't take but a minute or so longer per shave.

ATG isn't recommended in the 2 barber manuals I have due to the risk of ingrown hairs. I also find that if I do ATG every day, by the 3rd day or so, I'm getting very tender and sore skin. Seems I need to let my sensitive skin rest 48 hours between ATG shaves.

17. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

every so often, I'll do a 1 pass shave, if I'm forced to, because of a time element. I find that if I try a little harder, it'll come out quite close, but not BBS

18. Will

Will Nevermind

1 pass with a Slant.

The rest is a 2 pass deal.

19. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

I'm gradually becoming a one pass shaver too. I've been conciously stopping after one pass lately and realizing that I'm still getting a DFS (with my Schick E2 Injector). I'm enjoying the comfort and ritual of lathering just as much as the shave, and spend more time on the application of lather. Therefore, I don't feel I'm cheating the luxury! Aces!

20. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

1 pass just doesn't do it for me. At least 3 passes and up to 6. Love the shave!