Opinions on blades...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BBBill, Aug 18, 2015.

1. BBBill

BBBill Active Member

After reading many threads about blades picked out 10 mainly low to mid priced blades with mostly positive opinions for my first sampler purchase, I ordered 2 each of the following list.

ASTRA - Superior Platinum
    ASTRA - Superior Stainless
    Gillette - 7 0'Clock - Yellow
    Gillette - Silver Blue
    Perma-Sharp - Super
    Personna - Israeli Reds
    Personna - Lab Blue
    Treet - Carbon Steel :rolleyes:
    Voskhod - Teflon Coated
    Wilkinson - Sword (Indian)

So, any recommendation that I use them in any particular order or just randomly?
    Did I get carried away with choices?? (10 seems like a lot but I actually trimmed it down)

2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Good variety. Keep a journal. Simple notes. Any order. Rating system so you can compare and contrast.
    Or, just use them randomly and enjoy the journey. As your technique improves, so will the results from every blade. Eventually, your technique will be so routined, that you'll know exactly what type of blade your face prefers.

Tdmsu, BBBill and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  3. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

It doesn't matter where you start. The only thing I can recommend is to try and keep all other factors constant. Razor, soap/cream and brush. That way if a blade is not good, you know it's the blade, you can't blame the performance of different soaps.

When I started with my sampler pack I started out with Astra SP and I happened to like them, so if you really want an answer to the question, start with those =)

It's a nice variety thoug

Tdmsu, Spud and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Pick any one. Like Primo wrote keep a simple journal.

Bama Samurai and Boojum1 like this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Random. Keep a journal.

Oh, somebody already said that. ;)

Billyfergie likes this.
  6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

You have a nice sampling of blades. Ten isn't a lot. However IMO you CAN'T try too many blades. The more different blades your able to try the better. Remember what others say about a blade either good or bad, while a good starting point, won't necessarily apply to you and your face. The absolute only way to know if a particular blade will work for your face and technique is to try it!:happy088:
    You can start in any order just remember to pay mind to which blades you've tried and how they worked for you.
    The way I did it was to try 3 different blades, one each day, and then choose a winner. Then the next three, choose a winner, and so on. Then I would go through the same procedure with all the winners, until I found my top three or four blades. I started with many more blades than you however. Then whenever I'd hear or read a bade review that interested me I'd buy a pack and try it.
    While I realize it seems like a waste of money to buy a pack of blades only to discover you dislike them. I also know that like most all of us your also lusting to make you first bulk(100 blades or more) buy. Trust me take the time and spend the tiny amount of money needed to sample as many blades as you can. Otherwise if you jump too early on bulk buying, like me you may wind up with literally hundreds of blade you won't use.:) Of course that's how you begin your blade collection. :happy097:

Billyfergie likes this.
  7. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

As so many others have stated, write a journal or perhaps do what I do. Participate in the shave if the day threads.
    I tend to write a lot of crap, mostly for my own enjoyment :) But I always try to include my impression of the current blade and how it works together with the razor I chose for that particular shave.

I often find myself searching past postings to check up on the various blades I have tried and have found that method to work very well for me.

BBBill likes this.
  8. BBBill

BBBill Active Member

Great, thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking forward to trying out some new blades, when they show up!

Billyfergie likes this.
  9. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

:signs011: I could not have said it better...

Billyfergie likes this.
  10. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Agree 100% on the journal. once you find one that works best, buy enough to start your 30 day rule with that blade to dial in your technique. If you end up with RAD, revisit your blades, what didn't work well in one razor may be perfect in another, (hence the journal).

gmaugie007 and GDCarrington like this.
  11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Bama Samurai likes this.
  12. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

10 really isn't that bad. the sampler I got on the other hand was 96 different blades and then I got a luxury blade pack a budget blade pack and a top 10 blade pack along with a pack of wilkinson swords just in case my razor got to me before my blades. I have liked every personna blade I have tried. I also really liked the astra sp but unlike most I hated feather and vosklod blades. I'm sampling a kai and the gillette line right now.

EDIT: spelling

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  13. Lo'Gosh

Lo'Gosh Well-Known Member

Personally, of the ones you got that I have tried, I am not a fan of Astra at all so far. Like can't stand em. Treet were kinda eh for me. But Voskhod. Ooooooooooooo Voskhod! How many ways can I say I love thee?! lol

Voskhod very quickly became my favorite blade, even beating out my old favorite, Crown by Lord. They're just such a smooth irritation free blade, and it's a huge plus that the teflon coating doesn't bother my skin like other coatings. I wouldn't at all be surprised if you try em and love em. =)

Bama Samurai and mrchick like this.
  14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Make GSB and Voskhod your last two. Nice sampler actually! If you can love Astra SP, you should. They are a great value.

15. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

You should try them in a mild razor. I think trying blades in a mild razor shows you the true characteristics of the blade to create a baseline for what you like.