Open Comb Central - The Place With Real Teeth (No R41, Hybrid or Closed Combs)

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by GDCarrington, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

0033A703-60C2-4D51-B5E1-F219BCAF848B.jpeg

OCtober 24 SOTD:

Stirling Synthetic Brush
    MWF
    1936 Gillette Aristocrat
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Proraso Red AS

jimjo1031, sdguero, Boojum1 and 3 others like this.
  2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Wowzers Jim! What a beautiful 'Crat!

Norcalnewb and clint64 like this.
  3. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Well we are halfway through the second phase for OCtober and today starts the fourth pairing, a Fatip Grande and a Valet AutoStrop.

Fourth from right:
    [​IMG]
    During the first Phase the Fatip Grande was pitted against a Gillette New SC and honestly shaved me even closer and more comfortably than the Gillette New SC; 'twern't even close.

Today's shave was a repetition of the Phase 1 shave, super smooth, super efficient, super comfortable PDG+ near perfect. My Valets usually do a good job but it will need to do a great job tomorrow to stay in the running.

Today started with a wash using Herberia Bay rum for soap, Speick Shaving Cream in the Heather n fern shaving mug. I used the Gibbs boar brush and this is it's third break-in session. After the shave I used the Speick Balsam balm followed by Chatillon Colonia Basalmica aftershave.

[​IMG]
    The Fatip Grande has really impressed me every time I've used it and I have a Fatip Piccolo lined up against an ATT R2 as the final pairing for OCtober. Now that should be very interesting.

jimjo1031, sdguero, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Tuesday's OC Shave
    [​IMG]

Proraso Pre Shave
    Colgate Mug Shaving Soap
    Jayaruh #229
    New Standard
    Gillette Silver Blue
    CWR
    Thayer's Lemon WH
    Pinaud Clubman

I started off with Proraso Pre Shave. The Colgate Mug Shaving Soap face-lathered well with the Jayaruh #229 synthetic brush. I did two passes with the Gillette New Standard Tuckaway razor and Gillette Silver Blue blade and ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, I finished off with Thayer's Lemon WH and then Pinaud Clubman AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

jimjo1031, sdguero, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  5. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

OCtober 24, 2017

Paladin Lapis Chief
    Mike's Natural Soap Babershop
    Wolfman Titanium WR1-OC with Darwin
    Polsilver Super Iridium
    Barrister and Mann Seville
    Brooks Brothers 1818

[​IMG]

jimjo1031, sdguero, Jayaruh and 3 others like this.
  6. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Andrew! Shaves better than it looks!

clint64 and Linuxguile like this.
  7. Norcalnewb

Beautiful picture, Mark!

clint64, Linuxguile and Boojum1 like this.
  8. Boojum1

Thank you Jim! :happy088:

clint64 and Linuxguile like this.
  9. Boojum1

Love the Aristocrat Jim! :eatdrink047:

Norcalnewb, clint64 and Linuxguile like this.
  10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Beautiful photo Mark. The razor is gorgeous but the brush steals the show.

Linuxguile likes this.
  11. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Mark!

clint64 likes this.
  12. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

SOTD 10.24.2017

Face Shave:
    Pre-shave: hot shower
    Shave Cream: Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel size can
    Razor: Schick G1
    Blade: Schick (3)
    Post-shave: Dickinson WH, Nivea Sensitive PS Balm, Pinaud Musk cologne

Head Shave:
    Pre-shave: same
    Shave Cream: CO Bigelow
    Razor: Gem Micromatic OC
    Blade: Gem Blue Star (2nd or 3rd use)
    Post-shave: same

I hope everyone is having a terrific week!
    IMG_1490.JPG

13. Jan Zoethout

Jan Zoethout Well-Known Member

OCtober 2017 - day 25.

[​IMG]

iKon B1 DeLuxe / OSS handle.
    Asco Super Stainless (red wrapper) (5).

Yaqi model R151016-S2.
    Monsavon.
    Arko Men "Platinum".

