Out of Barbicide

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by lamontqsanford, Jan 18, 2009.

1. ^ that's a good idea. it's the kind of thing that i doubt i'll go out of my way to find it seeing as there are alternatives, but it would be cool to see my razor soaking in funky blue liquid.

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I will look tomorrow Tracy.. it is the roomies B-day and I have to go to town for a few things. There are several beauty supply places to check.

Fuzzy

3. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I like chlorine bleach. Good stuff.

4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That is what I usually use.

Fuzzy

5. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

Could I use the SB on the gold razor? I wouldn't be scrubbing the razor with it but just putting it into a container to soak.

6. tom myers

tom myers Member

Scrubbing Bubbles should not hurt your gold razor. I use it on virtually every razor I get that isn't NIB. SB is specifically formulated to remove soap scum and it does an outstanding job of that. On a gold razor, the SB soak and a little work with a soft toothbrush is all that it should need to make the razor look as good as it can look, depending upon how much of the original plating and lacquer is still on the razor.

Regards,
    Tom

7. bbsupersport

bbsupersport New Member

I asked my barber about using Barbicide and he dissuaded me from using it, saying that it is an irritant on skin. He suggested using the stronger isopropyl alcohol. I found two strengths available at the local drug store, 70% and 99%.I buy the one that is 99% and use it to sanitize all razors after they have been cleaned with soap and water and then scrubbing bubbles. Once they have been initially sanitized and I'm the only one using them, then I just clean with soap and water.

Also, chlorine bleach is a corrosive and can deteriorate metals if not used carefully. I have used a bleach/water solution for sanitizing (not razors). And you have to use the correct strength of bleach with the proper mixture of water to bleach ratio for no longer than 10 minutes or you risk damaging metal components.

Isopropyl alchohol is effective and easy to use, buy it at 99%, pour in a bowl and submerse your razor for 10, 15 or 20 minutes. Rinse and dry.

I have read about and had many discussions over the years regarding bloodborne pathogens and how long they can or cannot live outside the body. I am satisfied that by the time I have received a used razor and I clean it using soap and water and scrubbing bubbles and then sanitize it using isopropyl alcohol, that it is very safe to use. And it is the razor, not the actual blade.

8. MJL

MJL New Member

Is there any follow up needed post-alcohol soaking, in order to keep the razor in good condition? I have a Merkur Futur, if it's of any relevance.

9. bbsupersport

bbsupersport New Member

If the razor is an adjustable ( like your Merkur Futur ) or a TTO, it has moving parts. So, you could and probably should, lubricate it. I have used mineral oil and just submersed the razor for a few minutes and then wipe it down. There has been some debate on the use of mineral oil and it gumming up the razor. I haven't experienced that myself, but I use the razor and each time I use it, it gets covered in soap or shave cream and rinsed in hot water several times. So, I don't think it gets a chance to get gummed up. Some say to use WD40 to lubricate, which I'm sure is ok but personally I wouldn't like any lingering odour of WD40 while shaving and wouldn't like the possibility of getting any residue on my face.

Otherwise, I don't think it is necessary to do anything to the razor after you have sanitized it using the isopropyl alcohol, if it was cleaned thoroughly beforehand and all soap residue is gone. ( I don't think I mentioned it earlier, but someone may have, but using a soft bristled tooth brush to scrub the razor after a short soak in "Scrubbing Bubbles" makes quick work of cleaning old soap (scum) residue from the razor).

10. The Zook

The Zook New Member

All the real nasties are technically dead by the time you get the razor anyway. A good cleaning is all you really need.

Scrubbing Bubbles is more than effective.

Barbicide and the like are useful for barbers who use the same tool on multiple people in one day.

That said, I use Hydracide on ones I plan on using just to make myself feel better.

11. bbsupersport

bbsupersport New Member

All true...but like yourself, I feel better after soaking them in the isopropyl alcohol.

12. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I soak new razors. Once I have them cleaned to my standard (I've autoclaved some as well) I use them. And put them back on the shelf. And use them again. I dont clean them much. I havent actually cleaned a razor in months and months.

13. Jim Corbett

Jim Corbett Member

Is it okay to put a gold razor in barbicide ?

14. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

To fully clean and sanitize my razors, I put them in my smelter and liquify them and then reshape them to their original state. Works every time.

15. bbsupersport

bbsupersport New Member

A little extreme, but hey, each to his own. :happy102

16. mmack66

mmack66 Member

Are these razors you have been using for a while? I've never felt the need to sanitize razors I have been using, beyond the initial cleaning/disinfecting stage.

17. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Tracy, if that doesn't work out for you, I can go to the Sally's by my house on Wednesday...

18. SALBOSKI

SALBOSKI Member

I just buy the SB in the pump spray bottle and not the spray can. Then take off the cap and pour some in a tupperware container and soak away.

19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The supply house here in town has been closed for the last few days. Not sure why they are closed today

Fuzzy

20. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

Set it on fire, Tracy.

I had a beauty supply shop near my house special order it for me because I couldn't find it anywhere in Boston. Maybe there's somewhere close by that can do that for you? It's always good to ask.