Opened a bottle of AV

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by ChemErik, Nov 25, 2008.

1. xChris

xChris Member

At least us fans then don't have to worry about re-formulating! :happy102

2. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

How the heck did I miss this one? Ah, the sweet smell of good natured conflict.

"Your torments call us like dogs in the night. And we do feed, and feed well. To stuff ourselves on other people's torments. And butter our plain bread with delicious pain... Funerals, marriages, lost loves, lonely beds " that is our diet. We suck that misery and find it sweet. We can smell the young ulcerating to be men a thousand miles off. And hear a middle-aged fool like yourself groaning with midnight despairs from halfway round the world."

Oh the pain of the young and old AV lover. :D

3. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

+1 on this. The more velva the better. It is unfortunate that some of these barber supply stores don't sell it by the gallon like Clubman.

Paul Turner likes this.
  4. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Wasn't even sure if it was safe to post in here; things got tense there for awhile. <whew>

I'll always have the Velv in rotation for two reasons: it cools the burn on a sloppy shave day and it moisturizes the heck out of my face. It must be loaded w/ glycerin. I look at AV more as medicine than AS. The scent is not as awful to me as others have stated, but true it's nothing to write home about. Plus which it fades within an hour on me. I tend to use it after the night shave or on days off when I'm staying home and don't care what I smell like.

Also the AV Ice Sport is a very nice scent that I enjoy after the gym (reminiscent of polo sport) and AV Musk is ok in the scent and moisturizing categories.

5. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Eagle - I can't try AV due to the harmful fumes, but try some TSD A/S with allantoin. Nothing has worked better for me to heal a bad shave.

6. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Oh, I love this!:happy102 Classic.

7. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Myself and another newb have a bottle of TSD AS w/ allantoin on the way as we speak. Looking forward to trying it out.

Yes, my wife appreciates the humor in this as well. :D

8. Ramaniac

Ramaniac Member

Ice Blue Burn is addictive. I wrote the company and asked about bringing back the old scents, they have not gotten back. I assume they will say will say that it was the old companies, and will not bring them back. Oh well. My dad really liked the redwood.

9. grampi

grampi Member

Double whammy!

10. Ramaniac

Ramaniac Member

Little known factoid A.V.C.L. stands for Aqua Velva Closet Lovers.

They all PM'd each other and made this up.

11. TG_Charles

TG_Charles Member

The three amigos, often attacked and never beaten.
    [​IMG]

12. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    :happy102

13. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Aqua Velva is one of my favorite aftershaves.

14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I see from this thread and one on Gem Pella blades, you've been doing some diggin'! :happy088::happy088:

Jim99 likes this.
  15. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Well, it's still snowing here and I need something to do to keep me from getting cabin fever. There's no denying it... those old threads are interesting.

swarden43 and Demidog like this.
  16. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I used Aqua Velva for countless years because until recently, I never thought twice about shaving and Aqua Velva is one of the few aftershaves that's sold everywhere. After experimenting with some other stuff, I realized that I don't really like it however. It just dries my skin out and it doesn't have any soothing ingredients. It's just alcohol, water, glycerin, and fragrance. I like the stuff with aloe and witch hazel added in as well.

I'm just surprised to find out that some people don't like the scent. It's one of the most generic and "safest" scents out there in that it won't draw any attention one way or another. It's just a very basic musky fragrance.

Linuxguile, Paul Turner and Jim99 like this.
  17. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Although Aqua Velva began as a...(fasten your seat belt)-MOUTHWASH-, they got it right in 1935, thus for 82 years it's been the famous aftershave men have enjoyed.

Demidog likes this.
  18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I've used original AV mouthwash. Yessiree Bob, it wasn't bad.

19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I suppose the blue ACT could be close to what AV was as a mouthwash.

20. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

:rolleyes:

Demidog and gorgo2 like this.