Monsavon -for sale in almost every French supermarket at a low price.
    Excellent lather and a very acceptable scent (YMMV) ;)

14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Williams Wednesday's OC Shave
    [​IMG]

Proraso Pre Shave
    Williams
    Jayaruh #229
    New Deluxe Tuckaway
    Gillette Silver Blue
    CWR
    Thayer's Lemon WH
    Pinaud Clubman

I started off with Proraso Pre Shave. The Colgate Mug Shaving Soap face-lathered well with the Jayaruh #229 synthetic brush. I did two passes with the Gillette New Deluxe Tuckaway razor and Gillette Silver Blue blade and ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, I finished off with Thayer's Lemon WH and then Pinaud Clubman AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

15. Norcalnewb

2A8F45E3-5EAE-480B-9A02-974663CA6037.jpeg

OCtober 25 SOTD:

Razorock Plissoft Brush
    TSD Lanolin Barber Shoppe
    1936 Gillette Aristocrat
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    TSD Floid Blue Type AS

jimjo1031, Jayaruh, sdguero and 2 others like this.
  16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

OCtober 25, 2017
    Wolfman OC Ti (0.74mm)
    Personna 74 (10)
    Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic
    Reef Point Test Depth
    Folsom & Co Capri

[​IMG]

17. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

1911 OLD Wool Fat Wednesday shave...
    IMG_1522.JPG

jimjo1031, Jayaruh, sdguero and 3 others like this.
  18. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Well today is another bummer experience. We are starting the last three pairings for the month and this set pitted a Fatip Grande against a Valet AutoStrop VC1 using a despined GEM blade.

Yesterday's shave with the Fatip Grande was another fantastic very near perfect shave and I pointed out "Today's shave was a repetition of the Phase 1 shave, super smooth, super efficient, super comfortable PDG+ near perfect. My Valets usually do a good job but it will need to do a great job tomorrow to stay in the running."

Third pair from left:
    [​IMG]

Well it did. In fact the two results are so close together it will be tough to pick a winner.

Today started again with shower using Herberia Bay Rum soap followed by Old Spice lather made using a Vie-Long horsehair brush. Then the shave itself using the Valet AutoStrop and the despined GEM blade. It was a two pass shave then rub face with alum (still tastes bad). I let that dry while I flushed and fluffed the brush then wiped up any water on the sink. With my face dry and the alum making stretching easier I did a few touchup strokes around the always tough to get spots.

After shave was Chatillon Vide Poche aftershave.

[​IMG]

Last it was time to clean up the razor and put it away and finally, that was when I determined the winner.

To fully rinse the blade in the Fatip Grande you have to take it all apart and rinse the parts individually. To rinse the blade in the Valet AutoStrop VC1 you push the lever up, swing the blade and carrier up and run both side of the blade under the faucet. Easie Peasie. WINNER.

But it really was that close. There was literally no difference in the shave comfort, efficiency, speed; nothing. Since there had to be a winner the ease of cleanup with the VC1 is the only real advantage to either.

jimjo1031, Jayaruh, sdguero and 3 others like this.
  19. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

SOTN OCtober 24th
    [​IMG]

Ericsson Open Comb
    Voskhod
    Proraso Red sandalwood SC
    Stirling 24mm Synthetic
    Fine Platinum

20. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

SOTD 10.25.2017

Face Shave:
    Pre-shave: Hot shower
    Shave Cream: Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel size can (#11) http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...m-travel-can-experiment-sensitive-skin.57755/
    Razor: Probak OC
    Blade: Derby Extra (4)
    Post-shave: Dickinson WH, Aqua Velva Sensitive 5 in 1 AS Balm, Aqua Velva Musk AS / Cologne

Head Shave:
    Pre-shave: same
    Shave Soap: VDH Deluxe soap puck
    Brush: VDH boar
    Razor: Pal Injector
    Blade: Schick (2nd or 3rd I think)
    Post-shave: same

In keeping with my experiment on the Barbasol travel size can I again only used it on the face shave so it's not doing double duty on one day, i.e. a face and head shave. Besides, I want to keep some of my other shave products in rotation.

Did yard work this morning. I think this may be the last day I will have to mow the lawn. Although it's supposed to get to a high of 80 degrees Fahrenheit today (26 C), tomorrow the high will be about 40 degrees cooler and there's a slight chance of snow late in the day. Time to get the snow shovels ready!

For the face shave I did my usual 2 passes, and a clean-up pass on the neck area. I am very impressed with this Probak razor.

I took out the Pal injector to handle the head shave and it performed admirably. The only hiccup to an otherwise fine shave today was a cut to the back of my neck. I knew I hit something with the razor, twice. I didn't think too much at first about it but when I re-lathered my scalp for a 2nd pass I saw some blood on the brush. I finished up the shave and had to get some help from the wife because I could not tell what I had done. She said I cut open a blemish and also had a minor cut near it. She gave me some first aid, and made it all better.

Have a great day, everyone!
    IMG_1507.JPG